Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
12ingiber3

chimney as source of fresh air

Hi. First time poster/grower here, doing preliminary research before my venture into the wonderful world of home grown highs.

In the process of building a growdrobe 3'x3'x7' and have exhaust and venting questions.

The unit is in the front room of my house, which has an electric fire that's in the process of being removed.

My question is; would the chimney be a suitable source of fresh air for the inline intake fan I plan to install? Or does the chimney have a more pull/suck attitude that could interfere with intake?

Doing a search on chimney/intake lead to 'no don't...carbon monoxide/harmful gasses etc, but I would assume that's from used chimneys (I.e attic grows)

Does anyone have experience in this?

I originally had the chimney pegged as 'outtake' as it seemed obvious but fresh air is more important (or so I'm reading)

Thanks

First off welcome to place ot be for this kind of thing. Great folks here.

The chimney is not a great source of fresh air, I'm sure you have geussed its not to clean. I would look at other options mate.

Sofits, fresh air supplied via ducting fromm downstairs ? I have my ducting going though loft floor into airing cupboard, then across master bedroom to a window I leave open all day.

GV.

Hello and welcome,

There will be others here, I'm sure, who may have tried that, but I think you're right in that chimneys are about air flow UP, not down. And for sure fresh warm air is better for the wee ones. By 'fresh air' I mean that it's more in the respect of air that hasn't been through another grow area and/or is frequently cycled. So if you have a room for your growdrobe that has good traffic and thus changing air, I would think you would be fine. If the room smells 'dead' or stagnant, open a window.

All winter I had an intake that was coming from the house into the loft tent and the kids did fine.

Good luck.

e2a distinction

Edited by micksplif

I would pull warm, C02 rich air from your house, and extract up your chimney, it'd be much easier keeping a stable environment. :yep:

6 people like this

Have enough though about using a chimney for extraction, would you still need a carbon filter? Or would the air going up the chimney then being dispersed above the house into the wind be enough?

Have enough though about using a chimney for extraction, would you still need a carbon filter? Or would the air going up the chimney then being dispersed above the house into the wind be enough?

ALWAYS USE A CARBON FILTER!!

8 people like this

ALWAYS USE A CARBON FILTER!!

To repeat: ALWAYS USE A CARBON FILTER!

I had 5 large heads drying in the loft in our two story house and last weekend when it was hot and still, and I smelt the boquet from the garden! Straigh up there to put the heads into the dark tent that is exhausted through another tent that has a filter. Damned stuff stinks!

Cheers,

2 people like this

I'd just draw air from your room & vent out of the chimney.

1 person likes this

I agree with Osama on both points mate and welcome

If it gets to hot you won't have a problem using your chimney as an intake I have many times.

I've even used an oil boilers flue for intake b4. The plants didn't get carbon monoxide poisoning funnily enough.

If temperatures are ok they as said b4 you should draw rich co2 air in from house and vent OUT of chimney.

:yep:

Excellent. What a helpful and friendly place this Is, thanks for the responses.

I had my doubts and this has laid them to rest.

Outtake via chimney and carbon filter it is,

and good thinking mrchang for a possible cooling solution :)

The room being north facing means its the coldest, so [fingers crossed] room temps not going to be an issue

I would pull warm, C02 rich air from your house, and extract up your chimney, it'd be much easier keeping a stable environment. :yep:

I found that I had next to no draw on my chimney, if anything it was worse than just venting into a room (after the filter, obviously) - might e worth a check first :)