Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AshCymru

Beginner Growing Temperature Issue & Advice - I really appreciate

21 posts in this topic

I'll start off by saying hello, I appreciate your time in advance and I can fully understand that you've no doubt heard this time after time after time but I assure you I've tried a lot and I still cannot seem to bring down the temperature (Beginner).

My suspicions are that the tent is too small, the HPS light is too much for the size and maybe the extractor vent isn't doing the best it could. I'll let you decide.

The tent is W90cm D50cm H155cm. It is layered with a reflective film and has two fans inside. The fan is 9" which is directed purely at the 600W HPS Duel Spectrum Bulb which gives off a ridiculous amount of heat I look like a science professor off Breaking Bad sweating my tits off. The second fan is a 4" fan which is directed at the plant itself (which looks to make no difference there or not by the thermometer). At the top there is a 3.5" extractor vent pulling the heat out of the tent via the bottom. Vent is situated at the top. Pictures shown. There is an intake fan that pulls air from the outside inwards via the bottom left of the tent.

The Plant itself sits in Miracle Gro (yes I know, but I know of good results) which gives the nutrients. The plant is watered once a day with 1.5 litres of 5.9ph water. Humidity is not monitored at present. The room that it is in is 233cm by 250cm (2.3m by 2.5m). The temperature in the tent stays between 29 and 31 C (84 - 88 F) and it just will not go lower! The window is left open constantly.

History: A little bit about what's happened. 6 seeds, germinated perfectly 100%, made rookie mistakes and overwatered; caused them to become droopy. Made another rookie mistake and stretched them too much; they was on the windowsil for 4 days, and the airing cupboard for 3 days before the small 30W light I was using must've been too much added with the heat that killed them all a part from 2 that I managed to save through Intense and long hours of reviving. This was originally meant to be a hydroponic go but as you can tell, I am better off starting at easy which is soil. I transferred them from rockwool to soil and they've grown a lot better. Within days they grew well. I then didn't water them for a week while they were situated on the windowsil. I then transferred them to the tent to which I followed the advice of hundreds online and put the HPS light 15" above the plant which was a ridiculous idea to me and proved to be wrong as the one plant burnt within 20 minutes!!! I put the light up to 25" above the plant and it seems to be fine the passed 24 hours. The 1 plant I watered and left on the windowsil to heal and I hope this will be okay to go back to the tent on recovery.

My questions are as followed:

Would you disagree with any of the above?

Will my plant that been burnt survive?

How do I bring down the temperature, it's roasting?

Would you advise anything?

Pictures are shown. Thanks a lot everyone I really do appreciate the help.

Edited by distracted
please upload pictures to the site

Yeah, too much light and not enough air exchange for the space.

Either...

a) reduce watts of light or switch to CFL/T5

b) increase the size of intake and extraction

A 3.5 inch extractor is nowhere near enough for a 600w in a 90x50x155 area.

RR

1 person likes this

Go back to using the 30w cfl for seedlings that size (I only switch to 600w for flower) that will give you time to get a larger fan/tent or a lower wattage light ?

I definitely think you're both correct and I appreciate your advice. It seems to make a lot more sense to switch to CFL and a 600W HPS light in such a small place on such small seedlings is just shouting "idiot" at me.

I'll switch to CFL and reduce the watts and see how that does. In the meantime i'll get them under 30W CFL. I have heard they're a lot better on the plants for vegging anyways.

Do you think the burnt plant will be okay and recover on the windowsil?

Thanks a lot for the swift replies!

Stick the burned one under the 30w cfl with the others, only time will tell if it will survive. If you get an adjustable 600w ballast, you'll be able to use the same lamp, but be able to change the wattage via the ballast (250w, 400w, 600w, 660w).

Why would you put it on a windowsill now? Put it under the cfl for 18/20/24 hours a day. Octobers 12 hourish days are no good. You could pick up a 125w cfl until you sort your extraction

The tent is W90cm D50cm H155cm. It is layered with a reflective film and has two fans inside.

the tents too small for that size of light, i'd go with a 250w or maybe a 400w if i had the right extraction to handle the heat.

The fan is 9" which is directed purely at the 600W HPS Duel Spectrum Bulb which gives off a ridiculous amount of heat I look like a science professor

off Breaking Bad sweating my tits off. The second fan is a 4" fan which is directed at the plant itself (which looks to make no difference there or not by the thermometer).

is this oscillating fans your talking about ?

At the top there is a 3.5" extractor vent pulling the heat out of the tent via the bottom. Vent is situated at the top..

There is an intake fan that pulls air from the outside inwards via the bottom left of the tent.

are you using a inline fan & a dedicated carbon filter ?

& if not, why not ?

The Plant itself sits in Miracle Gro (yes I know, but I know of good results) which gives the nutrients. The plant is watered once a day with 1.5 litres of 5.9ph water.

mate, that soils not the greatest & is very nute heavy, its also far to strong a soil to use with seedlings & clones.

you also shouldn't be watering your plant every day but i guess that due to the heat coming from the 600w, the pot soil will be bone dry ?

once you've got your light & environment sorted out, you should only water every 2nd, 3rd or 4th day if growing in soil, also, pot size can

make a difference, too small - low yield & holding the plant back, too big - is a waste of soil.

another rookie mistake your making is Ph'ing your water, you dont need to do this with soil as the soil self buffers its self, the only time

you should Ph you feed is if your growing hydroponically ;)

Humidity is not monitored at present. The temperature in the tent stays between 29 and 31 C (84 - 88 F) and it just will not go lower! The window is left open constantly.

you should invest in a hydrometer, it tells you the humidity & temps, which btw, should be anywhere from 22c to 33c for optimal growing,

if below, the plant/s stop growing, if too high, you can burn the plant/s.

e2a - your humidity levels should be about 60 to 70% when in veg & 30 to 50% in flower.

oh & welcome to the site, you've came to the best place imho to learn about growing cannabis :smokin:

Edited by Joint hogger
4 people like this

the tents too small for that size of light, i'd go with a 250w or maybe a 400w if i had the right extraction to handle the heat.

I went straight out and got a 125w CFL, will that be okay or will I need a 250w CFL? I did read up that they say 100w a plant is about right.

is this oscillating fans your talking about ?

Yes, this is an oscillating fan but I find that because of such a small space I have to aim the fan at the side away from the plants or they blow them so forcefully that the plant is literally at a 45 degree angle.

are you using a inline fan & a dedicated carbon filter ?

& if not, why not ?

I am using an inline fan to extract the heat out and that's situated at the top (you can see via photos). At the moment I haven't got a carbon filter, I was waiting until flowering to attach that.

mate, that soils not the greatest & is very nute heavy, its also far to strong a soil to use with seedlings & clones.

you also shouldn't be watering your plant every day but i guess that due to the heat coming from the 600w, the pot soil will be bone dry ?
once you've got your light & environment sorted out, you should only water every 2nd, 3rd or 4th day if growing in soil, also, pot size can
make a difference, too small - low yield & holding the plant back, too big - is a waste of soil.
another rookie mistake your making is Ph'ing your water, you dont need to do this with soil as the soil self buffers its self, the only time
you should Ph you feed is if your growing hydroponically ;)

I know, I got worried last minute as my hydroponic go was failing so I shot out to the nearest place I could to get the best soil at that place which unfortunately was Miracle Gro. Any recommendations for decent soil?

I did think I don't really have to water them every day but was told to. It's good that you've told me that, I would say once every 3 days sounds great so thanks! I didn't know that pot size had a difference on yield, wow!

Really? The water here is 8.2ph which I would've thought is pretty high but then again I have been researching hydroponic grows and not soil until the other day.

you should invest in a hydrometer, it tells you the humidity & temps, which btw, should be anywhere from 22c to 33c for optimal growing,

if below, the plant/s stop growing, if too high, you can burn the plant/s.
e2a - your humidity levels should be about 60 to 70% when in veg & 30 to 50% in flower.

Yeah you're definitely right there, I've just spent so much that I'm trying to keep back as no doubt I'll need more seeds. I'll look at getting myself one as humidity is important; thanks!

oh & welcome to the site, you've came to the best place imho to learn about growing cannabis :smokin:

Thanks for such a warm welcoming, I've seen a lot of "newbies" get hammered from stupid questions. I look forward to being a part of it! :rockon:

Why would you put it on a windowsill now? Put it under the cfl for 18/20/24 hours a day. Octobers 12 hourish days are no good. You could pick up a 125w cfl until you sort your extraction

Hi Superdedupity, thanks for the input. I have been advised by people that it'll recover on a windowsill but like previously said, it's not anywhere near ideal in the UK in October so I'm glad I've learnt that one.

I've purchased a 125w CFL, would you advice the 18/6, 20/4 or the 24 in your opinion?

I've sorted my extraction and the temperature is now 25C (77 F) comfortably with the tent closed which is great! The CFL is down to 6 inches above the plant and all seems good.

Stick the burned one under the 30w cfl with the others, only time will tell if it will survive. If you get an adjustable 600w ballast, you'll be able to use the same lamp, but be able to change the wattage via the ballast (250w, 400w, 600w, 660w).

Hi Mugwuffin, thanks for your input too. An adjustable ballast sounds like the way to go, i wish I got one of those to begin with. I've changed to a 125W CFL 6" away from the plant and all is good. I'll use the HPS when they get bigger or for purely flowering and may pick up another 125W soon.

Edited by AshCymru

shwdi cont? lol

Yeah, as has been said your light was way too powerful and your fan way too weak for the space. Put the two together and you've got a recipe for burnt buds.

How have you sorted the extraction? You should have a decent (ruck/rvk etc) inline extractor, at least 4", preferably vented to outdoors so that you're not heating the room that you're drawing your intake from.

A 250w HID will give you better results than the cfl in flower. As others have suggested a dimmable ballast would give you the most flexible solution, allowing you to up the wattage to 400 at the peak of flowering, but I'd advise getting the appropriate wattage lamp for each setting. There's various dimmable ballasts available, with various combinations of wattages so see which suits you best.

I'd go 20/4, particularly at this time of year, and when you come to buying new compost I'd go for verve multi-purpose from b&q.

And as has also been said, no need to ph. Compost will buffer anything close to neutral to the right ph. That said, who knows what state your compost is in now after however long cooking under the light while being drenched in a weak acid solution.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply ~nobody~ :clown:

I'm glad I'm learning this now rather than later!

I said that my inline extractor was 3.5" but it's actually 4", my bad. It's now being vented outdoors and I can say the room is lovely and cool after a couple of hours. I have an RVK inline 4" extractor, new ducting which is now completely sealed.

I don't think I'm even going to make it to flowering at this stage but hopefully it's all sorted now. 20/4 it is then, thanks!

Yeah you have a very valid point, would you advise me sort new soil and transfer to the new soil? :fear:

Edited by AshCymru

I went straight out and got a 125w CFL, will that be okay or will I need a 250w CFL? I did read up that they say 100w a plant is about right.

its ok, its good for seedling & clones when vegging, you can use it for flowering but th, your better with a 250w HPS,

when using the CFL, you have to get the bulb close to the plants (less than a few inches) also, be careful with the bulb,

they're very fragile & break easy.

Yes, this is an oscillating fan but I find that because of such a small space I have to aim the fan at the side away from the plants or they blow them so forcefully that the plant is literally at a 45 degree angle.

another thing you have to be careful with is what way your oscilatting fan is blowing,

if your not careful, you could e blowing smelly air out a passive air vent

I am using an inline fan to extract the heat out and that's situated at the top (you can see via photos). At the moment I haven't got a carbon filter, I was waiting until flowering to attach that.

You will need it well before you start Flowering mate, plants vegging can still stink to high heaven, trust me

if your plants are still just seedlings, ie less than two weeks old, they wont smell, but after that they do.

whats the name & size of your fan ? also, if your going to buy a decent carbon filter, its better to buy a higher quality filter like a rhino,

they cost a bit more but theyre worth it, they can last for up to two years of constant use compared to 9-12 months with a budget filter.

I know, I got worried last minute as my hydroponic go was failing so I shot out to the nearest place I could to get the best soil at that place which unfortunately was Miracle Gro. Any recommendations for decent soil?

I prefer to buy a high end soil, £15 per 50ltr of plant magic soil, its very good stuff & only has a light nute additives,

its ideal for seedlings & clones for a week or two before you need to add nutes, or if thats too expensive, try what ~nobody~ suggested,

try some BnQ's verve range, its a lot cheaper though its a good idea to have a sift through it first for lumpy shit.

plant magic also do a decent range in nutes if your interested, for soil theres the basic soil mix, its good as you get two versions of it,

soft water or hard water, or theres an organic range called Oldtimer which is very good if you want to go down the organic route.

also, both nutes come in two parts, Grow for veg & Bloom for flowering.

if your looking to order grow related gear securely online & have it delivered with discrete packaging,

then have a look at Greens Horticulture Link HERE

I did think I don't really have to water them every day but was told to. It's good that you've told me that, I would say once every 3 days sounds great so thanks! I didn't know that pot size had a difference on yield, wow!

the easiest way to tell when plants need watering, is by simply lifting the pot/s & feeling its weight.

as for pot differences, you should have a read through Potting up or All in one pot

Really? The water here is 8.2ph which I would've thought is pretty high but then again I have been researching hydroponic grows and not soil until the other day.

Yep, soil self buffers it as ~nobody~ explained

Yeah you're definitely right there, I've just spent so much that I'm trying to keep back as no doubt I'll need more seeds. I'll look at getting myself one as humidity is important; thanks!

if you subscribe to the site for a year (£15) you get a pick of some fantastic strains for free, they're mostly regulars if you want Fems or Auto's -

Latest list of seeds for new Subscribers Link Here

(all you do is send the money off with a Stamped SAE & the boss will send them to your specified safe address )

Thanks for such a warm welcoming, I've seen a lot of "newbies" get hammered from stupid questions. I look forward to being a part of it! :rockon:

No Questions stupid, all you need to do is ask politely & you'll get your answer lol

1 person likes this

At the top there is a 3.5" extractor vent pulling the heat out of the tent via the bottom. Vent is situated at the top. Pictures shown.

I can't see pics, but are you saying you're extract is pulling from the bottom? It needs to be pulling from the top as heat rises. Fresh air in the bottom ;)
1 person likes this

No need to sift soil ime. The clumps help areate the root ball. I use to use plant magic and it was nice, no bits and really fluffy.

My new grow i got canna terra cos that's all the shop had in. It's got bits of twig and clumpy bits in so i use those bits at the bottom of the pot.

I weren't impressed when i opened the bag to see bits of wood and stuff but it's all i had. Since using it though i've found those solid bits really helps the drainage without the need for pebbles or perlite. The solid bits eventually rot down by the time the roots get to it.

Having put a little thought into it, it's probably not a million miles away from the roughage that landraces would grow in, in their natural habitats.

Personally i now say throw those seives away and leave it natural, each to their own though; there's no real right or wrong.

:)

edit

Sorry. I meant to add about the light but got sidelined lol

My space is 755 x 420 so similar to yours. I can just about manage a 400w dual spec. I burnt these ones but thats because i forgot the oscillating fan (which doesn't oscillate :doh: )

Check out Road Runners mum run topic over in strain talk. You'll see a hurricane 30cm box fan. You can buy them from 3ch hydro (i checked greens first and couldn't find one so not taking business away from them so hope this is ok?) I did some reading on them and they appear to have positive reviews. They're also on the 'bay if you want to use paypal as they don't accept that on their website.

It'll fit perfectly down one side of your space taking up minimal room. Hopefully creating enough of a wind barrier between lamp and plants to deal with the heat.

I've just ordered one - will feed back on the delivery when it arrives.

Edited by Pot Luck

I can't see pics, but are you saying you're extract is pulling from the bottom? It needs to be pulling from the top as heat rises. Fresh air in the bottom ;)

Well spotted. If this is indeed the case @@AshCymru then you certainly need to switch that round, but that wasn't the way I read your post. Re your question about the compost, I'd say it depends on how well rooted the pots are, how long you've been 'mistreating them' and what stage of the grow you're at. If the pots aren't rooted yet then I'd gently tip them out of the pot and shake the rootball off before repotting in fresh compost. If the pots are pretty much rooted then I'd just wait til they need repotting. This is all dependant on how they look though; if they seem to be perking up after switching the light and switching to plain water then I'd just carry on as normal.