Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

grogirl

Instant pot.....

131 posts in this topic

You have started a cult grogirl lol

1 person likes this

I'm a maverick @@mrrichiet and yes I only give it 1 min on steam. It's more about getting the quantity of water right than the time I think. Try it! It's spot on for me!

Still use the pot daily. Today I made a curry, my little girl really like a 'smooth' curry sauce with just sauce and lumps of chicken, I don't usually give in but today I sautéed the spices onion garlic peppers etc then added rough chunks of sweet potato, half a cup of water when steam for 5 mins, then I blended in the pot with a stick blender. Fried the chicken with tuneric and salt and pepper then chucked it into the sauce with a bit of extra butter for luck.

Let us know how you get on :)

2 people like this

Which model should I buy? I am ready to buy one. I've been busy the last few months so not had chance. I cant see them in Argos?

1 person likes this

@@Comrade Stoker I've got the six in one. But the newest is the seven in one and I would go for that next time, it's got a yogurt function.... Which I suspect might be good for other things. I think you can only get them from Amazon. I think there may be alternatives available, a quick look at Argos throws up the pressure King pro which looks similar, make sure the inner pot is stainless steel though, that way you can use stick blenders or whisks straight in the pot.

Despite my fear of re igniting the great mashed potato feud of 2013 I will tell you my mash potato method....

Potatoes rough chopped skin on and everything, one small cup of water, full steam for 6 mins, quick release, Splash of milk, chunk of butter salt and pepper, then I use an electric whisk and whisk the shit out of them. You get mega mega fluffy mash this way, perfect every time and super efficient!

3 people like this

@@Comrade Stoker I've got the six in one. But the newest is the seven in one and I would go for that next time, it's got a yogurt function.... Which I suspect might be good for other things. I think you can only get them from Amazon. I think there may be alternatives available, a quick look at Argos throws up the pressure King pro which looks similar, make sure the inner pot is stainless steel though, that way you can use stick blenders or whisks straight in the pot.

Despite my fear of re igniting the great mashed potato feud of 2013 I will tell you my mash potato method....

Potatoes rough chopped skin on and everything, one small cup of water, full steam for 6 mins, quick release, Splash of milk, chunk of butter salt and pepper, then I use an electric whisk and whisk the shit out of them. You get mega mega fluffy mash this way, perfect every time and super efficient!

Cheers grogirl. I will get one ordered.

RE the mashed potatoes, perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but you're sounding like you're a non-believer with the ricer, the locals won't like this.

2 people like this

Anyone who is still committed to 'Ricing' has not tried whipping yet. And that is a FACT.

@@Comrade Stoker

The 7-in-1 is in Am@zon deals of the day today for a oner. In honour of your birthday no doubt.

Edited by Bird
1 person likes this

Last night I made honey, chilli and sesame chicken. Not the healthiest of meals but it tasted better than any Chinese takeaway and for the fraction of the cost.

2 people like this

@@mrrichiet made some rice today, about half the quantity I usually do, bout 250g as opposed to 500g and it was a bit underdone at 1 min, would probably have been better at 3/4 mins. :)

1 person likes this

I have just joined the instant pot club.

First go tonight was butter chicken;

Sliced onion on saute for 5min with big chunk of butter

Add 5 x garlic cloves and thumb sized piece if ginger, both crushed

Teaspoon each of coriander, cumin, garam massala, paprika, tumeric

Add approx 1lb chicken thigh pieces, stir around a bit

Add green pepper in big chunks

Carton of passata

Poultry setting

When done stir in carton of coconut cream and fresh coriander

Bloody lovely!

4 people like this

Nice @Mr blue sounds bloody lovely!

I made broccoli and Stilton soup, sautéed onion and garlic, added 2 big heads of broccoli, stalk and all and a big potato, chicken stock, steam function for 6 mins then got the stick blender and whizzed it up in the pot with the Stilton. Super bloody easy, cheap, and very good.

2 people like this

@@mrrichiet made some rice today, about half the quantity I usually do, bout 250g as opposed to 500g and it was a bit underdone at 1 min, would probably have been better at 3/4 mins. :)

I've got to confess, I tried the steam method (4 minutes) with about equal parts water\rice (enough for 2 people) and I wasn't too impressed with the result. It was still too moist for my liking (although all the water had steamed off\been absorbed) but worse of all was how watery the rice tasted! This was the same bag of rice I used when following the Basmati recipe guide from the booklet (12 mins on low pressure then natural release IIRC) and that was much, much better in my opinion. Have you tried that one yourself?

Yesterday I bought a 1.2kg piece of brisket from Aldi, cost about £6.50. Pressure cooked it in oxtail soup, beef stock and onions and then 'pulled' it.

From that I've made 2 massive sarnies, 8 Chinesey filo parcels and a ragu that will make 4 pasta meals. NTB.

3 people like this

Still very impressed with the instant pot.

Did a beef casserole with chuck steak this evening. Only took 35minutes to meltingly tender, certainly as good if not better than one done for several hours in the oven

I find that it's not only quicker than conventional methods but tastier as well for some reason.