Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billabong

Billabong`s Loft Build - Need Some Help With Equipment

36 posts in this topic

Hi, looking for a bit of help

I have been slowly building my grow rooms up my loft

It is a bit of an annoying shape with the trusses going across but I have just built around them

I have insulated the rafters using foil bubble insulation then built my rooms from 50mm celotex, hopefully this will be enough to keep a stable environment.

I have a bit of an idea of how I want to kit out the rooms but obviously with very little experience ( I had a small drobe about 8 years ago, which wasn't very successful) I am not sure if it will all work or it is the best choice

I only want to do this once and do it right..

I am hoping this is were the knowledge of UK420 will come and help ;)

Anyway onto the rooms, still need to finally seal them all up and put some liner down on the floors then figure away to stick some mylar to the walls :g:

Excuse the mess ( and the roughness lol ) it is still a work in progress

Veg and Flower Room

Flowering room at the back and veg room to the left.
I have a space to the left of the flowering room that I am going to use for a drying room, but this requires some more work.
Flowering Room

Flower Room

Flower Room Floor

The dimensions are 118cm deep and 167cm wide
Height is 195cm at the peak and 160cm at its lowest
I want to run a light in between each of the trusses to allow the best light spread
I am hoping for two 600w ? not sure if this will be to much and I would need to go with two 400w ?
Hopefully I have the height to get away with 600w ?
Fan size I have absolutely no idea, I understand I need a good sized fan to cope with the light and for the extra temps that loft growing brings.
Noise is a concern as well, I basically don't want to hear it at all when the hatch is shut at the dead of night when it is silent in the house (and the neighbours)
I am not sure if I can do this RVK`s in a box and acoustic ducting ? or do I need to be looking at quieter fans ?
They will be connected up to a speed controller whether I build one or buy one I haven't decided yet
Veg/Clone/Mum Room

Veg Room

Veg Room Floor

The dimensions are 118cm deep and 105cm wide
Height is 160cm at its highest and 81cm at its lowest
I have 51cm either side of the trusses
Light wise for here initially I am planning on two 2ft T5`s for seedlings and clones
Not sure on the light spread of the T5`s so would I need the 4 tube or could I use the 2 tube ?
Once they have grown up a bit I am wanting to change the lights out for a hps / mh to veg them until they are ready to go into there final pots in the flowering room. not sure on the wattage I need to go for here and again fan size, which I suppose will depend on what wattage of light I want to run.
Looking to get everything ordered up asap so I can get up and running, all ready picked up some physosister and no names during the ugorg 420 offer :naughty: cant wait to give them a try
Any help is well appreciated :notworthy:
Edited by Billabong
3 people like this

Great thread dude.

I'm just about to build my loft grow (just been putting boarding down). Looks like we have a similar sort of loft with those pain in the ass trusses. Would love to hear any tips you have on putting your frame together etc??? just figuring mine out now :g:

Anyway...the big question is mate, how much money do you have to spend? You said you would like two lights for better spread but not sure about wattage. 2 lights is always better than 1 in my eyes, so maybe if you get 2 x 600W with a dimmable ballast, then you can run them at anything from 250W (500W combined) to 600W (1200W combined). That will give you plenty of scope for adjustment.

The fans again depend on money. For me I wanted a powerful fan that was also really quiet and preferably one that could have the speed adjusted. So on that note I'm going for the Phresh Hyperfan Stealth (or something). But it does cost the best part of £200...

Over sized carbon filter again is probably best. Heard not so great things about Rhino lately so avoiding them and looking at other brands (again Mountain Air if you have lots of money to spend).

Best of luck mate

1 person likes this

The trusses are a pain, but I am sure they will come in handy when hanging things and doing some lst ;)

Money isn't really a huge issue, obviously I want it to come in as cheap as possible but if I need to put out some more for better gear then so be it.

Should of mentioned I will definitely be using dimmable ballasts, just whether I go for 400w or 600w ones ;)

If I dont need to use "silent/stealth" fans and can get away with RVK`s then this will save out a good bit of cash

Would be good to hear from some of the other loft growers that are all ready up and running ?

Oversized filter is all ready on the list ;)

Best of luck to your self as well @@SkyRider, I have all ready been keeping an eye on your thread

RVKs are alright, better if you are willing to build a baffle box for them. I have two running at the moment and they generate the majority of the noise I get (the rest coming from the fans on my LEDs). So that's my reasoning anyway. My loft is less insulated than the rest of my house so just a bit para about noise up there being heard outside.

Just had a look on Greens. The difference in price between a 400W and a 600W dimmable ballast is £22.50. So you'd be spending £45 more to get both. Personally I'd spend the money just to have that option available. With good extraction I don't see why you shouldn't be able to pull it off..

If I can box up the RVK`s and make them quiet enough so I cant here them in the room below then that is perfect !

I dont see why I cant get them quiet enough,

as for hearing them outside I cant here my bathroom extractor from outside and it makes a racket lol

It was a RVK (5" high power) I used before and had it in my bedroom and could live with that, it was noisy but I also had a short ducting run and I would say it was more air noise rather than the fan it self

but...... I am thinking I am looking at high power 10" out for the flowering room so may be slightly nosier

i'd suggest a dimmable 600w ballast, 6" or 8" fan for you outtake & use your 5" fan for an active intake, then bang the fans into a good fan controller.

as for your restricted headroom, you'd probably be better just using a euro reflector, it'll use the least amount of headroom compared to most reflectors.

also, as for what T5 lights to get, 2 x 2 would suit you better considering the trusses if they get in the way.

2 people like this

Thanks for the reply @@Joint hogger

I should mention I dont have any of my gear left from before so am starting out again with nothing

I had planned to use euro reflectors in the veg room and powerplant ultralite reflectors for the flowering room, they seem to be the best that will fit between the trusses.

Fan wise I am thinking of using a high powered 8" ruck for the extract and a 8" low power for the intake

Hopefully this will be able to cope with two 400w ?

But the big question will they be quiet enough ?

If I could get away with using the two tube T5`s then that would be good

Would they spread the light over 55cm ? they seem to direct there light straight down ?

I do have the space to fit a 4 tube in if its going to be better

T5's are best positioned just a couple of inches above your plants. For that reason you really don't get much spread with them so it's best to get the biggest your space can fit imo.

For that reason I'm going to upgrade my 2 tube T5 for a 4 tube at some point.

1 person likes this

T5's are best positioned just a couple of inches above your plants. For that reason you really don't get much spread with them so it's best to get the biggest your space can fit imo.

For that reason I'm going to upgrade my 2 tube T5 for a 4 tube at some point.

That was my thinking, I have went for the 4 tubes

Also ordered high power and low power 8" RVK and a rhino pro for the Veg room

Will soon find out if they are quiet enough...........

Good shout then mate. Are you going to run it with 4 blue tubes or mix it up with some red as well?

I'm sure the fans will be fine, if not build a baffle box. That's all silenced fans are anyway :)

Did you get acoustic ducting to go with it or just normal?

Been studying the shit out of your photos. Just doing my last run for wood and floor boards now and then I'll finally have nothing left to procrastinate on and I'll have to start building the frame :)

Got loads more photos if you want a look at anything in particular ?

I did the same here looking at everyone's photos but its quite hard to pick up how people have done some things

The front frame and door was the most daunting for me but just make sure you have a decent sized square and a level and its easy enough :)

Fans will definitely be getting put in a box, got some celotex put aside for this ;) acoustic ducting as well

Going to get some combi ducting for the intake, I am guessing I don't want acoustic for the intake ?

Cheers pal, I appreciate that :) I'll let you know if there is!

tbh I'm still trying to figure a load of things out. Do I follow the trusses or go more free form like you. Do I put a door in like you or just something more make-shift. Think I just need to start getting something down and see how it goes :)

Just need to stop smoking so much and get my ass to the shops now :P

Why do you think you don't want acoustic ducting for the intake? I'm not sure tbh as I've always run passive intakes before. But i do have acoustic (and normal) ducting kicking around here and there's no difference in performance, the acoustic is just a lot more bulky cause it has the extra layers to keep it quiet.

So if it were me I'd probably use the acoustic ducting for the intake as well. Unless I'm missing something?? :huh:

1 person likes this

Hello all,

Long time reader and lurker. Always wanted to grow, but, I have subscribed to the "good things come to those who wait" school of thought. Never wanted to do a tiny little stunted, space-constrained, sub-par grow in less-than-secure accommodation.

So, I've just moved into a nice semi-detached house with a loft! Not only that, it's already got boards down and I can stand up with a good ft or two spare in the middle, and if I wanted, I could actually swing my cat. Space, is not an issue.

I've spent the whole day swotting up in preparation and getting a shopping list going. There's no power other than a light run up at the moment, so next week I intend to run power up there properly from the ring mains with some help. Then, the fun can begin.

I'll set up a thread soon for my own groom but just wanted to say, I will be following you both with interest! I have a 1930's style house, so, taking out a brick for extraction is entirely possible from the chimney flue, however, I really don't want to be structurally changing the house if I can help it. I also have to go out and get some expanding foam pronto, as at points near the dividing wall, you can see through to the neighbours half!!! Deffo no-no.

I think I'm just going to go for a tent for the first attempt. Sounds infinitely easier for a first-timer like me. Given the size of the loft space and the grow I wish to do (6-8), I don't think temperature will be too big an issue. It's extremely well-ventilated and been insulated in the last three years.

I'll pop some pics up soon of the area! Good luck to you man :)

SHiNK

1 person likes this

@@Shinkansen Welcome mate, definitely get your own thread going. Would love to see some pics and your progress :)

My advice, *IF* you can put a tent up then do it. For your first grow you will have so much to get your head around and sort out that anyway to make it easier is a good idea :)

Tents generally cost less than £150 so if you only use it once or twice then decide to make your own it's not a huge loss.

Oh, FYI. My plan now is to have a third area and that will be a little 80 x 80 x 100 tent :) No point building it if I already have it :)

Thanks @@SkyRider ! Indeed, a tent will be a nice way to wrap my head around the variables of a loft op with minimal expense and no weeks of sawing, hacking and chopping. I need to start recording ambient temps up there now I suppose and then see whether or not knocking into the flue will be necessary. There's a sweet shop near me that does a bangin' deal on a Gorilla kit with a 600w HPS and ballast for sub £250. Sounds good enough to me. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's diaries on here with a few coffees today, so the least I can do is return the favour! I'll also make sure it doesn't tail off into oblivion. This is something I've always wanted to do properly!!

SHiNK