Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

grogirl

Instant pot.....

131 posts in this topic

I have made something in it every day. would not be without it now. Hands down the best gadget I have ever bought bar none. (And I've got an aeropress ;) )

4 people like this

Great bit of kit ,highly rec

@@grogirl

I've pulled the trigger and ordered one from Amazon. It'll arrive tomorrow. I've already been out and bought the ingredients for a lamb tagine.

Do you still use yours or is in the back of the cupboard?

Can you really cook braising type meat to tender in under an hour?

Have I wasted my money?

Sooo many questions.

1 person likes this

Haha! I love it. I use it every single day! It's the best gadget I've ever bought, hands down.... I ended up buying another inner metal pot so I can do more than one thing easily, for example, cook a curry, then cook the rice. It's ridiculously easy to use, but if you have questions fire away! @BigJonny

Edit. And yes you can easily cook braising type meat in under an hour. I tend to use shin beef for stews and currys etc and it cooks perfectly in 45 mins (35 minute stew setting plus about 7 mins to get to temp) I cook loads more slow meats since having it, like neck of lamb, stock from bones etc. ...

Edited by grogirl
2 people like this

Haha! I love it. I use it every single day! It's the best gadget I've ever bought, hands down.... I ended up buying another inner metal pot so I can do more than one thing easily, for example, cook a curry, then cook the rice. It's ridiculously easy to use, but if you have questions fire away! @BigJonny

Edit. And yes you can easily cook braising type meat in under an hour. I tend to use shin beef for stews and currys etc and it cooks perfectly in 45 mins (35 minute stew setting plus about 7 mins to get to temp) I cook loads more slow meats since having it, like neck of lamb, stock from bones etc. ...

Nice one. I've read all the reviews on Amazon so I was confident it was going to be good but you never know who writes those...

Shin of beef is one of my favourite cuts, it not only has great flavour but I love the texture as well. Same with flank.

The reason I bought this is because my employer is stopping food for staff ( work in a residential home) so we'll soon have to bring our own food in. Some days I work from 9am to 11pm so I need proper meals. My intention is to batch cook on my days off for meals at work.

I think we might be sold on them too. I'm going to get one, maybe get rid of the kitchen sink to make the space lol I love my pressure cooker, thought it a ball ache with it being on the gas. This thing might get my kids doing some cooking too. I shall report back when I've bought it.

2 people like this

You will not regret it @@Comrade Stoker you will be spamming the boards with your new found gadget before you know it! X

2 people like this

Well @@BigJohnny I'm on tenterhooks here! What do you think? X

1 person likes this

@@grogirl

Cooked lamb tagine and then beef satay last night. Batch cooking for the freezer. To be honest I was blown away with it. I never knew you could cook meat like lamb shoulder so tender in such a shirt amount of time. Mightily impressed.

3 people like this

Thank god! @@BigJohnny was really worried you'd think it was shit! I think its the fact that you can get a really good sauté on it that makes it so convenient, added to the fact that you just switch it on then forget about it till it beeps.

Yeah the saute option is ace. It's good for reducing the sauce at the end of cooking as well which I did with the lamb.

The Moroccan lamb

rps20160731 205820

And the beef satay.

rps20160731 205904

4 people like this

They look great @@big johnny what is your recipie for the beef satay? I don't know if you have a rice cooker but my rice has improved so much for the instant pot, I use a good quality basmati measure it with a mug, then soak it in water for at least 10 minutes, give it a swirl and approximately drain the water off. I then add the same volume of water as of rice, in the instant pot on steam for 1 minute. Quick release and it's perfect. X

2lb sliced chuck steak

large onion, sliced

red chili, finely chopped

2 cloves crushed garlic

tablespoon medium curry powder

tablespoon soy

2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter

tin coconut milk

fresh coriander

sauteed the onion, chilli, garlic for a few mins then removed. Then sauteed the beef in two batches then added the onion mix back in, then mixed in the curry powder, soy and coconut milk. Cooked on manual for 28 mins and quick released. Added the fresh coriander.

Haven't tried rice in it yet but read you can batch cook that as well and freeze it into single portions and it works really well. I live alone and need to not be wasteful.

1 person likes this

I'm basically addicted to reading pressure cooker recipes now. My head is full of ideas it's spinning.

Tomorrow I am going to cook some kind of rice for the freezer.

I'm also gonna pay a visit to the butchers for a slab of belly pork to pressure cook then fridge it. The when I want to eat it, thick slices under the grill to crisp up.

Oh, I've also seen a recipe for beef, vegetable and rice soup I want to give a bash.

And butter chicken curry.

Definitely gonna try making yoghurt as well.

1 person likes this

That recipie sounds great. Am deffo going to try that. Thank you

Belly pork is great, I cook it in the instant pot with some liquid then I cube it and fry it off for Noodle dishes.

Be careful not to over cook your rice, I did for the first few times. Not overlooking is more about the quantity of water as much as the timings.

I've got the older version, it doesn't make yougurt...I wonder what temp it does it at? I was wondering if I could prove bread in it overnight in winter?