Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mygarden

Time for some new lamps, some advice needed please

I haven't been on here in quite a while, just been quietly plodding on with my grows and not kept up with new equipment etc. so need some advice please.

I think it's time for me to renew my lamps. For the past while I've been using 2 x 600w Sunmaster lamps in parabolic reflectors and have 2 dimmable electronic ballasts, my tent is 1.2 x 2.4, and they have done OK. They are fairly old now though, and my plants do suffer from some discolouration near the tops. Now, before I read a thread about Gavita I intended to just change the lamps for new, but now not sure.

Can someone please advise me on - what Gavita would I need for my tent? (still to decide if it would be worth spending that much).

Also, if I decide to stick with my current set up and just change the lamps, which are the best these days?

1 person likes this

Stick to your setup,get sunmaster or osram bulbs ful red spectrum.

My grow has transformed since i use aircolled hoods but that not what you need in this part of the year better invest in heating lol

e2a just my 2p. your setup sounds spot on why waste xxx on ballasts if this ones still work,invest in some crazy grow sistem rather,i was looking in aeroponic tables guys switching them in flower with 10 days of veg, that is 30 days sooner then me lol

Edited by Herbal Kint
1 person likes this

I have always had my best results with grolux duel spectrum. similar setup 1.2 x 2.4 with parabolic shades

1 person likes this

same here but with sunmaster dual specs :oldtoker:

1 person likes this

Dual gavita 600 pros would give you a few percent more light and save a few percent electricity, would also get slightly longer life from your bulbs. If you want to stick with your current kit I would look into the new gavita 240v bulbs (designed for digital ballasts). I've ran a few philips bulbs on a lumatek digi ballast and it warped the metal element, even cracking one bulb. According to whazzup of gavita the higher frequency of most digital ballasts causes acoustic resonance in the elements of normal bulbs causing them to warp. Even if it doesn't happen straight away bulb life will generally be reduced.

1 person likes this

OK, thanks for all your advice. I've decided to try the Gavita 600W lamps. I don't think I have the headroom to accommodate the whole kit, and TBH don't want to spend that much, so the lamps seem a good compromise. And, as they say, a change is as good as a rest!

Couldn't have decided without your help, so thanks again.

1 person likes this

I've the same size tent and on my current grow I'm running a 1000w Dual Spec Sunmaster on the left hand side (Sunmaster have stopped stopped making HPS in 1KW) and a 600w Sunmaster HPS on the right hand side. Both are using Sunking Parabolics and there is an overlap of light from the left to the right hand side which is reflected in the amount of light that the plants have been exposed to. The difference in the amount of pistils on the left hand side compared to the plants that are only exposed to 600w HPS is remarkable. I'm only experimenting with a 1KW on this run as it's winter, and am just about managing to keep the top of the canopy at 33-34c, and the plants look ok.

The cheapest setup to get near 50w per square foot (optimal light spread) in a tent this size is to buy a 2 x 1kw Lumateks and run them at 750w which will give 46.9w per square foot. A 600w will only give 37.5w per sq foot and 41.25w with super lumens (660W). Next year I plan on running 2 x 1w bulbs @ 750w each side, which should cover the area amply, without generating too much heat. You may also want to consider buying on of the new Lumatek 600w ballasts which run both 240v and 400v bulbs.

Edited by Casey Jones
1 person likes this

I've the same size tent and on my current grow I'm running a 1000w Dual Spec Sunmaster on the left hand side (Sunmaster have stopped stopped making HPS in 1KW) and a 600w Sunmaster HPS on the right hand side. Both are using Sunking Parabolics and there is an overlap of light from the left to the right hand side which is reflected in the amount of light that the plants have been exposed to. The difference in the amount of pistils on the left hand side compared to the plants that are only exposed to 600w HPS is remarkable. I'm only experimenting with a 1KW on this run as it's winter, and am just about managing to keep the top of the canopy at 33-34c, and the plants look ok.

The cheapest setup to get near 50w per square foot (optimal light spread) in a tent this size is to buy a 2 x 1kw Lumateks and run them at 750w which will give 46.9w per square foot. A 600w will only give 37.5w per sq foot and 41.25w with super lumens (660W). Next year I plan on running 2 x 1w bulbs @ 750w each side, which should cover the area amply, without generating too much heat. You may also want to consider buying on of the new Lumatek 600w ballasts which run both 240v and 400v bulbs.

Have you thought about air cooled hoods? You'd be able to run the 1kw on both sides year round then I would imagine. It's the route I'm going down, going to bang a 1kw in my hydrolab 120x120x230 with air cooling.

Go to 1000w each side and you'll not regret it (keep your 600w for height of summer.)

Have you thought about air cooled hoods? You'd be able to run the 1kw on both sides year round then I would imagine. It's the route I'm going down, going to bang a 1kw in my hydrolab 120x120x230 with air cooling.

When I had the old DR120 setup I got an Icarus large air cooled reflector as it came as a deal with the Lumatek 1kw ballast I bought at the time. The reflector was so heavy that it broke my old DR120 MK1 and I had to buy a new DR120 midway through veg. Also it was so heavy that when I tried to lift the bastard with rope ratchets it stretched the muscle on my arm and I was in pain for about 3 months after. Also the yield turned out to be a disappointment, so I'm not going air cooled. It was the worst grow ever. I only used it once and gave it away.

Go to 1000w each side and you'll not regret it (keep your 600w for height of summer.)

The thing I like about parabolics is that they are so light. Another problem is that on the right hand side there is a 10" carbon filter which restricts the height of the reflector. I can't get the parabolic up to full height, so an aircooled would be even more difficult. I think a 750w both sides will let me run all year around and light coverage will be perfect for each 4 x 4 space.

Edited by Casey Jones