Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
budie

budget grow lights

hey all :) hope your having a good day,

I'm new to indoor growing and am about to start my first indoor micro grow in a water butt that measures .5m x.9m. I'm on a very tight budget and managed to stumble open a couple of 125w cfls for only £10 on ebay. They are classed as 'photography lights' and are only 5500k instead of 6400k/6500k so are not true daylight. Does anyone know if these are suitable for growing? or has any experience growing with 5500k lights?

budie

They'll do mate :yep:

Its a start and within budget

Good luck

Love

Arthur

Are you sure your water butt is 5m x 9m? if so,that 125watt light is wasted in a space that size.

1 person likes this

@@ursus1000 pretty sure those are decimal points prefixing the digits. It's a good size and a fair attempt at a first grow..

;)

I'm on hps now, a one fifty, but if I had to return to cfl I would seriously consider vertical bulbs hung almost beside the plants... Proximity to the bulb and head height are the biggest factors..

After no smell, no tell, no sell...

E2a

Best of luck...

Edited by crystal warrior
2 people like this

@ursus1000 I meant 0.5m by 0.9 :)

@ hanging light between the plants sounds cool might get a couple of extra small cfls to try it out :idea: ill let you know how I get on :)

also anyone one know where I can get cheap E27 to mains leads?

hey all :) hope your having a good day,

I'm new to indoor growing and am about to start my first indoor micro grow in a water butt that measures .5m x.9m. I'm on a very tight budget and managed to stumble open a couple of 125w cfls for only £10 on ebay. They are classed as 'photography lights' and are only 5500k instead of 6400k/6500k so are not true daylight. Does anyone know if these are suitable for growing? or has any experience growing with 5500k lights?

budie

If they're the ones I'm thinking of they're quite large. I had a load for photography. Is that just for the bulb or is there a stand with it? The bulbs I used were like 6 inch long by 3odd inch wide. They were bright though. they lit up a space nicely. A whole room glows like it's in the sun with one of them.. if its the same ones I had. Can't be sure though. Actually... I'm thinking I had those 6500 ones. They were excessively bright the ones I had.

1 person likes this

Sorry,my eyesite aint so good.

@@budie I find its usually cheaper to buy the socket and just wire it up with any flex I've got lying around the house and nick a plug off something if there's not one already on the flex. It's only two wires to screw in, not difficult in the slightest even for someone with 0 electrical knowledge. Job done. Socket costs £3? Ready made lead £10-15?

Edited by Fry

Just to add, if you wire an Edison screw holder yourself, make sure the brown goes to the pin and the blue to the thread part (this is for your safety):yep: as opposed to standard bayonet fittings to which polarity doesn't matter.

1 person likes this

You could try looking for clip-on lights/light holders. They can be cheap and are just a light lead with a spring clip attached. E27 is the US fitting for light bulbs so often available cheaply.

Just check it is rated for the current & voltage you want to use it for.

Edited by Bird

thanks @@Fry ive found some ceramic sockets which should do nicely :)

@@Bird ty ill look into it

1 person likes this

Ikea

I'm sure you'll get something worth having with those lights, worth giving it a bash. My first attempt was under 40, yes, 40, watts cfl 2700k from start to finish. I know!! I know!!

Using bag seeds, I only got a Q from one plant, but it was a very nice smoke... I'm sure you'll do better than that.