Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweetestgreen

Xpelair WAC1...no hum?

61 posts in this topic

mine is just for the noise at night, even if it slightly lowers the fan noise im happy. I keep thinking people below can hear it so need to keep is super stealth :)

Hey judge, sorry mate, that was towards sweetest, just saying why settings as low as 33% shouldn't really be used, don't even know what setting 1 on the wac1 gives out? But if it's 33% then that is too low for a duct fan

2 people like this

That by the way is my (professional) opinion based solely on an Rvk from system airs own data sheets, there may be other fans and applications where this doesn't apply, but it stands to reason if you need to run your fan at almost nothing..... u need a smaller (and cheaper) fan ;)

no worries scraglor m8 was not having a go either was just sharing hehe :)

yep they are a bit shitty lol number 3 i get no negative pressure so it has to stay on 4.... sound is still about the same

Shame maybe i need to clean out my ears or something will try again tomorrow.

Are you using an intake fan? U should still get massive neg pressure on 4

1 person likes this

Do theses work with 6inch? If not what's the next best option for 6inch?

Off the top of my head I believe current rating is too low for a 6", you should be able to get a varia pretty cheap off eBay, if you get a well matched electronic speed controller y may get lucky and it won't buzz loudly, worth a punt considering you can pick them up for about 5 quid

no intake fan its only a small tent :(

I reckon McDonald's happy meal toys have better build quality than the WAC 1 lol

I concur ! Flimsy housing and the 1-5 dial indicator doesn't quite line up with the numbers. Works just fine though and is the neatest variac I've seen.

The wac1 isn't a varia mate, it's an auto transformer ;)

1 person likes this

These are industrial duct fans, wac1 controllers are designed more for ceiling fans and axial fans.... your fan isn't going to catch fire on setting 1 or anything... It will run hotter than it should, current isn't proportional to voltage or fan speed in induction motors, the only reason you can even control these types of fans with voltage instead of frequency control is due to the fans having external rotors to allow the air movement to cool them, normal motors require frequency modulation control... If you look at the data sheets for say, an Rvk, the flow/voltage curve (with no filter attached) goes to virtually 0 at 105v... 33% is about 80v so basically no airflow, the motor still won't burn out but the life will be drastically reduced, if you slow a fan so far the rotor stops turning but still a voltage applied (say 40v) you only have the resistance of the windings to determine current, say 20 ohms, your fan will start pulling 2A, when it's rating is less than 1.... These fans usually ( not always) have built in thermal protection so the fan will just cutout until it cools down... but this again is seriously effecting your fans life, and should never happen anyway, because if your running your fan that slow (even at 33%) you may as well not have a fan, just get a smaller fan if you have to slow it down that much!!

Very informative. Nice one.

I've set mine up today and agree with your assessment. My voltages were very similar to yours (I'm using a calibrated tester) and in practice, I can feel the intake on the intake sock and extraction on the fan (the filter's in the tent) and can judge I either need setting 2 or 3 for drying. Probably 3 for the first few days and 2 on the remainder. There is still definite and significant flow through the tent on setting 2 ( though I note the data sheet says it is virtually 0 at 105v. I had 107v)

Edited by Sweetestgreen

It's something like 5m^3/hr, so you still feel flow, but it's down from hundreds of cubic metres per hr

Edited by scraglor

These are industrial duct fans, wac1 controllers are designed more for ceiling fans and axial fans.... your fan isn't going to catch fire on setting 1 or anything... It will run hotter than it should, current isn't proportional to voltage or fan speed in induction motors, the only reason you can even control these types of fans with voltage instead of frequency control is due to the fans having external rotors to allow the air movement to cool them, normal motors require frequency modulation control... If you look at the data sheets for say, an Rvk, the flow/voltage curve (with no filter attached) goes to virtually 0 at 105v... 33% is about 80v so basically no airflow, the motor still won't burn out but the life will be drastically reduced, if you slow a fan so far the rotor stops turning but still a voltage applied (say 40v) you only have the resistance of the windings to determine current, say 20 ohms, your fan will start pulling 2A, when it's rating is less than 1.... These fans usually ( not always) have built in thermal protection so the fan will just cutout until it cools down... but this again is seriously effecting your fans life, and should never happen anyway, because if your running your fan that slow (even at 33%) you may as well not have a fan, just get a smaller fan if you have to slow it down that much!!

Interesting indeed Scraglor ! :oldtoker:

Im in a bit of a state with my extraction and i am considering upgrading to a TD- Silent .

The only reason that i want to upgrade is because im worried to leave my 5 " RVK on 33% step 1 at night .

Unfortunately The reason i am having to do this at night-time is because of where i live .I have very nosey neighbours that complain about even the smallest noises and i just cant risk getting into trouble .

The noise probably dosent penetrate to neighbours property's at all on step 2 but i find that when i try to sleep in the same room i cant switch off from thinking if the neighbours can hear it (OCD ) .

Hence the reason when im up and running again i will only be able to use the lowest setting at night or get a TD-Silent .

I would rather not fork out (or rather save up ) for a TD Silent if i dont need to . Im happy with the noise on 33% as long as i know its going to be safe .I hear what your saying about having it that low is pretty pointless anyway but in my situation i only ever run a 150w hps on digi ballast and at 33% i still have a fair bit of airflow at the exit duct .....very small 1-2 plant grow .

In your opinion based on my set-up (150w hps in a drobe ) will i get away with the 33% power to the fan on a night time ? Or should i wait and save up for a TD?

Thanks in advance , Vb

Interesting indeed Scraglor ! :oldtoker:

Im in a bit of a state with my extraction and i am considering upgrading to a TD- Silent .

The only reason that i want to upgrade is because im worried to leave my 5 " RVK on 33% step 1 at night .

Unfortunately The reason i am having to do this at night-time is because of where i live .I have very nosey neighbours that complain about even the smallest noises and i just cant risk getting into trouble .

The noise probably dosent penetrate to neighbours property's at all on step 2 but i find that when i try to sleep in the same room i cant switch off from thinking if the neighbours can hear it (OCD ) .

Hence the reason when im up and running again i will only be able to use the lowest setting at night or get a TD-Silent .

I would rather not fork out (or rather save up ) for a TD Silent if i dont need to . Im happy with the noise on 33% as long as i know its going to be safe .I hear what your saying about having it that low is pretty pointless anyway but in my situation i only ever run a 150w hps on digi ballast and at 33% i still have a fair bit of airflow at the exit duct .....very small 1-2 plant grow .

In your opinion based on my set-up (150w hps in a drobe ) will i get away with the 33% power to the fan on a night time ? Or should i wait and save up for a TD?

Thanks in advance , Vb

I'm surprised you can hear it at all on 2? I've got a 4" rvk and on setting 2 there's virtually no noise. I did see a clever simple silencer using a polystyrene veg box and poly chips in the box in a recent thread. Looked very neat and wouldn't pose a overheating risk. If I were in your position and the noise is an issue try it. Very cheap and easy solution.