Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phoenix

foraging

125 posts in this topic

The sloes were out earlier this year, all the low pickings were gone when we went out, had to risk life and limb clawing through the blackthorn hooking and holding a top branch down whilst friends picked away.. Came home with lots of Knicks and scratches..this sloe gin had better be good! :P

I have lost count of the number of cherry trees I've seen full of fruit lately. Keep on the look out. Just got 4lbs off a tree nearby, and there's still loads on it.

MIght make a cherry pie. They're a little tart but that's to be expected. Much better than last year.

gallery_22389_4966_50643.jpg

Edited by soto
5 people like this

If you're into foraging you should check out the falling fruit website as it shows many places where you can forage.

Falling Fruit

1 person likes this

If you're into foraging you should check out the falling fruit website as it shows many places where you can forage.

Falling Fruit

giving up your foraging spots online to people who can't find their own? No thanks! I'm a generous person but foraging spots are a primal thing to protect for me, can't explain it any other way, Since moving I have found two apple and pear sites that no one else is visiting, which in a built up area is mad. When living in a more rural location I had a whole seasons mushrooming sussed for a decade but the whole place got commercially picked daily one year, and every year since and there was nothing there for the forager anymore. I've now moved back to the location that my dad taught me in and many of the sites are here still, some are lost like a fat enough to eat chestnut tree

2 people like this

giving up your foraging spots online to people who can't find their own? No thanks! I'm a generous person but foraging spots are a primal thing to protect for me, can't explain it any other way, Since moving I have found two apple and pear sites that no one else is visiting, which in a built up area is mad. When living in a more rural location I had a whole seasons mushrooming sussed for a decade but the whole place got commercially picked daily one year, and every year since and there was nothing there for the forager anymore. I've now moved back to the location that my dad taught me in and many of the sites are here still, some are lost like a fat enough to eat chestnut tree

I know! Good god! Give up a chantarelle patch, or my chicken of the woods oak. Over my dead body.

Nice cherry's soto. They are still tiny, rock hard, green balls here. The weather is fucked this year.

3 people like this

I hear you mate but Falling Fruit isn't intended to expose your secret garden necessarily, the majority of the foraging sites are in pretty public places so it's more of a site to make you aware of the potential to pick-your-own.

No sane person is going to give up their truffle plot but if you can encourage other people to get out there and forage stuff for themselves it's not a bad skill to learn and know.

1 person likes this

Encouraging good. Taking the fun out of it (also known as eating my mushrooms), bad.

1 person likes this

I know! Good god! Give up a chantarelle patch, or my chicken of the woods oak. Over my dead body.

Nice cherry's soto. They are still tiny, rock hard, green balls here. The weather is fucked this year.

Ah sorry to hear. I've seen at least 20 trees and they've all got lots of fruit on them. I'm in the South East.

I've also seen lots of sloes and elderflower on my travels. Plums are still very unripe although I always find they get insects which is a shame.

I've found a lot more stuff away from roads this year, pretty wild for the South East. It's nice being able to increase the foraging range using a bicycle, especially in this weather. . I still class myself as a foraging noob though, I won't go anywhere near mushrooms for fear of ending up killing myself lol.

Edited by soto

I hear you mate but Falling Fruit isn't intended to expose your secret garden necessarily, the majority of the foraging sites are in pretty public places so it's more of a site to make you aware of the potential to pick-your-own.

No sane person is going to give up their truffle plot but if you can encourage other people to get out there and forage stuff for themselves it's not a bad skill to learn and know.

I see what you mean but here I have found just enough spots for me, I would be pissed if they got cleaned out because they became common knowledge. I suppose I could list up my old sites in Scotland although I have over the years shown them to mates who are hopefully still using them, it's a hard one really... I'll post up a clean samphire location to keep with the spirit of helping people and maybe some of my old liberty cap haunts too! neither interest me any more

ETA can't seem to add a species not already listed!

Edited by distracted

lol

It's the truffle locations we want.

Hand them over lol

@@Twisted Rizla I would but it isn't in the drop down menu, I suppose no one else is that daft either! Surprised to see 2 generous souls have listed their giant puffball patches

@@distracted

You should be able to add a new food source under the 'Add source' tab. I think maybe you may need to be logged in to add new food types to the drop down menu.

I've just seen that there's a cherry tree near to my house so I'll be off to have a forage later today. I'll list a cob nut tree as a fair exchange :)

Yeah that was it @@Twisted Rizla but now posting the only samphire location on there reveals where I live lol

Heads up for all foragers that the elderflower season is almost done, well at least for NW england it is

Yeah that was it @@Twisted Rizla but now posting the only samphire location on there reveals where I live lol

I'm beginning to think the same about the cob nut tree. There's no entries at all and the one I was going to post is somewhat close to my house too.

On another foraging related matter, I'm on the hunt for a decent foraging book if anyone knows of a good one.

I already have the Forager Handbook but, like many other similar books, it lists only black and white photos of the plants. This isn't really helpful as I don't know the precise colour of the plant/berry etc. Other books have various illustrations but again, they're often difficult to use to make an accurate identification of a plant.

I want a book with colour photos of the plants. Any ideas?

I'm beginning to think the same about the cob nut tree. There's no entries at all and the one I was going to post is somewhat close to my house too.

On another foraging related matter, I'm on the hunt for a decent foraging book if anyone knows of a good one.

I already have the Forager Handbook but, like many other similar books, it lists only black and white photos of the plants. This isn't really helpful as I don't know the precise colour of the plant/berry etc. Other books have various illustrations but again, they're often difficult to use to make an accurate identification of a plant.

I want a book with colour photos of the plants. Any ideas?

There must be about 30 hazelnut trees within easy reach of my place and I live in a relatively urban area but not massively so. Trouble with hazelnuts is having to pick them all off the ground and they're just too damn small half the time. Never had the green ones though. Anyone tried them. Will give them a go soon.

No idea bookwise, maybe something I need to invest in. Also does anyone here know a good use for sloes other than gin or conserves? I have found a ridiculous number of bushes near me.

Edited by soto