Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweetestgreen

Xpelair WAC1...no hum?

61 posts in this topic

if your fans still noisy, consider building a Leepy Box to further silence any fan noise.

1 person likes this

if your fans still noisy, consider building a Leepy Box to further silence any fan noise.

Yeah when I saw this before and thought it clever. Very innovative.

...I just hate expanding foam though. It's the stickiest, messiest stuff ! On site a few years ago we had delivery of 6 pairs of work boots. Great ones too. Got given them in the afternoon and the other five guys were pleased too. On packing up, the site bully thought it would be funny to fill the apprentice's brand new boots with expanding foam, thus ruining them. He did so, the apprentice came back in with the bully pointing and laughing at his work and the apprentice proceeded to point down at his own feet and say he'd already put his on. He and the bully shared the same size 8 feet. no one else did. The asshole had filled his own new shoes !!

Not many days do I laugh all the way home until I'm crying but that day I did !

1 person likes this

Interesting indeed Scraglor ! :oldtoker:

Im in a bit of a state with my extraction and i am considering upgrading to a TD- Silent .

The only reason that i want to upgrade is because im worried to leave my 5 " RVK on 33% step 1 at night .

Unfortunately The reason i am having to do this at night-time is because of where i live .I have very nosey neighbours that complain about even the smallest noises and i just cant risk getting into trouble .

The noise probably dosent penetrate to neighbours property's at all on step 2 but i find that when i try to sleep in the same room i cant switch off from thinking if the neighbours can hear it (OCD ) .

Hence the reason when im up and running again i will only be able to use the lowest setting at night or get a TD-Silent .

I would rather not fork out (or rather save up ) for a TD Silent if i dont need to . Im happy with the noise on 33% as long as i know its going to be safe .I hear what your saying about having it that low is pretty pointless anyway but in my situation i only ever run a 150w hps on digi ballast and at 33% i still have a fair bit of airflow at the exit duct .....very small 1-2 plant grow .

In your opinion based on my set-up (150w hps in a drobe ) will i get away with the 33% power to the fan on a night time ? Or should i wait and save up for a TD?

Thanks in advance , Vb

Thing is I can't tell you for sure over the Internet, like I said before, your fan isn't going to blow up or catch fire, if it's still moving a good bit of air then leave it, the fact that wac1's are a transformer and not electronic makes a big difference (33% on an electronic module will stall a lot of fans) thus is more an issue of longevity for the equipment rather than safety

Dp

Edited by scraglor

Cheers Joint Hogger

Not sure how i would manage that ,this is how its set up

gallery_78462_9344_21392.jpg

Unless i somehow could insulate round it within the top compartment of the drobe? What to use though ?

Thing is I can't tell you for sure over the Internet, like I said before, your fan isn't going to blow up or catch fire, if it's still moving a good bit of air then leave it, the fact that wac1's are a transformer and not electronic makes a big difference (33% on an electronic module will stall a lot of fans) thus is more an issue of longevity for the equipment rather than safety

Thanks Scraglor Good to know

VB

I have ran my 5" td silent on setting 1 of a WAC 1 for a year or two, without any problem

My intake is so quiet at night I have to physically touch the fan to check it'd on: it's 5" solid phresh silencer> 5"td silent> accoustic ducting on a wac1 ( now setting 1 or 2 on an smscom hybrid)

1 person likes this

I have ran my 5" td silent on setting 1 of a WAC 1 for a year or two, without any problem

My intake is so quiet at night I have to physically touch the fan to check it'd on: it's 5" solid phresh silencer> 5"td silent> accoustic ducting on a wac1 ( now setting 1 or 2 on an smscom hybrid)

Drtiny is there a noticeable difference with the wac 1 and a TD silent on lowest setting , compared to an rvk on the lowest setting on a wac 1?

Im trying to work out where the hell the noise is coming from , Even on 1 im getting this sort of vibration / deep rumble noise with my extraction . Its not the fan itself ive stuffed old clothes round that and the exit duct is not noisy either .

I think it might be because of all the bends in my duct run . Only thing is i cant change it around because it would mean cutting another hole in the top of the drobe and i dont have the tools anymore .

gallery_78462_9344_11346.jpg

The grey dashes of line represent the duct going out of the back-board and up to the ceiling.

Do you think this is causing the noise ?

Vb

old clothers isnt going to absorb much noise from your fan, and you'll always get SOME noise, because it's moving air.... and has a motor spinning round... if you want to eliminate noise totally, your fan needs to be in a well insulated box, and suspended on rubber/bunjee straps to stop vibrations transferring to the outside of the box, and of course properly sized and routed acoustic ducting in and out (even then there will be noise at the CF and the final exhaust...) but to be honest mate, if you're worrying about your neighbour, you're worrying about nothing running a fan on setting 1 or 2! the noise will be barely audible next door, and the very very faint hum that might be heard if one new what to listen for, would just be indistinguishable white noise....

Edited by scraglor
2 people like this

Drtiny is there a noticeable difference with the wac 1 and a TD silent on lowest setting

Vb

Yes but both very quiet, my old fan was a 4" rvk which was leepy boxed.

old clothers isnt going to absorb much noise from your fan, and you'll always get SOME noise, because it's moving air.... and has a motor spinning round... if you want to eliminate noise totally, your fan needs to be in a well insulated box, and suspended on rubber/bunjee straps to stop vibrations transferring to the outside of the box, and of course properly sized and routed acoustic ducting in and out (even then there will be noise at the CF and the final exhaust...) but to be honest mate, if you're worrying about your neighbour, you're worrying about nothing running a fan on setting 1 or 2! the noise will be barely audible next door, and the very very faint hum that might be heard if one new what to listen for, would just be indistinguishable white noise....

I agree, think we're paranoid half the time, my old fridge in the kitchen is louder than my grow at night time but I don't think "better go get a new fridge or my neighbour might call the police"

Yeh true pal

Yes but both very quiet, my old fan was a 4" rvk which was leepy boxed.

I agree, think we're paranoid half the time, my old fridge in the kitchen is louder than my grow at night time but I don't think "better go get a new fridge or my neighbour might call the police"

I know what you mean my fridge is old and makes a racket and that dosent bother me , i need to stop worrying.

Anyway boys ive changed it around now , If you look at the first picture i posted of how i had it set up i had drilled a 5" hole ages ago on the top of the drobe , Ive utilised this now .

gallery_78462_9344_3688.jpg

I couldn't fit the ducting through with the insulation so i just measured the length from the top to where it meets the fan and cut the insulation off to size , guided it through uninsulated and added the insulation on from inside the top part of the drobe if that makes sence .

It goes filter >duct >fan>duct straight up to a box on the roof of the drobe and then straight through the ceiling

Seems alot better but ill see for sure tonight .

looking at that photo I reckon 99% of the noise you can hear is straight from the carbon filter :yep:

1 person likes this

As above. VB, you said in your earlier post that you don't think next door can hear it but it bothers you because you sleep in the same room. Mate, because you can hear it now and your para about it, you're always going to hear it a little, no matter what you. Get your head round the fact they can't hear it or even if can hear a very very very faint hum, they're not going to notice it. It's not like it going on and off all the time.

BUT, to keep yourself entertained and be satisfied you've done everything possible, do what has been suggested and insulate fan, rubber hangers, acoustic duct etc.

looking at that photo I reckon 99% of the noise you can hear is straight from the carbon filter :yep:

Ah, hadn't seen that picture before ! :doh:

Yes it is Scraglor me old pal , a rumbling noise from the filter now but im gunna glue carpet to my ply inner doors at some stage lol . Thanks for all the advice so far mucker

As above. VB, you said in your earlier post that you don't think next door can hear it but it bothers you because you sleep in the same room. Mate, because you can hear it now and your para about it, you're always going to hear it a little, no matter what you. Get your head round the fact they can't hear it or even if can hear a very very very faint hum, they're not going to notice it. It's not like it going on and off all the time.

BUT, to keep yourself entertained and be satisfied you've done everything possible, do what has been suggested and insulate fan, rubber hangers, acoustic duct etc.

Thats probobly my biggest problem now getting my head round the fact that its only me who can hear it , ive done some more messing about with it and im leavng at this .

Suspended vertical fan with bungees ....

gallery_78462_9382_33838.jpg

Added some carpet to the drobe wall .....

gallery_78462_9382_19446.jpg

Cut some more to size and wedged it in .........

gallery_78462_9382_49980.jpg

Cushioned underneath the filter where it is resting on the bar .......

gallery_78462_9382_15823.jpg

And just to be even more of a cautious cunt , stuffed an old rug and cushions down the side of the drobe / adjoining wall of neighbour ... lol

gallery_78462_9382_151135.jpg

If it comes on top now because of noise, I must the most unlucky fucker ever

Now on to sort rest of it out before im ready to roll again .. :idea:

Vb

Edited by VibratingBallast

Could i use one of these with a 8" rvk ? Think the power is 130watts?