Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sun Tzu

Large scale BHO extractions

22 posts in this topic

gallery_479_8050_328332.jpg

7 people like this

Thoughts? I've just been told about the thiols, but I believe they have to be added to lighter re-fill gas too. Lighters are not odourless. I've been cooking with it for 7 years, in the room where I do everything but sleep.... and my neurological condition started before that so there! lol

sweet drawing dude! blue bottle butane is no good though fella although you can use n-butane if you know anyone who works in commercial refrigerator repair/installations :D

e2a I'd be a bit wary of some of the materials you have used too btw..

Edited by Embryo
2 people like this

They are added to a lot of the camping and cheap lighter butane, but the Near Zero Impurities cans don't have them, as far as I know.

If you are interested, there are some threads on TC with residue tests and lab results for some of the different brands.

Neat diagram. Enjoyed looking at that... Had no idea what's going on (;)) but enjoyed looking at it... :yep:

3 people like this

To much breaking bad lol just dont blow yourself lol

5 people like this

Rather large bomb you got there...never done bho beyond the meat baster method, co2 extraction looks a lot safer to me and produces a pure product...I know there are big differences between butane and co2 bottle pressures but surely a co2 extractor is not beyond the engineering skills of many on here

1 person likes this

If you wanted to make BHO on any kind of large scale you should look into closed loop systems. Not only is it considerably safer than open blasting, but it allows you to recycle the butane.

Skunk Pharm Research have parts lists and instructions for building a variety of different sized models depending on your needs.

They also have info on diy co2 extraction, and pretty much everything else you need to know about extractions and concentrates.

Edited by rastakolnikov
4 people like this

love the diagram looks like the kind of ideas which pop into my head from time to time, but i must agree with @@se7en to much breaking bad ;)

Anasrzi

If you wanted to make BHO on any kind of large scale you should look into closed loop systems. Not only is it considerably safer than open blasting, but it allows you to recycle the butane.

Skunk Pharm Research have parts lists and instructions for building a variety of different sized models depending on your needs.

They also have info on diy co2 extraction, and pretty much everything else you need to know about extractions and concentrates.

My next lot of drawings was after the closed loop thing hit me last night. lol. My cooking gas, from blue bottle, smells the same as my lighter, so I'm going to have a word with my supplier to see exactly what is in it. I've been living with this stuff for years and should have known sooner anyway. The thiols, though, smell like rotten eggs and are added to natural gas, which is odourless. Butane is no odourless, so it may only be added for the very safety conscious outlets. We (boaty's) use gas alarms, relying on smelling it is suicidal.

I love this though. Jump, Grobag and Jiffa will back me up that the flavour in here is very similar to that in the old "super critical solvents" thread lol

I ain't smoking nothing that's had butane in it, dude!

It's only an idea, and I've been running BHO since... fuck, 99? 00? No. of explosions so far? 0 So thanks for the concern about my safety but it's not necessary. I will check before hooning ahead, I promise. All gas fittings come from ex-corgi boy, all welding done by ex-fabricator with tickets for Ti, Au, etc.

2 people like this

gallery_479_8050_328332.jpg

You would be better off flooding the columns in parallel than in series. In series overwashes the first and underwashes the last.

Your purge lacks detail?

Consider recycling, if you are doing high volume.

Edited by Graywolf
3 people like this

You would be better off flooding the columns in parallel than in series. In series overwashes the first and underwashes the last.

Your purge lacks detail?

Consider recycling, if you are doing high volume.

I see what you mean about in series. Of course! Cheers for that, anything you think of will be gratefully received GW. The old thinking muscle is a wee bit flaccid these days, not the rippling beast it was in my youth dreams! I'm going to give this one plenty of time to ruminate and bounce of things in the old noggin before I even think of straying from tried and tested. Had an object less in that today. I knew I shouldn't try and work out how much 100 ppm is in 5l. lol After that, please don't assume that I have thought of anything. The level of danger-lessness seems not to signify.

I hadn't mentally moved on to purging beyond absorbtion in ISO, but I always preferred doing that to scraping, myself anyway. Any waxy shit gets left at the tide-mark, so to speak. I'm planning of looking into purging once I've got something to purge. Anything you can flag up for me in the meantime.. I like Jiffa's vac chamber, for instance... again, mate, any input from you is highly valued.

Thankyou for dropping in, I appreciate it.

Edited by Sun Tzu

I haven seen Jiffa's chamber, but here is a link to one that I made out of a pressure cooker from Goodwill, and scraps of polycarbonate purchased as remnants at $2/lb. http://skunkpharmresearch.com/diy-vacuum-purging-chamber/ Maybe not as purdy as Jiffa's, but it works and was cheap to build.

The best heat control that I've found to date, is using a silicone heat mat from Briskheat and my own PID controller, but you can put a bed of sand on some electric grills or griddles and get them toned down enough to operate between 38C and 66C.

3 people like this

Here's what I've been up to the last couple of days. I have been asked to run a few oz's of chillow haze for the breeder, so I'm ignoring the blue bottles for a moment in favour of tried and tested tins of newport. Here's the extractor I've made. I have enough bits to build another identical unit minus the volcano screen spindle thingy. I was amazed that all the bits I needed were to hand. Ignore the gas valve at bottom left, that's for later.

gallery_479_8161_99271.jpg

The tube is stainless steel, 18.5" x 2.25". Here are two shots of the bottom cap filter set.

Top view:

gallery_479_8161_11831.jpg

And bottom view:

gallery_479_8161_49945.jpg

I filled the tube about two thirds full with fine stuff near the top, progressively coarser material towards the bottom, and put 3.5 cans through. Collected the extract, after secondary filtering through 3 offset volcano screens, in a jam jar suspended in the lid of a doggy chew jar filled with hot water. The butane fumes went straight overboard and out to sea. I collected the stuff from the jar using pure Isopropyll, which I then evaporated before spreading out the oil on a large white tile and purging with a heat gun. After cooling, the oil's surface is no longer tacky, although there a few bits of gooey stuff, where the oil was thicker and had retained warmth longer. Here's the resultant scrapings:

gallery_479_8161_87306.jpg

And here's the lump, after re-heating with the air gun before cooling and freezing:

gallery_479_8161_116996.jpg

Would you guys think it worth reheating and vacuum-purging? It's lovely smooth stuff, no harshness at all. I would have used baking parchment, but the stuff I have is crap quality and went all lumpy when wetted with oil, so I stuck to my usual tile.

2 people like this