Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AvalonHerbs

Does water temperature make a difference?

33 posts in this topic

So following up on my previous post, another question came to mind which I keep seeing come up from time to time: Water Temperature

Some say that you can feed straight from the cold tap, others say to use hot water, others say to use cold but let it sit until it's room temperature.

Personally I've been using straight cold water + nutrients without any noticeable problems (minus the slight Ca deficiency which I outlined in the previous post)

So my question being; does the water temperature make any difference to the girls?

Cheers.

Edited by AvalonHerbs

Yeah it does, too cold and you will shock them and too warm encourages root rot. Best to keep it around 17 - 20 degrees C in my opinion.

6 people like this

I don't know whether it makes any difference or not but I fill up my water containers and let them stand in the groom for 24 hours before using so it's roughly the same temp as the plants. I've done this all my growing life because I was told not to water with cold water and, from studying horticulture, I have seen some ornamental plants suffer because the water has been too cold but they were difficult to grow anyway in Britain.

3 people like this

Agree with @@StevieRays,I always let the water stand for 24hours until room temp,if the waters too cold it will shock your plants mate

too cold and you will drop the temp in the pot to below 17'c and this will give you problems.

i just mix hot and cold from the tap to take the cold edge off and have and up to now ive had no probs at all ;)

also with organics i dont agree with the practice of letting your water stand for 24 hrs, unless you have an air stone bubblier to aerate the water that is, otherwise it becomes a good environment for anaerobic bacterial growth and it loses (edit) dissolved O2 content as well which is good for healthy micro heard/rootzone as o2 dissolved in water is the only place the roots can get some.

Edited by Sancho Panza
9 people like this

I add a little warm to my tap water but I have read somewhere that cold water in soil is good?

Sorry should of said my water butt has a bubbler in to aerate the water @@Sancho Panza :) Very important

3 people like this

also with organics i dont agree with the practice of letting your water stand for 24 hrs, unless you have an air stone bubblier to aerate the water that is, otherwise it becomes a good environment for anaerobic bacterial growth and it loses O2 content as well which is good for healthy micro heard/rootzone as o2 dissolved in water is the only place the roots can get some.

Only one of my three containers has an air stone (from my old aquarium) and I've never encountered any problems using the water from the ones that don't. Maybe I've been lucky but it's worked for me for over 10 years.

1 person likes this

if it works for you wiggz then fair play but its definaltey not best practice and might it not work even just a little better(for the plants) with air stones?

i know that my groom gets well hot in the summer and is not a good place to bring water up to temp as water ive left in buckets has furred up(with bactirea) those same buckets in less time than 24 hours.

Edited by Sancho Panza

I'm in the let the water get to room temperature camp. I don't think letting water stand for the time it takes to reach room temperature (or adding hot water to get it to room temperature) would significantly reduce O2 content sufficiently to allow anaerobic bacterial growth etc. I think the 'shock' of using cold water would affect the plant more, because cannabis is fairly temperature sensitive. But that's just pure speculation on my part, it would be interesting if someone did an experimental grow, three clones side by side, one using cold water straight from the tap, one using cold water straight from the tap warmed up to room temperature with some hot water added and one using cold water straight from the tap left to warm up to room temperature :geek:

2 people like this

Now I've thought about it, maybe I've been lucky because I sterilise my containers every couple of days. I'm not a hygiene freak it's just a habit I picked up from my dad.

Would cold water from the tap mixed with boiling from the kettle work also? I'm growing organic and don't have anything aerate the water so letting it stand still is a no-go. :P

1 person likes this

I'm in the let the water get to room temperature camp. I don't think letting water stand for the time it takes to reach room temperature (or adding hot water to get it to room temperature) would significantly reduce O2 content sufficiently to allow anaerobic bacterial growth etc. I think the 'shock' of using cold water would affect the plant more, because cannabis is fairly temperature sensitive. But that's just pure speculation on my part, it would be interesting if someone did an experimental grow, three clones side by side, one using cold water straight from the tap, one using cold water straight from the tap warmed up to room temperature with some hot water added and one using cold water straight from the tap left to warm up to room temperature :geek:

Would be good to see how the experiment effected the final result and yield. You can tell straight away when you water with really cold water they droop for a while afterwards, mine definitely let me know if it was too cold.

2 people like this

@@AvalonHerbs that's exactly what i did to begin with, its a bit of a ball ache but it works ok.

i now use my shower i just unscrew the head and dump the shower hose in a bucket. that works ace :)

So what are the actual symptoms of plants being 'shocked' by cold water?