Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gillyzzz

Right, what am I doing wrong, or does the Earth just hate me?

So....this year was my third GG attempt. Last year was relatively successful and I was bubbling with excitement for this year. Last years strains were:

Maroc- Decent yield, small mould problems, poor smoke in my opinion.

KC36- Decent yield, small mould problem, lovely smoke and smell.

Outdoor Grapefruit- Small yield, small mould problem, poor smoke.

Out of the 10 plants in total, the dry finished yield was in the region of 13-15oz, which I was happy with given the loss to mould (maybe 20-30% in total).

With a lack of money stopping me from branching out and trying a lot of different strains, I could only afford a few seeds this time round, these were:

KC Mango (Had heard good things and wanted to try them)- low yield (cut two weeks early due to mould), nice smell, okay smoke.

Outdoor Grapefruit- Had some leftovers from last year, pretty much same outcome as last year, won't waste my time again on these.

Super Cali Haze(auto)- Wanted to give these super auto's a go, 3 of 5 germed, then they were munched by slugs after transplanting outdoors, with only 1 pulling through, it was still impressive though, lovely smell, decent yield for an auto especially considering it almost didn't pull through.

I have a lovely patch which has direct sunlight from approximately 09:00/10:00am until 17:00/18:00pm, good quality soil (the weeds surrounding my site thrive every year) to which this year I added BFB, Sulphate of Potash, chicken manure pellets, mycorrhizal, while feeding with compost tea and guanokalong bloom when needed. Last year I only added BFB, mycorrizhal and a light topsoil dressing of dried guano before flowering kicked in, so this year I was expecting big things with all my added extras. But....I seemed to take a step backwards, and I can't put my finger on why? Surely it's not a case of too much additives, both this year and last the plants appeared strong and healthy, producing thick stems with a height average of 5-7ft. The mould problem doesn't help matters, but I could easily overlook that if the yields were good, and I wouldn't complain in the slightest if the small yields I've produced this year were smashing me out of the park, but in all honestly, they are not very good at all, I find myself smoking several joints on the head just to get the 'medication' that I require. It's been seriously disheartening this time round, and for the effort I put in (visiting the site at least twice a week feeding compost tea and organic nutes intermittently). I'm now under the impression that it is largely down to the strain regardless of soil/additives or enviroment for that matter, as the weather this year couldn't have been any better, and I prepped my site nice and early. I've seen other peoples diaries this year and I'm largely impressed with their results, and there seems to be very little that I have done differently, so I definitely seem to be going wrong somewhere down the line.

Can someone offer me any helpful advice please, I'm really at a loss as to how I must be the only GG'er in the country to produce such sad looking and tasting bud. It was looking so promising too when one of the KC's got to 7ft before flowering.

Cheers guys.

The only thing that really stood out to me that may not be good is the sunshine times. Meaning plants may be sitting wet until the sun hits late in the morning. I've had success by trying to ensure that the sunrise hits the plants and sun stays with them to beyond late afternoon. I'm not too fussed if they miss the late evening sunshine of mid summer. Maybe its strain choice to a certain extent? What lat you at? Hfh strains seemed to grow themselves for me this year. There are many other way more experienced growers than me on here but I hope this helps a bit. Don't give up and good luck for 2015

hw big are the holes

is there lots of roott growth

big root balls?

maybe look at adding more horse manure

lay off the chicken manure

and change your strains to earlier finishers

such as royal dane,mighty freeze,hfh plants

1 person likes this

From looking at your photos I thought the soil looked pretty poor. Maybe some more organic matter? I've been using vermicompost as tha base for my amendments, imo it's miracle stuff, will improve soil quality all round, rich and no risk of burn.

Could be the strain,it takes a few years to find something you like that will finish,I like passion #1.I don't rate maroc or grapefruit,but others do.The light is fine btw.

Looks like heavy clay soil to me.

You need to add organic matter to it really.

Clay soil has a good amount of nutrients allready but it's hard for plants to access due to the compacted nature.

This can be more hastle than its worth to a guerilla.

I tend to look at the natural flora, nettles are a good indicator of reasonable soil.

Aim to plant in nettle patches will save you alot of graft.

I also read chicken shit pellets don't do well in clay soils.

Strain wise...i like the effects of the purple Maroc myself but I'm a sativa lover.

Good luck.

2 people like this

Thanks for the replies dudes, it's much appreciated. I'm at lat 51.6. The soil definitely has clay in it, but I wouldn't describe it as heavy, last year I added approx 2l of vermicompost along with some perlite and vermiculite in an attempt to break the soil up a bit and to give the roots more oxygen. I haven't dug holes, I've turned over a patch of 3x3m and added the amendments that I've mentioned, the roots should have ample room to spread their hairy little legs! Keep the suggestions coming in dudes, I'm all ears!

What are the native plants at the plot? It could be a PH problem causing nutrient uptake problems.

Have you ever limed the plot?

Clay is full of nutrients i've used a number of plots that are clay based the only soil improver i add is manure.

These were grown in clay last year which was similar looking to yours, but i limed and added calcified sea weed in winter.

The native fauna could give an indication as to your problem, also the start of this year was wet which caused problems in clay soil and stunted growth due to over watering. They did however grow out of it when it did dry up, but weren't as big as last year.
3 people like this

As much daylight as poss is key.

Your soil amendmentsand feeding sounds way better than anything I have ever done.

Clay Is pretty shit overall.

I find fine rich soils best.

What sorta smoke you after?

What are the native plants at the plot? It could be a PH problem causing nutrient uptake problems.
Have you ever limed the plot?

Clay is full of nutrients i've used a number of plots that are clay based the only soil improver i add is manure.

These were grown in clay last year which was similar looking to yours, but i limed and added calcified sea weed in winter.

Brambles, nettles and trees mainly but you name it and you'll more than likely find it somewhere around my spot, you can't see the ground through all the weeds, summer prime time I find myself wading through a wall of brambles, nettles and shit just to get to my spot. I have a ph meter, I've no idea how accurate they are, but it reads around 7, I bought some lime initially but have never used it cos of the meter readings. Sounds like it's worth adding just in case.

As much daylight as poss is key.
Your soil amendmentsand feeding sounds way better than anything I have ever done.
Clay Is pretty shit overall.
I find fine rich soils best.
What sorta smoke you after?

anything I can get atm dude, but given the choice something with a bit of taste, I love the original cheese, but you can't get it anywhere. I love a bit of couch lock too, watch a film without the need for stopping mid flow for a top up.
Edited by Abe Froman
to remove offensive word

Kaliman cheese #1 is essentially the 'original', not sure how it would go outside though, worth a punt

Yeah cheers man, anything that is similar to the original cheese is worth a punt for me, I know a lot of people reckon it's over hyped, but each to their own I guess, I'd smoke it forever!

Going back to my problem though, it can only be down to a few things, either I ain't found a suitable strain yet, my soil isn't quite good enough, my spot doesn't receive enough direct sunlight, or a combination of all three. I like to think I'm in the right ball park with my soil amendments, but if it is still too clay heavy then I need to adjust and try it out. I've had some nice strain suggestions which look worth a go at least, so if nothing else I've some things to try differently and see how they go, thanks for any advice, feel free to keep them coming.

1 person likes this

More strains & don't put all ur eggs in one basket, maybe split the ladies up to a few plots & see how they get on. With enough variety & spots you will find a winner that you like the smoke of. All outdoor takes a while IMO to lose the harshness & become a nice smoke. A good slow cure & dry process is a large part of the work too

1 person likes this

That's some good advice oldgoaty my friend, that's definitely something I've noticed with my brief three year outdoor experience, drying and curing are an essential element to a quality finished product. I just want to see fat juicy calyxes on my buds, because upto now they've been utterly pathetic!

You have to think from a slightly different perspective about how you fertilise your grow imo. I would personally start thinking about giving the soil what it needs to maintain its fertile nature not what you think the plant should have during the crop. Plants thrive in fertile soils but fertile soil isn't achieved by catapulting vast quantities of feed at the plants themselves. You mention that the surrounding vegetation looks lush, there is a reason for that in that its growing in a balanced soil which has been naturally enriched year on year by the cycle of growth and decay of plants and leaf litter which has fallen and decayed in that spot. Like me you appear to have stripped away any local vegetation from the soil in which your plants reside. This has the side effect of removing any naturally occurring organic matter being added to the soil, in turn any nutrition which would have been found in that organic matter can't be released into the soil because its no longer there. So maintaining that balance becomes the growers job if you wish to repeatedly use the same spot.

Think how to replenish what the plants use from the storage facility which is the soil during the grow, adding large quantities of feed to the soil in the hope it will be directed to your plants isn't the way to go as it needs to be broken down and this takes time, it also needs to be in balanced quantities to eliminate the risk of over fertilising in general or creating spikes in the NPK nutrients or Ph which may stunt veg or produce leafy possibly even slower flowering plants. Repeated addition of fertiliser, especially hot ones used in high doses can very quickly pull Ph down as part of the nurients demineralisation process so addition of a soil acidity stabiliser may be beneficial.

Think about it, FBB used at around 100g per square metre 3 times per season is plenty enough to grow very vigourous plants and its designed to be balanced over the NPK range. If you want to go all out use potash or wood ash as a boost during flower set but anymore imo is way overkill and may be the reason you aren't getting the results you desire as you are very likely throwing the delivery system to your plants into turmoil....

I generally use either a high N fresh guano and High PK slow release fossilised guano at planting and nothing else for the full grow, or FBB 3 times per crop (pre plant, mid veg, pre flower) and maybe some wood ashes at the start of exponential flower growth.

Less feed can mean more bud, something I've found out over the years growing outdoors. I started very much like you did.

:oldtoker:

e2a:

There is a very interesting documentary on soil called "deep down and dirty, the science of soil" by the BBC. It was on youtube but is only available via torrent now i think. Absolutely fascinating imo and a good insight into how soil works. I reccomend watching it to anyone who grows in earth.

Edited by iamafunkimunki
4 people like this