Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ameth

A successful NFT grow

25 posts in this topic

Hello comrades. I've grown only three times, and all of them were in NFT. I always encountered problems in a 4th week of flowering period. It was either pythium, or something else. I read a lot about how to treat individual problems I was in every time in these three grows. But since then I discovered that many people who tried NFT, have run in to problems in about 4th week of flowering.

I would like to find out from people who have successfully grown NFT from start to the end, and what would be the basic things to do not to run out in to problems at week four.

FOR EXAMPLE: I have found out one tip. Is that I should use magcal additive sometime in the beginning of 12/12 to tackle the problems. Because its when the ladies do most of their rapid grow in the first three weeks of 12/12 and they run in to deficiencies, because they grow faster then in soil and need more magcal. Is that at all true?

Please let me know. Im in a first week of 12/12 would hope this time everything will run smoothly!

Thanks a lot :)

Wat feed do you use? I use pm and use calmag all tge way through as there isnt much calmag in the base feed. My plants always seem to b healthy wen ibuse it every feed

@@Ameth i find the key to nft is to keep it simple

Good luck

Love

Arthur

3 people like this

Ensure your floor is flat and level,if not itll affect the flow and speed of the water,resevoir temps are vital,if it gets too warm you will get pythium,once you had pythium all trays resevoirs etc must be scrubbed clean with a powerful suitable cleaner or pythium will return,summer is not the best time for nft i have learnt thrugh my personal experiences with nft

4 people like this

Ensure your floor is flat and level,if not itll affect the flow and speed of the water,resevoir temps are vital,if it gets too warm you will get pythium,once you had pythium all trays resevoirs etc must be scrubbed clean with a powerful suitable cleaner or pythium will return,summer is not the best time for nft i have learnt thrugh my personal experiences with nft

Altern8, thanks for your replay. I have a chiller, so my temps stay from 20 to 23celsium, the most it stays at about 21. what do you think? is that ok?

Does peroxide help to clean pythium of the surface? I cleaned it with a high concentrate of Pythium, hope it did. :)

Wat feed do you use? I use pm and use calmag all tge way through as there isnt much calmag in the base feed. My plants always seem to b healthy wen ibuse it every feed

Thanks for replying og kushman.

I use Ferro NFT/Aero nutes. These are A and B, Ferro bio crop, bio roots, enzyme plus. I use GEN, and my ph stays from 5.6 to 5.9.

@@Ameth i find the key to nft is to keep it simple

Good luck

Love

Arthur

;)

1 person likes this

If things are only going wrong in the 4th week of flowering (without seeing pictures) I would guess its a cal-mag deficiency.

I use Plant Magic nutes in my NFT and used their boost to resolve this as it pushes the ph of the flowering nutes down to about 5.5 and then lets it drift up to 6.2.

Don't use filtered water, just plain old tap water as this has a background ec which i think the plants prefer.

I'd check your ph pen is calibrated and i would also watch out for a 10 degree difference or more between the res temps and the room temps and between room temps lights on and lights off. If you have always used a chiller then i am surprised you have ever had pythium but yeah, apparently you need to really scrub that out. Peroxide is good for killing every bacteria in the mix but i try not to use it or ph down or any other potions more than i have too, trying to keep it simple.

Best of luck

3 people like this

@@altern8 has mentioned the obvious but .. the obvious can elude us all ... nft can develop spots on your trays where the water is less consistent or dry patches ? A decent all angles spirit level needs to be left in your room

My systems tend to be self built and cannibilised to suit ..it also stops me knocking the trays and this can move your levels and eventually cause problems

@@Gozariean has given you some handy pointers..epsom salts can be used for your cal mag and i noticed your ph is lowish ?? And that is fine but make sure your ph meter is bang on

I do a self levelling system with a ball cock that allows for a low start and slowly rises for a cross the board ph ..its a belt and braces aporoach with tri - meters and i dip a wand and ph pen to double check

Good luck @@Ameth

Love

Arthur

2 people like this

If things are only going wrong in the 4th week of flowering (without seeing pictures) I would guess its a cal-mag deficiency.

I use Plant Magic nutes in my NFT and used their boost to resolve this as it pushes the ph of the flowering nutes down to about 5.5 and then lets it drift up to 6.2.

Don't use filtered water, just plain old tap water as this has a background ec which i think the plants prefer.

I'd check your ph pen is calibrated and i would also watch out for a 10 degree difference or more between the res temps and the room temps and between room temps lights on and lights off. If you have always used a chiller then i am surprised you have ever had pythium but yeah, apparently you need to really scrub that out. Peroxide is good for killing every bacteria in the mix but i try not to use it or ph down or any other potions more than i have too, trying to keep it simple.

Best of luck

hello my friend. I will correct myself, I have a chiller from now on, on my fourth time. :D

@@Ameth keep water temps at 20c no higher or root root will creep in. Anything below 18c and plant growth will slow way down, which you don't want especially during veg. Some people drop the water temps last week or two of flowering, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Edited by tokenroll

if you are getting cal/mag issues using chemical nutes in nft, then i suggest you change the brand of nutes you are using.

@@Ameth keep water temps at 20c no higher or root root will creep in. Anything below 18c and plant growth will slow way down, which you don't want especially during veg. Some people drop the water temps last week or two of flowering, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

its impossible to make temps all the time at 20c. Mine are most of the time 20/21, and about 1/6 of 24 hours 23c. I Use ORCA now to boost beneficial bacteria which stops pythium. Do you know ORCA?

A nice but expensive bit of kit Ameth....is it a Haliea?

My temps have been regularly going over 25 deg but as I check daily I am able to bring this down with top ups and frozen bottles so it doesn't stay high for too long

As said above it is vital your tank is perfectly flat, the top tray has a gradient built into it but u need to watch out for pooling which can happen when the tank is not flat or the pump isn't fast enough. Never heard of ORCA but this is a bug industry and there are lotions and potions aplenty to choose which may or may not help. Sometimes i add a hit of Hyd-Peroxide but rarely. What nutes are you using at the moment and is your tap water particularly soft?

A nice but expensive bit of kit Ameth....is it a Haliea?

My temps have been regularly going over 25 deg but as I check daily I am able to bring this down with top ups and frozen bottles so it doesn't stay high for too long

As said above it is vital your tank is perfectly flat, the top tray has a gradient built into it but u need to watch out for pooling which can happen when the tank is not flat or the pump isn't fast enough. Never heard of ORCA but this is a bug industry and there are lotions and potions aplenty to choose which may or may not help. Sometimes i add a hit of Hyd-Peroxide but rarely. What nutes are you using at the moment and is your tap water particularly soft?

Whats up Gozariean? Yeah, it is Haliea. I just thought I will buy it once and will be settled. Before I was using bottles aswell and toping up with cold water, same as you. I use Ferro NFT/Aero nutes.

http://plant-nutrients.co.uk/NFT-Aero-Substrate.html

They have regional nutes for Essex, or Greater London, so Im using the ones for my area. And also all their additives.

Im in a hardwater area. So it is not soft at all. :)

Thanks for caring Goza :)