Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cypher

Nitric acid vs citric acid for ph control

19 posts in this topic

I'm using nitric acid from BAC at the moment. I see that my ph is always rising after a day, forcing me to add more and rising the ec value.

I see people using citric acid. Do they have the same experience? Or are there big differences in the used acids?

I use citric acid on the advice of @@superx as he said it was better for the microherd in coco but I'm pretty sure he said its not very stable in tanks.

2 people like this

Are there any other, more stable alternatives?

i use phosporic acid (81%) pH down

I'm using nitric acid from BAC at the moment. I see that my ph is always rising after a day, forcing me to add more and rising the ec value.

I see people using citric acid. Do they have the same experience? Or are there big differences in the used acids?

do you have a similar problem as me?maybe ?

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=355624&hl=

Edited by joba

Same problem. Do you have a pump in your tank to keep the water moving?

yep and also water stone.wilma system here

just it got worse so done food in 10l buckets instead and that's what i came up with.

pH of plain water rised significantly.don't want to call united utilities to ask why................... (from 7.7 to 9.8)

I ran out of PH down last year, was broke at the time so just bought some lemons every week and that worked a treat for me

i do realise it goes up EC and pH in recirculating systems and got use to it but now when my pH is 9.8 it is sooo difficult to make it ballanced EC and pH

phosporic acid I found is very good, used by fish farm to lower PH and does no affect the bacteria in their filters.

1 person likes this

Did some more research, seems there is a lot to learn about pH and buffering:

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-chem.html

Usual tapwater seems to be very hard to lower pH due to huge buffers.

Any people using distilled or filtered water and able to stabelize the Ph?

i use phosporic acid (81%) pH down

A legend one here named Darwin, said to me nitric acid is better than phosphoric acid, especially come flushing/ harvest time, as nitrogen is way more water soluble than phosphorous :-)

A legend one here named Darwin, said to me nitric acid is better than phosphoric acid, especially come flushing/ harvest time, as nitrogen is way more water soluble than phosphorous :-)

Not a fan of phosphoric acid eater as I read it could couse algea problems in the tank.
It would also be hard to keep the phosphor levels under control when using a closed productline for additives.
Edited by Cypher
1 person likes this

I use vinegar (cheap from Asda, and bi carb of soda for PH up and it works a treat again in not on hydro or in a tank I mix and feed ao cant vouch for stability of either

ATB

1 person likes this

It looks like I have broken the Ph buffer, it's stable for now..

Will be using ground water instead to prevent buffers and keeping the EC low.