Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phoenix

foraging

125 posts in this topic

Roger Phillips's Wild Food 1988 edition if you can find one, it was reprinted as a softback up until 5 years ago I think. Amazon have one of a similar title but it's a 2014 edition, and going on the pictures available on Amazon it looks like a slightly different book, but he does good books anyway so it should be excellent. His mushroom book is very good if you don't have a mushroom guidebook. Food for Free was my dads bible but the illustrations are awful and for mushroom ID probably dangerous!

3 people like this

There must be about 30 hazelnut trees within easy reach of my place and I live in a relatively urban area but not massively so. Trouble with hazelnuts is having to pick them all off the ground and they're just too damn small half the time. Never had the green ones though. Anyone tried them. Will give them a go soon.

No idea bookwise, maybe something I need to invest in. Also does anyone here know a good use for sloes other than gin or conserves? I have found a ridiculous number of bushes near me.

You can make sloe and apple jam.

Also, if you've used sloes in gin or whisky, when you remove them you can add them to melted chocolate to make nice little treat morsels. Just add 1 sloe to each cube of an ice-cube tray and pour the chocolate over them.

Is that when you soak the sloes along with sugar? I think you get a better sloe gin if you soak without sugar and sweeten after removing the fruit, but the fruit is still very sour and dry

Roger Phillips's Wild Food 1988 edition if you can find one, it was reprinted as a softback up until 5 years ago I think. Amazon have one of a similar title but it's a 2014 edition, and going on the pictures available on Amazon it looks like a slightly different book, but he does good books anyway so it should be excellent. His mushroom book is very good if you don't have a mushroom guidebook. Food for Free was my dads bible but the illustrations are awful and for mushroom ID probably dangerous!

Thanks mate.

Unfortunately I don't know any mushroom/fungi experts so a good book with good pics is a must have for me.

I'll check out the Wild Food book.....

Is that when you soak the sloes along with sugar? I think you get a better sloe gin if you soak without sugar and sweeten after removing the fruit, but the fruit is still very sour and dry

Yes mate, with sugar.

can I suggest you try it without sugar this season, at least for one bottle anyway, just to see what you think. My sis is active in a yearly sloe gin competition and puts mine in each year too, got second last year. 1/3 - 1/2 full of sloes and a couple of flakes of almond, neat gin and then shake weekly. You can then sweeten to taste. The Oliver Cromwell gin from Aldi makes a good base spirit for a not bad price I think.

What's it like made with scotch?

1 person likes this

The only reason I've always gone with the sugar is the assumption that the gin would simply taste too bitter. Willing to give it a go but have yet to obtain any sloes this year.

I haven't tried the whiskey version but there's quite a few recipes available and it seems to get pretty positive reviews. Seems a bit sacrilegious to do it to a good scotch but I'd be happy trying a brandy version.

It's too early for sloes still I think. The reasoning I believe behind this method is to let the pure gin pull out the flavours in the sloes, then once decanted you can sweeten with a simple syrup until you like the sweetness, then rebottle. The book I recommended has one in that uses barley sugar, it's disgusting lol

Do you need to steep them for longer without the sugar?

Any suggestions on interesting things to look for at the moment? I'm thinking of having my first foray into the mushroom picking lark and gonna search for the relatively safe option of chicken of the woods.

Going to be very careful, reading a lot of guides online. Normally would be very wary about mushrooms but this one seems pretty straightforward. Seems like you have to be more careful of the tree it's growing on and the things around it (like hemlock) than the mushroom.

Edited by soto

Saw tonnes of plums today. A lot were near the road which is a shame although they tasted fine, just not sure I should harvest a load of them.

And of course blackberries are out in abundance.

Got bloody wild raspberries coming out of my ears. Good year for them, strange considering how poorly everything else has done so far.

Got bloody wild raspberries coming out of my ears. Good year for them, strange considering how poorly everything else has done so far.

That's an unusual place to grow them @@Cambium

6 people like this

I've looked everywhere for wild raspberries too. They're very hard to find, normally look white I'm told.

Pardon.

2 people like this