Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phoenix

foraging

125 posts in this topic

edibles and libs seem to be a bit late this year because of the nice weather (where I live, at least)

The weather has started feeling more mushroomy recently though, so I think that's about to change.

Yep, been far too dry for libs round my way too, but I reckon they'll be starting to come out in force with all the wet weather this week.

Really want to go on a hunt this weekend but have to go and pull in the last of my GG harvest...

Just for blackberries a few weeks ago, made fruit leather with them, would post pics but I gave most of it away and scoffed the rest lol

What's fruit leather? Sounds tasty whatever it is! :D

What's fruit leather? Sounds tasty whatever it is! :D

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/

1 person likes this

I love nettles, they're at their best around March time. You can be selective, only take the top few inches, grab as many as you can. Loads of ways to cook them, I like them steamed with lemon juice and butter. You can do pesto sauce with them. If you want bags of trace elements, dig up dandelion roots, brush most of the dirt off, snap them into similar sized bits and dry roast for maybe 20 minutes, or until they're brittle but not burned. Grind them up and treat them like freshly ground coffee in a peculator, it tastes a bit like coffee too.

Crayfish are all over the place, though you need to be careful, there are rules about moving them around. Japanese Knotweed is good to eat, treat it like rhubarb, it needs sweetening, though again, there are rules and regs and they're strict as fuck with knotweed. Wild garlic is fucking lovely.

4 people like this

As Hughie says, also damsons, elderberries, sloes etc are all ready, pears and apples are also ready. I did sloe gin the other week, mushrooms seem late as Hughie mentioned, Giant puffballs are over but lots of others to come. Could be a good year for nuts like hazel and co

NW and we have already had a good flush of chanterelles, boletus and Mrs C came across our first hedgehogs of the year just the other day. Still waiting for my favourite chicken of the woods to flush at my secret location and I recently came across a dedicated hen of the woods, under a Scots pine of all things. Oysters are also just starting to pin on some logs that we inoculated last year!

I fucking love harvest season. Colour, light, smells, temps, weather rolling through. Love it.

Edited by Cambium
6 people like this

NW and we have already had a good flush of chanterelles, boletus and Mrs C came across our first hedgehogs of the year just the other day. Still waiting for my favourite chicken of the woods to flush at my secret location and I recently came across a dedicated hen of the woods, under a Scots pine of all things. Oysters are also just starting to pin on some logs that we inoculated last year!

I fucking love harvest season. Colour, light, smells, temps, weather rolling through. Love it.

I've moved mate, my NE Scotland haunts are 100's of miles away now, feeling a bit dislocated tbh. I bet the chanterelles are out up there now, summer boletes and ceps, I know a Scots pine in a local NT property that has Cauliflower :mellow: Glad to see Giant puffballs again though, I read many years ago that the UK's biggest ever was from where we used to live in the NE, within miles of my haunts, but never found one in 16 seasons! We found a natural log many years ago in wales that produced right through the season every year, it was on the way to the supermarket which was very handy! never managed with the innoculation myself though, tried oysters and lions mane all failed. My current fascination is seafood though, been cockling and musseling, just bought the netting for shrimping, and found out the other week that since I left the estuary it has been invaded by Chinese Mitten Crabs and collecting is encouraged! Bet they are delicious :D

5 people like this

i do try to have a go at wild gear growing,

theres a 200yr old orchard tucked away by the pond where i walk the dogs, theres only 4/5 apples, 2 plumbs and about 6 pears all together, you would walk right past and never see it if you didnt know it was there, the apples are/were massive but cookers, so sour it twisted ya eyeball when ya bit into 1, the pears are hard as wood with no taste or smell at all, there is a few booze projects based round both of these though, but iv not seen any of the results as yet, the plumbs were a tad bland, they never lasted long either, the birds hammered them early on along with the blackberrys, iv not seen one single mush on the banker field/football pitch i wonder round every night yet, but we have had plenty of rain last few days, it might have soffened things up enough for action!

dj...

I've moved mate, my NE Scotland haunts are 100's of miles away now, feeling a bit dislocated tbh. I bet the chanterelles are out up there now, summer boletes and ceps, I know a Scots pine in a local NT property that has Cauliflower :mellow: Glad to see Giant puffballs again though, I read many years ago that the UK's biggest ever was from where we used to live in the NE, within miles of my haunts, but never found one in 16 seasons! We found a natural log many years ago in wales that produced right through the season every year, it was on the way to the supermarket which was very handy! never managed with the innoculation myself though, tried oysters and lions mane all failed. My current fascination is seafood though, been cockling and musseling, just bought the netting for shrimping, and found out the other week that since I left the estuary it has been invaded by Chinese Mitten Crabs and collecting is encouraged! Bet they are delicious :D

Chanterelle have been and gone, so have the ceps, although still seeing other bolets. The weather is playing silly buggers and its really dry at the most, been getting some nice dewey mornings though so that helps. never had the pleasure of finding a cauliflower, I've heard they're delicious but a bugger to clean. I was really surprised to find the desicating griflora under on a pine, not able to find any record of it on pine in the UK, but I haven't looked that hard lol the logs and dowel spawn have worked really well. There is so many variables to try and control before you seal them up, that I was sure they'd be an abject failure, so I was pleasantly surprised to see mycelium colonising throughout the summer. Still really unexpected to see mushrooms this year. I think that the wood being freshly cut and a speedy inoculation were important.

1 person likes this

chanterelles over? of course they are! I'm thrown with this relocation and getting mixed up. I doubt they even grow around here, never saw them when I used to live here. Blewits, fields etc and parasols are more the order of the day although there are some great saffron milkcap locations. I will try the innoculation again with fresh logs, I used silver birch last time, what do you use?

lol chantarell were fruiting well into October last year, they just kept coming, it was very wet though. This year they turned almost white not long after fully expanding due to it being so dry. Last one I saw was about 10 days ago. My monster no1 patch from last year never even fruited :( found some false saffron last year, it was a lurid green colour. There are lots of milkcaps though, found an enormous dinner plate sized one the other day, I think it was giganticum or something. Blewits, parasols, agarics were what we moved from. I do miss them, don't see them at all up here. The only familiar mushrooms to me were tree polypores, boletes, waxcaps and libs. Most everything else is new and exciting. I've loved learning about the new species around me, my head is rarely out of roger Phillips lol

We used a mixture of alder and birch, both really sugary, so best for something like oyster, if its shiitake then I'd go with oak if you can. Cut them yourself if you can, keep them clean and inoculate asap. The wax is important, so is moisture content, water them if you need to.

Edited by Cambium
1 person likes this

Today's hedgehogs, tomorrows breakfast.

med_gallery_33371_2913_591833.jpg

...and some Chantarelle from last year

med_gallery_33371_2913_383955.jpg

10 people like this

I'm going to miss the chantarelles, they are the only mushroom my son will eat too, can't even get him to try fields. He grew up with us gorging on them though, we had some great patches until about 4 years ago then the commercial pickers moved in. There was a time when a couple of carrier bags per trip was normal, I remember offering a guy some for free in Sainsbury's, he was putting an overpriced carton of sad looking "girolles" in his basket, his eyes popped when he saw the boot of my car lol

I've collected Saffron's on the Black Isle and south of Inverness so it is far north and I got wood and field blewits Inverness way and Moray coast, got some field blewitts on a sand dune system once bizarrely, more parasol country you'd have thought. I use Phillips myself, excellent books, the year round foraging one is my bible, sadly still packed and miles away.... might explain why I am so thrown. Got a pile of apples and pears today, I have been here 12 months odd and I could tell you the location of several wild apple trees laden with fruit, do people just not collect fruit any more? I find it quite mad how much free stuff there is around and how few people utilise these resources. If the supermarkets broke down, a good part of the country would probably starve!

Nice hedgehogs :yep:

Edited by distracted
5 people like this

The underground stuff, cool :chef:

the blackberries around here seem to be finished earley think it was down to less rain during the late summer .

normally there in abundance for a couple of months . we did have a bumper for cherry plums.the mirrorbell ones were superb.

Found some chanterelles for my dinner last night. First I've seen of them this year. First I've seen of anything really. Ceps should be coming later this month, so hopefully my basket will soon be overflowing...