Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arnold Layne

The PFNC Guide: When Should I Harvest My Pot

23 posts in this topic

pics or it dint happen ?

1 person likes this

Nice1 @@Arnold Layne , that's ace - nice & simple like.

Apart from pinching an early sample I've never actually tried harvesting the same plant at different points yet.

I will be now be doing exactly that on my next run though as I'm hoping to really get to know a couple of strains and Im looking for a new mum or two.

e2c - you should do some more k-i-s-s, no nonsense PFNC guides mate :yep:

Edited by iBlazeDaily
1 person likes this

Thanks for a very helpful thread.

3 people like this

Thanks @@Arnold Layne. Your thread its very helpful thanks.

I will look to do this at a later date when I have fewer girls to tend to as currently I'm in the process of pheno selecting a few good mums from a few different strains but when I start to grow out the cuts of the chosen ones I will definatly use your method to figure out which strain is ripe at which time.

Thanks again.

1 person likes this

That's a really handy guide. Thanks Arnold.

Interesting, taking notes!

1 person likes this

On 07/04/2014 at 10:00 AM, Arnold Layne said:

Amber Trichomes!

This Amber Trichs malarkey, its an Urban Myth IMHO. Fact is, some strains never go milky let alone amber. And in other strains, amber only happens when the plant is almost dead and well past its sell by date. So how can one tell when a plant is "ready"?

Let's talk about "Ripeness" instead. When is a plant "Ripe"? 56 days? 63? 77? When the pack says? When your mate down the pub who has been growing for a hundred years says it is? Nope, none of the above!

Its ripe, when it meets the demands of the end user. What I like in my smoke, may not be what you like. The point being, you should "take" your plant down when she is ready to give you what you want. Maybe you like an "Up" High? take early. Maybe you prefer couch~lock? take late.

When I'm growing a strain or a donated cut for the first time, this is how I determine the harvest time: I take a branch off at day 56 and dry it as usual. Then another is taken on day 63, and another on day 70, and then (if I thinks its needed) day 77, and so on. Slow dry and cure as usual, making sure that each sample is carefully labelled. Smoke testing soon discovers which Branch I like best. Once I have isolated which branch is best for me, then I have my harvest time for future crops. And I haven't examined a single trich! Not done so for ten years or more now. Unless I do it just to see what's going on, or to decide if the plant is a decent hash source (not all plants are).

The thing is, we grow for personal consumption. So the one and only person who can tell you when your weed is ripe, is .... You! Forget the packet, forget your mates (down the pub or grow shop or wherever), and forget that book you read about growing cannabis last year. Read the plant, and read yourself. These two alone are your authoritative guides! Everyone else can go and do their own thing. You aren't growing for them, you are growing for yourself!

Great summary on the age old issue of when to harvest!

I first started off following the packs instructions, but soon realised, from sneaking 'early buds' that the effect of many plants are there from 6 weeks and continue up till 8,9,10 or more weeks. At some point the plant loses its vigour if left too late and cutting too early is a loss to the potential yield and the potency and character of the high.

I never labelled the buds I took, but knew from my calendar that it was week 6 or 7. That first taste gives a clue of how long to leave the plants. Its also a ritual for the first time grower to take an early bud, especially if your paying for your stash. At 6 weeks, the average Indica will usually give a punch. A Sativa might take 14 - 16 weeks to fully mature and have little bud at 6 weeks flowering. Growing organic allows the grower to not have a harsh tasting bud when taken early. In hydro, the plants usually need to be flushed of all the excess nutrients they hold. They taste harsh if taken early.

Anyone growing for their own use should always take early buds as advised by the OP. Everyone has their own particular needs and for some a bud harvested at 7 weeks will be perfect, others may want that bud from the 11 weeks in flowering plant. You'll never know until you try. Only growers have that luxury of choice.

1 person likes this

I don't really bother with trychs anymore. You can look at the pistils and calyxes and watch them start to darken and shrivel and the calyxes swell up and engulf the pistils as the plant ripens and goes into its harvest window. If you leave it longer, you can get some foxtailing and fresh pistils that can look confusing if you haven't been keeping a close eye on the development.

If you look at the plants daily, it's pretty clear where they are in terms of ripeness.