Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ELO

Coco Run Off EC Level

So I'm getting run off EC of 2.05, now the feed I'm putting in currently is around 1.40, my question is should the run off be the same as the feed thats getting put in or is it normal for the run off to be higher? :huh:

My last grow which was my first coco grow I left them sitting in the run off and by the end of the grow I was getting EC levels of 5.00-7.40 so obviously a build up of salts from sitting in the run off, this time though I've been giving them plenty of run off and removing the run off each feed plus the pots are sitting of the deck using rubber blocks so aren't in the run off at all.

Edited by ELO

The e.c of coco run off is very misleading due to way the plant works with the medium. The cation exchange swaps and dumps nutrients with your plant, so it's not an accurate picture. Google canna coco slurry test, that should give you a better idea.

But - what do the plants look like? If they look ok don't worry about it.

5 people like this

A good few licensed/medi growers in the states swear by keeping run-off ec ~even *or a bit higher & ph within half a point or so, fwiw..

Think mine always looked better when it was ~even on the way out too. When ec was significantly higher than what was going in it usually correlated with overfeeding for sure. I kept an eye on the run-off because I'm contrary-wise and like tinkering & measuring etc, but you'd think a high ec slurry would = a high ec run-off anyway.. I had it come out at a similarly high level (ec 2+) during one grow, and the plant looked a bit annoyed but not necessarily overfed (think I was at 1.4-1.6 inc tap @.5) so I decided to feed very low (<ec .8-1) for a while to see what happened. They stayed deep green in mid flower while the ec returned to ~even, also suggesting I had been overfeeding. Carried on feeding at 1.2-1.3 ish a week or so later, at the first sign of hunger, and the plant yielded ~11oz in a 10l pot, which for me is great (and I'm usually increasing feed at the point I starved this one).

I'm sure there are many factors to it though (type & age of coco, whether you rinse it first, additives used, frequency of watering, etc) as GS said.

Edited by uBercaMeL
4 people like this

The e.c of coco run off is very misleading due to way the plant works with the medium. The cation exchange swaps and dumps nutrients with your plant, so it's not an accurate picture. Google canna coco slurry test, that should give you a better idea.

But - what do the plants look like? If they look ok don't worry about it.

Here's a good advice.

4 people like this

As long as your feeding them everyday with a decent run off ,keeping the medium wet , and your plants look healthy you should be good

3 people like this

I've read many posts about measuring the run off in coco and I've now come to the conclusion that it is purely a way of complicating what can be a simple method. As above if your plants look good then all's good!

2 people like this

Thanks for your input guys :yep:

Ye the plants I have are Mr Changs Suicide Cheese and they look spot on I was more just wondering as my last grow which was my first grow I was watering but leaving them in the run off rather than removing it and by about weeks 6 I measured my run off and it was anywhere between EC 5.2-7.5 and the plants were showing signs of to much nutes, obviously this was bad practice and the salts must have been building up rather than the excess salts being removed.

Was just concerned that the salts were some how building up again, but I give them like 2L each and they are in 5L pots so getting I would guess 500ml ish of run off through each plant, looking lovely either way so I'll keep going as is :yep:

3 people like this

Was just concerned that the salts were some how building up again, but I give them like 2L each and they are in 5L pots so getting I would guess 500ml ish of run off through each plant, looking lovely either way so I'll keep going as is :yep:hi, you can always use a flush once a week, I use just water once a week so they can use up the nutes in the coco. I do this with mothers too

1 person likes this

Was just concerned that the salts were some how building up again, but I give them like 2L each and they are in 5L pots so getting I would guess 500ml ish of run off through each plant, looking lovely either way so I'll keep going as is :yep:

hi, you can always use a flush once a week, I use just water once a week so they can use up the nutes in the coco. I do this with mothers too

Got to be careful doing this as you risk washing the cation exchange away, which means you'll be chasing deficiencies because the coir is taking more from the solution that it otherwise would've, making it unsuitable for plant growth. If you're going to flush, flush with a very small amount of base nutrients which I know sounds contradictory...

However, if you're feeding properly in coir you shouldn't have to flush until the absolute very end before harvest away. I usually settle the E.C between 1.4 - 1.6 depending on the strain.

:yep:

5.2-7.5

:shock: what meter are you using ?

:shock: what meter are you using ?

Just the HM Digital from Greens, seems decent enough and I always calibrate it and to be honest I hardly use it, I use HM PH meters as well andd seem spot on again.

I think those high readings were from salt build ups in both the coco and more so the trays as I was never removing the the run off.

Got to be careful doing this as you risk washing the cation exchange away, which means you'll be chasing deficiencies because the coir is taking more from the solution that it otherwise would've, making it unsuitable for plant growth. If you're going to flush, flush with a very small amount of base nutrients which I know sounds contradictory...

However, if you're feeding properly in coir you shouldn't have to flush until the absolute very end before harvest away. I usually settle the E.C between 1.4 - 1.6 depending on the strain.

I only do that if I've over fed, but I do just use plain water once a week tho, 4 my sins lol
1 person likes this

I haven't and probably never will. I measure it when I feed and have plenty of runoff.

They have fresh feed every day, twice a day in heavy flower.

I feel the key is to never over feed the plants as once they are burned it is difficult to detect further mishaps. If they look like the need more just increase it a tiny amount per day. Growing is a marathon not a sprint lol

Happy growing all

Wizard :oldtoker:

2 people like this