Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bongme

UK
Judge rejects cannabis plantation claim

19 posts in this topic

Hi

Judge rejects cannabis plantation claim

Wednesday 12 February 2014

A WOMAN who grew cannabis in the garden and a bedroom of her home to help ease the symptoms of her chronic lung condition emphysema has been ordered to carry out unpaid work.

A judge heard Diane Doyle had been ‘quite pleased’ with her success after planting some seeds in the garden during the summer so had started growing more.

The 50-year-old, of Alfred Street in Rugby, pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court to producing a quantity of the class B drug.

She was given a 12-month community sentence and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and to pay £535 costs at the rate of £10 a week.

The court heard in October last year the police executed a search warrant at Doyle’s home at just before 9am.

In a room on the first floor was a hydroponic set-up with a water tray, a pump and high-voltage lights, containing five small cannabis plants.

There was also a growing tent with two medium-sized plants and another six small ones, and outside in the garden were six mature cannabis plants being grown in pots under plastic sheeting.

Prosecutor Lee Marklew said if all the plants had reached maturity they would have yielded an estimated 627 grams of cannabis with a street value of £6,270. He added Doyle entered her plea on the basis she was growing them all for her own use.

Doyle, who had no previous convictions but did have a caution for possessing cannabis, at first told the police she would put her hands up to the plants in the garden, but that the others had nothing to do with her.

She admitted to smoking it because she has emphysema, which is generally caused by smoking, and claimed it helped her to sleep.

Stephen Bailey, defending, said there was a note from Doyle’s doctor setting out her medical conditions.

Asking the judge to consider a curfew rather than unpaid work, he said she had stopped using cannabis following her arrest, worked long hours at two jobs and had very limited free time.

But Judge Alan Parker told her: "The prosecution are far less cynical than I am about your intentions with this cultivation enterprise. I shall step back from my cynicism and sentence you according to the basis of your plea, but this is still very serious conduct."

http://www.therugbyobserver.co.uk/2014/02/13/news-Judge-rejects-cannabis-plantation-claim-96942.html

Bongme

To me that sounds like a stupid comment from such a seemingly educated person, hope the next defendant objects to him being judge on the grounds that he's a self-confessed cynic rather than a rational individual. Seems to me in this case the law called itself an ass, certainly looks like it. They also need to be far more accurate in their allegations of how much they claim drugs to be worth when there's no evidence of it. Have heard of guys being busted with plants that have actual value of £5K but in court it's been claimed the street value was best part of £40K. The British system through HMRC effectively liquidated the most successful football club on the planet based on their legal point of view only for them to lose the case at tribunal. The British system is rotten to the core and only looks the other way when its corporate thievery. Freddie goodwin could have had a weed farm covering half of Scotland and he'd have gotten away with it

3 people like this

Wow,

That is one of the worst stories i have heard.

I am actually annoyed,

That so called judge is clearly a c**t,

Also, (still angry)

Prosecutor Lee Marklew said if all the plants had reached maturity they would have yielded an estimated 627 grams of cannabis with a street value of £6,270. He added Doyle entered her plea on the basis she was growing them all for her own use.

Since when did we base things on if?..... if the seeds can been exchanged for a cow and were magic they could of turned into a hybrid beanstalk marijuana plant?

It's like arguing, "well if most died i would of only had a ten bag"

9 people like this

This is a ridiculous story and another appalling waste of time and money. This poor woman was hurting nobody by producing her own weed in her own house. Also, the inclusion of the 'street value' is suggesting she somehow had plans to sell, which is clearly not the case. Makes you wonder how the police found out about her small personal grow.....tipped off by a nosy neighbour perhaps?

She admitted to smoking it because she has emphysema, which is generally caused by smoking

Thats a typical journo statement that as I am pretty sure that it would be tobacco smoke that would cause it not weed.

Hazy

I don't get why people like this don't go not guilty. It is a fundamental human right to seek effective medication for pain relief. If I was a genuine medical user there is no way in the world I would accept a guilty verdict let alone plead guilty in the first place.

I agree that the valuation is bollocks too. Its irrelevant how much it might be worth if they had all matured and if it had been sold on the street when it is for personal use. Its just another way of demonizing users, making them out to be making a big profit. If you don't sell it it is worth no more than any other easy to grow plant, a cabbage for example.

6 people like this

Well if the tories can see fit to amend existing acts of parliament to remove strict liability what's the excuse when they won't look at amending other acts for genuine cases like this. I know it might well be hard to get a solicitor to represent you on a not guilty for something like this but surely it conflicts with human rights laws in some way.

You know, there is a difference between educated intelligence and sought out intelligence. Some of the stupidest people I have ever met have been considered very intelligent academically, but got most of their schooling from encyclopaedias and official sources, giving them just enough depth to feign knowledge/interest in a subject, but as soon as you push for detail or depth they fall apart. No critical thinking - no thinking for themselves and no interest to do so. Just thoughtless perceived knowledge.

Just like this fucking Judge.

3 people like this

To me that sounds like a stupid comment from such a seemingly educated person, hope the next defendant objects to him being judge on the grounds that he's a self-confessed cynic rather than a rational individual. Seems to me in this case the law called itself an ass, certainly looks like it. They also need to be far more accurate in their allegations of how much they claim drugs to be worth when there's no evidence of it. Have heard of guys being busted with plants that have actual value of £5K but in court it's been claimed the street value was best part of £40K. The British system through HMRC effectively liquidated the most successful football club on the planet based on their legal point of view only for them to lose the case at tribunal. The British system is rotten to the core and only looks the other way when its corporate thievery. Freddie goodwin could have had a weed farm covering half of Scotland and he'd have gotten away with it

I agree with your first comments regarding the judge, then you go off spouting nonsense. Rangers were liquidated because of their own financial mismanagement and dodgy dealings. They put themselves into administration and saw that the only way to avoid paying their dues was to phoenix into a tribute act of a club.

They had won the most domestic titles of any club, that doesn't equate to the most successful club in the uk, never mind the world. And their legacy ended there. New company, new club, new history.

:yep:

1 person likes this

Plantation? Farm? Factory?

This shit is getting confusing.

1 person likes this

Bit - I could almost mistake you for one of the darkside!

Facts are facts, the obsessive dhims already tried this, ECA ASA, SFA, SPFL & tragically (for tic fans - LNS) all said different, maybe tic fans will be able to if they hit 55 titles. The club's operators went bust, not the club or it's history. Financial mismanagement or not, they were guilty of no more than most of the EPL and liquidated on the strength of an accusation, not a verdict. It probably sounds like a skewed one but it's just another analogy on how fucked up justice is in this country

Anyway, we'll have to disagree on the football point mucker but judge is still an archaic twat who should be in a museum

Emphysema is not necessarily caused by smoking. My uncle David is a sufferer and has never smoked in his life. You cant believe fuck all news nowadays...

high-voltage lights

Hooked up to a pylon?

The International Electrotechnical Commission and its national counterparts (IET, IEEE, VDE, etc.) define high voltage as above 1000 V for alternating current, and at least 1500 V for direct current.

Edited by luang
1 person likes this