Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OLaC

Anyone breed mealworms?

18 posts in this topic

I think I've gotten my chickens addicted to mealworms.. They fucking love the things and seem to prefer them to any other food scrap or insects I treat them with.

My problem is they're expensive and the prices seemed to have gotten higher just in the year I've owned chickens. I usually grab a couple of pouches from the pound store or sometimes a 5 litre bucket from Wilkos for 7quid. I happened to be in sainsburies earlier with work and though I'd check if they sold any as I'd ran out and they were £5.50 for a 100g pouch (more like sachet) who the fuck spends that much on garden birds??

Anyway been looking into breeding them in a three tray storage box (for their three life stages) and fed on oats and a bit of carrot for moisture. It all seems relatively easy and am just wondering if anyone here breeds them as I hear they're popular reptile treats and I know there's a few snake and reptile owners on the forum. I wonder how cost and time effective it is, over the convenience of buying them.

Also if you breed any other insects for feed, dubya roaches is another I'm researching, I only have bantem chickens though and the roaches look pretty big... And a little creepy lol (had a few bad experiences with roaches in Thailand) but I haven't ruled them out. :)

Edited by OLaC

Iv had colonies of roaches and worms. Tub's, heat mats and thats about it really, get it right and you will have a never ending supply :)

There's several types and sizes of roaches too, I actually found them very cool :)

1 person likes this

ive not tried mealworms yet @@OLaC but ive been considering it for my beardies, but all i read is that they stink after a bit, been think of doing the roaches as they say they dont really smell at all

atb hari

1 person likes this

i breed dubia roaches and silkworms for my reptiles

mealworms are a bit stinky so I buy 1/2 a kilo at a time from a live food suppler, they works out about 6.50 I think, if you get the smaller ones then you get twice as many and they soon grow once you start feeding them

1 person likes this

ive not tried mealworms yet @@OLaC but ive been considering it for my beardies, but all i read is that they stink after a bit, been think of doing the roaches as they say they dont really smell at all

atb hari

I didn't think about the stink lol I've been leaning more towards roaches too as you can breed them in a single container which makes things easier, I just don't know if my chickens will eat them..I'm pretty positive they will lol so might take that route. I watched a few YouTube videos and seems simple enough, cleaning looks a bit of a pain but seemed quick when you get he hang of it.

For the roaches he almost used a bubble bag system but with buckets with varying sized holes, and you start by pouring through the bigger holed bucket and finish when you're just left with a bucket of roaches and the bucket beneath with their shit.. Plus you can isolate them and eggs through the varying buckets if you need to , seems like a good system.

I might just breed mealworms to sell to sainsburies lol make a fortune!

How many beardies you got hari? I've aLways wanted one, they expensive to keep and run the vivarium?

i breed dubia roaches and silkworms for my reptiles

mealworms are a bit stinky so I buy 1/2 a kilo at a time from a live food suppler, they works out about 6.50 I think, if you get the smaller ones then you get twice as many and they soon grow once you start feeding them

Nice one Joolz, I've only got two chickens at the moment but will be getting three more and two ducks at the new property so have got to breed something or they'll run me out of house and home lol I might just try both dubia and worms as I can keep them under the same heatmat and isn't the feed pretty much the same too? I think his project wil be one for the garage lol so stink shouldn't be much of a problem :yep:

Iv had colonies of roaches and worms. Tub's, heat mats and thats about it really, get it right and you will have a never ending supply :)

There's several types and sizes of roaches too, I actually found them very cool :)

Nice one downoshi, yeh I think I'll go for them both as I assume If I get a big heatmat I can rest the two or more tubs on it? I'll be expanding my livestock at the new place, all of which will eat either worms or the roaches or both so the more feed I can grow the better!

I didn't think about the stink lol I've been leaning more towards roaches too as you can breed them in a single container which makes things easier, I just don't know if my chickens will eat them..I'm pretty positive they will lol so might take that route. I watched a few YouTube videos and seems simple enough, cleaning looks a bit of a pain but seemed quick when you get he hang of it.

For the roaches he almost used a bubble bag system but with buckets with varying sized holes, and you start by pouring through the bigger holed bucket and finish when you're just left with a bucket of roaches and the bucket beneath with their shit.. Plus you can isolate them and eggs through the varying buckets if you need to , seems like a good system.

I might just breed mealworms to sell to sainsburies lol make a fortune!

How many beardies you got hari? I've aLways wanted one, they expensive to keep and run the vivarium?

Ive got 2 beardies @@OLaC bro and normally i spend 20 quid a week on live food, hoppers(locusts) and morio mealworms which are the gaint ones(more like snakes) it would save me a massive amount in food for them, even considering growing my own kale as they love there curly kale, every review/how to guide i read said the mealworms stink but roaches aint as bad, ive never fed them roaches before so im not 100% if they would go for them, i would like to breed hoppers as they go daft for them literally, like a junkie on cold turkey shown a wrap!!!!!! but again im unsure and the misses is only just keen for the live food i get already lol no matter a farm....or 2 lol

if you do go for either man document it as you could give me the push i need to do it too lol

atb hari

1 person likes this

I breed my dubias in 3 x 18l rubs

2 have a colony of 60 ish females and about 10 males and I just pick the nymphs out and put them in the other rub and they go as feeders, but I'll hold some females back to go back into the breeder colonies

I don't use any substrate apart from their food which is layers pellets or mash and a bit of fruit or green leaf thrown in, they take no time or effort to look after but it takes about 6 months to get a colony going

meal worms are a bit more time consuming, silk worms are a pain in the arse to begin with but my chameleon loves them lol

1 person likes this

I breed my dubias in 3 x 18l rubs

2 have a colony of 60 ish females and about 10 males and I just pick the nymphs out and put them in the other rub and they go as feeders, but I'll hold some females back to go back into the breeder colonies

I don't use any substrate apart from their food which is layers pellets or mash and a bit of fruit or green leaf thrown in, they take no time or effort to look after but it takes about 6 months to get a colony going

meal worms are a bit more time consuming, silk worms are a pain in the arse to begin with but my chameleon loves them lol

yo @@Joolz

Any chance of a good guide :P

and what chameleon do you have, ive been considering a chameleon but all i hear is there very shy and should not really be handled to much and would be a bit difficult with the wee one running around tbh

atb hari

@@Joolz I never even considered silk worms lol, I'd love to keep some reptiles, I inherited a giant aquarium not so long ago and was hoping to convert it into a viv, but found out they're not worth it, something about the glass and maintains temperatures if I remember. I've got no real interest In Using it as an aquarium but if I ever try aquaponics or raising fish for meat I might use it ago overwintering or breeding tank? I dunno, I'll find some use for it.

Sounds like a pretty easy system for the dubia' and it seems fairly easy to recognise the females from the males after watching a vid, will just have to get past the creep factor which I'm sure won't take long.

@madhairbo £20 quid a week! Yeh man you really need to get on it, that seems like a fortune lol

yo @@Joolz

Any chance of a good guide :P

for dubia roach ?

thats about it mate, just put them in a box and let them get on with it, takes about a month to get the first lot of babies, depending on your needs depends how many you need per colony really

my beardie eats maybe 10 roaches a week, my geckos aren't fussed with them once they get around 5p size

and what chameleon do you have, ive been considering a chameleon but all i hear is there very shy and should not really be handled to much and would be a bit difficult with the wee one running around tbh

atb hari

he's an Ambilobe Panther, only about 14 weeks old now but he should look something like this in a few months time

Mr-J2.jpg

they are pretty shy and don't like to be handled as a rule but they will come to you if there is food involved, mine feeds from my hand already, as soon as I open up his enclosure he comes down to greet me :)

7 people like this

chameleons are strange creatures,i knew one that lived in the port of a jamo d365 house speaker for years,music on or off(the latter was almost never) he was quite happy

@@Joolz

that is one beautiful looking chameleon mate, lucky man i must say, i had the chance of a panther a while back but i turned it down as i was only starting to get into reptiles and didnt have the confidence to take one on, i would now but like i said i wouldnt want it terrorised by my daughter lol she loves the beardies but they are a handle able lizard and dont mind her infact my male wont leave her alone when i take him out, he seems to gravitate towards her all the time lol

Im gonna have a chat with misses tonight about the dubia's i maybe get a few in see what the beardies think bout them first lol

atb hari

chickens do love worms, mine used to come and try to eat my shoelaces :) but they were very stupid chickens even for chickens

1 person likes this