Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedeyeJedi89

Bulb for vegging

Hi all,

new here and just in the process of of setting up my first grow :) I have a 600watt HPS that i was originally going to use throughout the grow but it seems like overkill so I'm wondering what bulb will give me the best results for vegetative growth? It seems that everyone has a different opinion on what is best so I was just hoping for a little input...

My basic set up is;

a 4x4x6.5 grow tent.

600watt hps.

6' fan and carbon filter.(I have enough room for an extra fan if needed)

I'm going to be growing Bubba Kush in coco using advanced nutrients Jungle Juice range.

Basically should I go out and buy a 400/600w MH bulb, should I go out and buy a T5 or a T12, or should I just veg under the HPS?

I intend to do a grow journal once everything is set up so I can share any major fuck ups i make (:

1 person likes this

Welcome mate.

You can do them from the start under the hps just don't have it too close. If you want to save electric you could always just buy a CFL and keep them under that for a week or two. Metal halides are meant to be better for vegging; as they put out more light in the blue spectrum but you will be fine with hps if you have a dual spectrum bulb.

I use a CFL for a few days then under the HPS

Get a diary up mate.

Edited by Hashplanter

cfl if you want to grow bit slower and save electricity for the first cpl weeks,

mh if you want to waste your money :P

hps if you want to grow healthiest plants.

Thats my take on it?

Hi red and welcome. I use t5 fluorescent tube lights for cuttings and seedlings and a bit of veg.

Cheap to buy and to run. Good luck with your grow.Jack...

I can get a 250w MH for like £10 so i might go with that if people think its gonna be worth it?

Stinky you think there a waste of money? whys that?

I read that the blue spectrum they give off makes them ideal for vegging.... If it is going to save me money electricity and lifespan on my HPS and have a greater effect on my plants then i'll go for it. Or am i going to get better results from something like a cfl?

Thanks for the warn welcome guys :) I'll get a diary and som pics up as soon as its ready. (Wish these seeds would hurry up!)

i never tried metal halide but if your hps bulb is dual spectrum it will have plenty blue in it.

oh also...

I was planning on using standard plant pots for this grow but i've since read about smart pots, air pots and hempy buckets...

would anyone recommend using any of these? if so can you explain how they out perform the others?

Again this is going to be a coco grow.

in fact dont even worry about this. I dont want to over complicate things first time round. ive already got to come to grips with the coco as a medium so want to give myself the best possible chance

Edited by RedeyeJedi89

Sorry dude, I was trying to find a link to some lighting info. When I do i'll post it, it explains the reasoning behind what I said. :)