Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ameth

A successful NFT grow

25 posts in this topic

I havent seen these nutes before but the do appear rather elaborate. I'd suggest changing to Canna or Plant Magic Nutes for a run or two. If you have laid out for a Haliea another £20 isnt that big a deal. They do hard water options for when you have Chuck Norris type water like you, personally i wouldn't make a cup of tea with it but when in rome ;)

best of luck

Edited by Gozariean

Hi m8 i use nft and with the water chiller u shouldn't really be encountering pythium. But what i use is pythoff so give it a try expensive tho 35-quid good luck tho m8 be starting a new grow i will in 2.wks

I havent seen these nutes before but the do appear rather elaborate. I'd suggest changing to Canna or Plant Magic Nutes for a run or two. If you have laid out for a Haliea another £20 isnt that big a deal. They do hard water options for when you have Chuck Norris type water like you, personally i wouldn't make a cup of tea with it but when in rome ;)

best of luck

I have friends who suggested using Ferro for the same area they use as well. And my friend gets good results with it. So we will see what happens. :)

Hi m8 i use nft and with the water chiller u shouldn't really be encountering pythium. But what i use is pythoff so give it a try expensive tho 35-quid good luck tho m8 be starting a new grow i will in 2.wks

I still get some temperature raises, well from 20 to 23, this is my range. :) yeah, I know pyth off, I use gnat off regurarly, because gnats appear just from nowhere. and you never know when they lay their precious eggs. So I did it today, just before second week of 12/12 to destroy the eggs, if they are present. And I use ORCA for beneficial bacteria that kills pythium bacteria. Now for the first time. And they help to develop good roots system.

1 person likes this

a weekly hit of hydrogen peroxide (half the stated dose).......and bob's yer uncle, no more nasties :oldtoker:

a weekly hit of hydrogen peroxide (half the stated dose).......and bob's yer uncle, no more nasties :oldtoker:

Where do you get this stuff and is it liquid form?

cheers

Have a look on the bay for Hydrogen Peroxide 12% food grade 5l cost me if I recall £8 use at 1ml per litre a couple times a week. Why pay silly money buying in hydro shops. I was using pythoff then I woke up and the only difference that I can see is the money saved. Plants are loving it.

Edited by tokenroll
1 person likes this

Are you switching to flower nutrients at the start of 12 / 12 .

In NFT I use veg nutes for at least the first 2 weeks with about quarter strength flower nutes. I didnt used to do tnis way back when I started growing and always had issues week 4 .

After 2 weeks switch to flower nutes but add quarter strength veg nutes.

Works for me , no yellowing issues.

Not pythium related but helpful for those getting used to NFT .

Cheers

Peds

2 people like this

How much  call mag ish per litre 

On 7/16/2015 at 9:50 AM, tokenroll said:

@@Ameth keep water temps at 20c no higher or root root will creep in. Anything below 18c and plant growth will slow way down, which you don't want especially during veg. Some people drop the water temps last week or two of flowering, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Had a NFT period a while back :) I would always plant in a rockwool slab cut into 4 or 5 inch segments. Then I would wire tie those RW slabs so they were flush with the capillary matting. A spirit level was used to make sure the tanks were flush. I would also check the root system to see if anything had shifted. Before wire tying my slabs, I would see the odd plant look ill because its weight shifted its balance and the roots raised off the matting.

The bigger the reservoir the better. I used 50L tanks at first, but once flowering, I would flush the entire system and make up a new batch every 2 weeks or so. The old solution would be used to feed houseplants and the few pots in the yard.

I guess I done about 6-7 grows with NFT. After a few grows I used Ionic which was just a one bottle feed (no A and B bottles) The only addition was pk 13/14 and a drop of Superthrive. With bugs in the roots on one occasion, I used some peroxide but mixed it well in the tank before recirculating. Pyrethium spray was used also. Plus, in the end, a dehumidifier was needed. In UK so no need for a chiller. Quite the opposite, a small fish tank heater to keep it the right temp.

The flush was important, at least it was 20 years ago. 2 Weeks before harvest, the entire tank would be cleaned out, rockwool slabs flushed several times until the tank EC reading was as low as the tap water. (left for 48 hr) If you did not flush the plants would taste bad. People deluging the plants with high intake nutes could mess up the taste. I rarely went above 1.8 - 2.0. Plus, like I say, the solution is replaced every so often. The 'waste' is ideal for other plants you might have.

Had some fantastic yields with NFT. The rate of growth is amazing for such a simple system. I would also say the taste of NFT was nice, surprised me that there was little difference between my soil grown plants and the NFT. I yielded more hash off the NFT grown plants. That hash was as tasty as organic. Some of the best I ever made.

If weed was legal and I was lucky enough to run some kind of grow, I think NFT would tick the boxes for being perhaps more green than organics. I think you would use less nutrients on a well managed NFT grow than you would with basic soil in the ground crops. With water being a scarce resource in some places, recirculating systems will be a must.

1 person likes this