Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerrySarielal-Rahim

Advice on how my seedlings are looking, please ...

52 posts in this topic

Advice on how my seedlings are looking, please ...
----

Hello All,

I really love this site/ forum, tons of friendly advice, I've enjoyed taking it at my own pace taking in what I'm reading, a lot to learn.

I'm technically not a newbie, but kind of want to claim the status as it's got to be 7 or 8 years since my first real (one and only) previous attempt at growing, that was messed up by light leakage in the 12/ 12 flowering stage (harsh lessons) ... now I'm back, a proper tent (not like before), older and hopefully a bit wiser ...

Hopefully the following won't be too scatty and all over the place.

Set up is;
1.2m x 1.2m black 'mylar' tent, running a 600 hps in a loft
10 feminised seeds in 3C Coco medium
5x Strain Hunters Money Maker
5x Heavyweight Fruit Punch

[i've no idea if 10 plants is going to be too much for the tent, or if the fruit punch grows too high, I guess time with tell ... the 2 metre tall tent has had to lose some inches to fit in the loft space, but not much]

I think I had the 600 hps way too low to start with (thankfully didn't fry the poor things) was 2 and half foot at the closest, I keep moving it away, and away, it's at the top of the tent now! I have a circulating fan inside the tent coming on, at it's lowest setting, for 15 mins every hour (not at night) ... the 5" TT extractor fan is sucking away seems quite effective at getting rid of the excess heat now it very close to the hps.

The temperature was 28 oC at its highest (though touching 30 early part of last week i.e. when no over cast skies) ... but only 18 oC at 'lights off/ night' :-s the (relative) humidty
was always been on the low side 30% (higher at lights off), I figure it'll pick up as seedlings get bigger (though I did read the whole thread here about mini- foggers etc) ... should I be worried, *really* worried about a 10 degrees drop in temps??

I've just been looking into the (initial) cost of greenhouse tube heatern, as recommended by somewhere, somewhere else, on this forum (sorry forget your name).

I introduced 4 diy'd 24w 6400k cfl's (120 w equivalent power), as the hps was at the top (bayonet fixings, lengths of two core cable, plugs and a seg. timer all cobbled together and then dropped in from the top of the tent), these spiral cfl things add some natural/ blue light into the mix, good for seedlings/ vegging (or so I've read). I have the cfl's about 12 inches above the seedlings, maybe I should raise them another foot??
Oh and I am running 20 hours on 4 off for lights (though I did start with 18/6 for abour 5 or 6 days). Are Cfl's ok at this height or should be further away?

Sorry this post is turning into a long thing.

The seedlings are 11 days old now, all 10 germed, 9 of the 10 less than 36 hours, one took a day longer ... and this one is struggling, one of the cotyledon pair never 'opened' and is now causing a problem for the next leaf pair emerging :-s

Photos attached;
#1 'late' germing Heavyweight Fruit Punch seed,
#2 Heat damage ?? on cotyledon of another Fruit Punch seedling.
#3 Heat damage ?? on leaf tip of a Strain Hunters MM seedling.

... any thoughts, advice, on anything I've mentioned above and indeed general curiosity would be all appreciated ;-)

Herbally Yours,

Jerry Sariel al-Rahim

20150519 023424 Rs1

20150519 024102 Rs1

20150519 024356 Rs1

Edited by distracted

Cfls can be put as close as a couple inchs. Use the back of your hand to gauge if it's too warm

Hi mate .. few questions, what are you feeding them currently, and why so many plants in a small place? Do you intend to run a sog sort of grow?

Few things I would change is go for a blue spectrum light for your veg cycle. They offer better advantages at the early and veg stages of the plant. I would also use smaller pots to start your seedlings off in future, the bigger the pot the harder it is for the seedling to establish it's self correctly. You want to take advantage of potting up techniques to unsure you have a nice even root growth throughout the pot.

As for feed, if your feeding them things full strength nutes or anywhere near, STOP or you will loose them all. In coco you need to be giving them a starter feed OR use your regular feed nutes but at a very low dosage. Also make sure you have a light breeze blowing over them to stiffen the stems up or they will flop all over. You don't want a Gail blowing on them but a very light breeze.

Hope this helps, this is all stuff I've learnt the hard way haha

Also your temps are too high really I would say. Try bring them down a few degrees. The fan should be on all the time mate to move the airflow around and keeps your leaf temps down. The hps light will work but would defo get a mh if I was you. The lower temps at night aren't a massive issue but you won't get the best out of your plants if all these little things keep stressing the plants. Minimum 20 degrees with lights off, just spend a little extra if you can afford it on sorting the environment ,it will pay off BIG time in the finished result bud

Edited by CoCoGrow

they look ok uptp now mate , follow cocs advice . also they will benefit from a higher humidity at this stage

Thank you for the replies good people.

CoCoGrow -

I guess I thought there was enough room for so many plants :-s ... no I wasn't thinking of a sog grow, maybe I'll have to now?

The smaller pots I'm using, 6" diam. (and depth) are 1 litre ish, I thought that was about right to start with?

The larger ones (7" diam.) I really should have known were too big, it was me being too keen to start, using what I had lying around (everything got a good wash and rinse before I used them).

Ahh right 'even root growth' should have thought about that, that's another thing learned then :-) I have my eye on some cheap ishh but sturdy (new) square litre pots on ebay.

I always intended, with the grow, to re pot to bigger (4.5/ 5 gallon) buckets, fits the footprint of the tent.

Re night temps ... just started last night I kept the cfl's on 24/7, will only be for 2 more days max, hopefully (when greenhouse warmer is supposed to arrive), the low last night was 20 oC, with cfl's on, so just about getting by .

Yeah I don't have a MH lamp, that will be on the shopping list for the next grow (money willing)

Nutes - only Formulex stuff (came with the tent, light, ballast, fan, coco deal) and at half strength what the label says and only twice so far, last monday night and this monday night.

Ok the circulation fan in the tent stays on all the time now! The extraction fan is running constant day time, off at night (humidty does go up at night).

Easy01-

It seems quite dry (40 max.) in the loft itself and it's always 30, low 30's, when the hps on, though it's only passive (no fan!) intake.
I was reading something on this forum earlier this week, about a diy mini- fogger/ mister thing.

I'm glad no one is worried, like I was at first, about the 'spots'/ 'damage' on the seedling leaves in the photos I attatched, still ont sure to snip of the one with it at the tip (it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger).

I thought I'd add a piccy of the whole grow room, {gentle} criticsm welcome ... don't mind the other stuff in there, Cinnamon Basil, Lemon, chillies {that are doing nothing}.

Herbally Yours,

Jerry Sariel al-Rahim

----

20150519 023052 Rs1

Edited by distracted

Don't have the fan blowing directly at the seeding as you can end up damaging the leaves.

Ta Pungent ... circulation fan is blowing into one corner of the tent and
it's not oscillating like it was before, still a nice draft blowing around :-)

* Quick watering question in this 3C Coco *
This is the first time I've used this stuff, I've just been looking at other
threads and I think I've not been watering enough ...
I should be really drowning the seedlings and waiting for a run off in the
posts? I've been giving them a decent volume of water (but not run off)
every 2 or 3 days (when pot gets light, and dry under the surface for an
inch or so). Also thought I read (lol maybe I made it up!? :-s) someone
in a thread recently saying you should keep coco wet on top at all times.

Seedlings seem to be nicely coming along ... will post some pics again
soon. Also greenhouse heater, with thermostat, arrived earlier today,
about to go and set it up.

All the best you all you lovely people [need to find my Hawkwind cds
and old audio tapes ;-)]

Herbally Yours,

Jerry Sariel al-Rahim

With coco it's different to soil based growing. It's pretty much classed as hydroponic. So really you want to keep the coco damp, never let it dry fully. Feel the weight or a pot when it's dry, at your stay it should feel almost like your holding an empty pot. Then feel the weight of one after you water it until run off. Don't "drown" them lol as you may damage the root formation. Water them slowly, go round all the plants bit by bit ad come.back round 2-3 times to alow the coco to absorb it properly. Once you see a little drop come out the bottom then poor in another 50mm or so for a 1ltr pot and let it run out properly. Alow the pot to sit in the water a few moments ensuring the coco is properly wet, then take it out and let it drip for a minute. Put it back into its home and then next day judge how it feels, to see if it wants water. It's not a case of leaving it a set time, it's when it needs watering it needs watering.

When I water mine it looks like the top layer of coco has dried out , about a 1cm depth. When you move the top layer of coco out the way it then goes dark and feels damp still, but not wet to the touch. The pot feels lighter but not bone dry light. This is when I water mine. Temps/ humidity / size of plant / stage of plants life all determine how fast the pot will dry up, and sometimes 1 or 2 plants may not need watering when the others do. It's nothing to be worried about.

Back to your original questions, heater is good. Keep your extractor on all the time. You want a constant fresh supply of air. It would be similar for me to say to you keep yourself outside all day breathing nice fresh air, but then lock yourself in a small tent at night with no airflow. It will become stale fast and the ratio of oxygen vs carbon will change, and remember plants need carbon dioxide to live. With the heater set on 21 degrees and your extractor on you should never have a problem with cold again.

Pot size. .. scrap the 4 gallon idea mate. Assuming you don't want a long veg cycle and want more than 1 plant then don't use the 4 gal pots at all. I would say 6.5 ltr pots would be fine for that size tent, the larger the pot the bigger the plant will grow and the longer it will take to fill it too. So your veg time will be much longer and you will create over crowding issues that will become a problem for you and loose you some yield.

As for humidity, keep a bucket of water that you intend to fees the plants with in the room to alow the water to settle and any chems evaporate. Also let's it warm up to room temp too, this tied with the more accurate watering schedule you should be now following will raise your humidity level up a decent bit. When the plants are a bit bigger also you can get a spray mist guna and just spray the leaves on the plant like rain, the plants like this and it will again increase the humidity. Don't mist them with water once you flip to flower though, only ever in veg .

Hope it helps bro, my fingers are knackered again going for a rest haha

1 person likes this

Thank you CoCoGrow for taking the time, really detailed, top advice,
hope your fingers recovered :-)

Watering - it turns out I water with the same technique as you (I
have kept houseplants before), but just not with enough volume it
seems ... I gave them all a proper drench (but not a drowning!)
about four days ago now and noted the weight of the pots before
and after.
I guess I'd not thought of this coco coir stuff as should be treated
as more hydroponic in nature (this is the first time I've used it).

Pot size - thanks for talking me out of the plastic buckets, which I
think are actually 2.5- 3 gallon, not 4, not sure where I got 4 from,
but anyway still too big. On ebay 6.5l is an awkward size, 5, 7.5
and 10l are much more common, not that I have to get them from
ebay, but the garden centres do seem like an expensive places to
shop!
10x 7.5 litre are on their way (the damn plastic saucers cost more
than the pots per) ... seedlings will be three weeks old on Friday
and some of the roots are just reaching the bottom of the present
pots, nice and white, thinkng about poking out the draining holes.
So time to re- pot?

It's going to have to be a mix of coco and seedling compost as I
won't have enough coco.

I'm struggling to keep daytime grow room temp down i.e. haveing
unzip tent to cool it down ... I think I am going to have to get an
intake, in- line fan and some alu ducting, the only place I can think
of drawing in cooler air is from the hatch into the loft, going to
quite a distance, hope the fan will be able to pull it the distance!

The heat tube, while it has a little dial for the thermostat it is not an
exact science, but after a couple of nights I have it where it needs
to be ... the min. temp was 21 oC last night. 500mm tube + stat,
55W, 22 quid incl. p&p, ebay, really can't compain about that.

Here's another thing ... my tent is 1.79m (not the orignal 2m) in
height, as I had to saw off about 7 inches on each metal upright tube,
due to loft max. height I have to work with :-s ... this means I have
1.35m between the top of pots and hps at top of tent, hoping this
is not going to be a problem. There are two strains in the tent, the
likely tallest one is;

'Heavyweight Fruit Punch' [70/30 (sativa/indica)]

I found this on the forums;
https://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=225888

'uk cheese fiend'
Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:40 PM
'Beaut plant. 2 weeks into flower very bushy medium stretch so far
smells strong. Happy days!!'
----

So fingers crossed.

I also need to get some strong clips (probably better than bulldog
ones) to keep the 'extra' bit of tent tucked over at the top, or
the zip can get tricky to handle, arghhh nothing like creating my
own problems.

One thing I am little worried about is how light green/ yellow (but
not really yellow) the lower leaf pairs of the seedlings are going,
I think it must be from having the temp. a little too high :-/ ?

I've added three new photos, they are 3 days old though now (I
got busy and didn't post them sooner), soo two weeks old seedlings
exactly in these photos.

Herbally Yours,

Jerry Sariel al-Rahim

20150524 230032 Rs1

20150524 225304 Rs1

20150524 225212 Rs1

I think I'd better do some reading up ... foliar feeding etc
It just suddenly hit me ...
Should I be misting the leaves of the seedlings? To help not dry out so much.
I kind of thought getting the leaves wet was a bad idea as it'd lead to them
being burnt (magnifying lamp heat?)

JSaR

I spray my seedlings, they enjoy the humidity, I've done it under 250 and 300W CFL's before without burning them. Just don't keep them constantly soaking wet.

Edited by Deathrow558

Cheers for that Deathrow 558 ...

I'm still not sure what to do for the best, as I suspect comparing cfl to hps
isn't the same thing. I can see the humidity boost being useful though
(for seedlings/ vegging).

JSaR

I spray my plants every now and then in veg, once it's flower time then it's a no go to avoid bud rot.

Try to keep your medium all coco mate as your compost has nutes in as well so you don't have an exact idea of what's being fed to your plants.

Height wise, you should be ok as long as you top them when it gets too close. You could always do a scrog , I struggle for height in my room so I scrog for this reason. You get a better yield too if you do it right.

Sweet ... thanks again CoCoGrow ...

Noted on the spraying and dealing with height issues.

I think I'll manage to get through with all coco now, stumbled upon a good (hopefully), cheap
source (when/ if they get more in!), 'Hydro CoCo' slabs that you add 6 litres to, in a bagm to
make 10 l coco, £1 a go from Poundland, only got 2 so far (+ some other stuff, like 'Hydro
CoCo' Grow and PK13/14 bottles etc) ... of course I looked it up here (uk420 site forums) and
there's been a thread up over a year ago about it :-) lol ... this site is such a brilliant place.

Ohhh ... Seaweed while I remember! So it has *no* N-P-K nutrient value?! I've looked and
looked on t'net. + here and nothing ... well anyway I have some old (smells ok) Vitax Organic
liquid seaweed, halved the doseage and gave it a whirl, it's suppose to help stressed plants
and 'stimulates' them, I've heard/ read people swear by the stuff.

JSaR

1 person likes this