Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joba

fishing for pike

53 posts in this topic

I've been a keen pike fisherman for over 15 yrs now. I don't go as much as I used to but I've managed a couple of blank sessions this winter!

I'm lucky to have my own private fishing spot in the garden as my property backs onto the Grand Union canal. I used to be able to pull a couple of jacks out every session until recently. Apparently some shit-head farmer dumped 5000 galls of silage into the canal about two miles upstream from me. The local fishing club came and electro-netted the cut and took all this fish for safe keeping. They should be returned to canal soon. Included in the haul was a pike of 'about 22'!! They'd better put that one back!!

My best session was on Rickmansworth Aqaudrome in Hertfordshire when one afternoon I got a 15lb, a 19lb, a 20lb and a 221/2lb all in the space of three hours. I returned to fish there and the 'boating lake' where I caught them is now no fishing! The reservoir I fish now has huge pike but I just get 8lb -12 lb-ers.

2 people like this

Up your dead bait size - only the bigger pike will go for it -down side = longer spaces between fish - i some times go the day before and throw a couple of frozen tins of cat food in for chum(minus the tins :lookaround: )

can you do this from a beach and when is the best time of the day to do so?

I have fished in my teens in Mediterranean Sea,loved it but what I have seen in England was shocking,never seen anything like it,the tides and waves.

Big respect

lure fishing for bass is indeed from the beach, but you have to be carefull as tides can quite easily catch you out, and if you do not know the area then you could find yourself in trouble. if possible, do not fish alone, try and go with somebody who knows the beach.

aim to fish from low tide to high, backing up and fishing the surf as the tides comes in, lots of lures will catch you a fish(most lures catch the fisherman)

if you would like to give it a try sometime, gimme a shout and i will happily show you the basics around the formby area.

1 person likes this

I spent a fantastic day once, Fly Fishing (which is mainly what I do) ~ for pike, on the river Ouse between York city centre and Bishopthorpe Palace! I used a strong rod, No. 10, with relevant line and at the business end a salmon lure. I had multiple "Chasers" which were evident from their bow wave as they turned and gave chase. Finally I found the right retrieve rate, and hooked into a feisty 7lb Jack. Returned it to the murky waters of the Ouse, to fight another day. It swam of immediately, looking none the worse for wear.

2 people like this

I couldn't catch a cold never mind a fish. I do fancy fly fishing, there are many people up here (scotchland) that offer lessons , would they be worthwhile or should I just wing it?

I couldn't catch a cold never mind a fish. I do fancy fly fishing, there are many people up here (scotchland) that offer lessons , would they be worthwhile or should I just wing it?

if you can, i would go with a lesson or two, the amount you will learn in a couple of lessons will get you casting correctly, then its away ya go, if you are not casting right, it can be hard work for ya.

3 people like this

if you can, i would go with a lesson or two, the amount you will learn in a couple of lessons will get you casting correctly, then its away ya go, if you are not casting right, it can be hard work for ya.

+1

Lesson 1: Imagine a post your height with a nail in it at c. shoulder level. Now tap that nail gently in with a hammer, just hard enough to move it slowly into the wood over a few blows. That's the (Action) you want. I struggled for years before I took a lesson, and this was my first lesson! Yours, for free; it cost me £45 in 1985!!!

Tight lines!

4 people like this

Ye defo worth getting a lesson or 2, have you got fly gear already? You going for trout or Salmon or both?

1 person likes this

Fishing = doing something while doing nothing :thisbig:

Space and time to defragment my mind

1 person likes this

Got a bundle of Fly rods here that I don't use any more. They're going onto gumtree or down the charity shop soon. Good rods, too. Fly fishing is now well beyond my ability, sadly. Bloody spinal disease has removed all my main hobbies one by fucking one, the bastard!

Edited by Arnold Layne
1 person likes this

@@nwestray I'll go with the lessons then,@@ELO not sure what I'd fish for I'd be happy just to catch one.

@@Arnold Layne

There's nowt wrong with watching someone else flailing about while you shout instructions from a deckchair on the bank tho?

I'm sure we could brew up some nice bottles of pale ale to go wiv it too.

Got waders will travel!

Edited by Darwin
1 person likes this

:rofl:

@@Arnold Layne, I'm sorry to hear that. I know a fellow that was confined to his living room chair due to pain from cancer, the doc changed his painkillers to 20mg oxynorms (amongst other painkillers) and it gave him a new lease of life for approx 6 months. I see many people with various conditions and outwith those that have dementia, pain of all sorts is really what seems to put the kibosh on retirement plans. It's made me realise that I need to live for today.

just my 2p

1 person likes this

@@nwestray I'll go with the lessons then,@@ELO not sure what I'd fish for I'd be happy just to catch one.

Trout is probably the easiest to fish for and there is loads of fisheries about, Salmon is where its at but you'll fish for many hours without a catch at times lol

If you buy a Salmon setup it'll do for Pike as well, fly fishing for Pike isn't a big thing up here yet but getting more popular.

Fly gear is dam expensive as well, Glasgow Angling Centre have a wychwood rod and reel wt #10/11 I think and either 13 or 14ft for £100 and the reel is about £50 I think, thats about the cheapest good make for Salmon they have.

They have a deal on as well just now a guidline rod, lst reel with all your lines etc and flys for £300.

3 people like this