Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

oldtimer1

Ot's new patch

168 posts in this topic
10 minutes ago, oldtimer1 said:

cardboard above compost makes a home and breeding area for slugs

Bugger! lol  I`ll keep a close eye on activity then, I was hoping the cardboard would just breakdown over winter. I`ve only got a few plants left near the cardboard and was planning to cover the lot when they are gone so there will be nothing for the slugs to eat at that point until I start again in the spring.

As for melons, I was blown away by the taste of fresh melon, then bought one from the shop as I liked it so much, needless to say it was very bland, so I`ll try the ones you recommend above next year. Do you grow any outdoors, or are they all to delicate in our climate?

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, ratdog said:

As for melons, I was blown away by the taste of fresh melon, then bought one from the shop as I liked it so much, needless to say it was very bland, so I`ll try the ones you recommend above next year. Do you grow any outdoors, or are they all to delicate in our climate?

I've never had success in the open, had good results under a plastic tunnel cloche and a plastic frame with sweetheart, I don't believe that the sweetheart seeds now sold on ebay and the like are the real deal, if I was trying again I think I would try  with MM from real seeds, but melons like heat, don't plant out  under glass/plastic until average temps reach about 18˚c under cover. In real soil is best not pots and cover is best IMHO.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, oldtimer1 said:

Yesterday I stripped the last  outdoor tomatoes plants, we had 7 mountain magic plants while we have been picking and using the outdoor tomatoes for salads and cooking since early july

we mainly grow outdoors for making passata and tomato paste. I can say that this variety has not had one blighted leaf, we had one gardeners delight in the middle of one of the rows and

it was black with blight at the end of august and was composted back then. I did not weigh the tomatoes taken over the last 3 months.

Here are the plants as I was stripping them, you can see the dead cucumbers and courgettes in the distance between the rows.

That is a great haul for outdoor toms at this time of year, I'll have to try and remember the strain, last year our oudoor lebanese courgettes lasted until late October, mildew free, but died early this year, the fruit were more like marrows too rather than the pale, firm corgettes of last year, I think the 2018 packet may have been mislabled. An indoor tomato that we have grown for the last 2 years with great sucess is Tigerella not maybe a salad tomato though

2 people like this