Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wotnwhy

Approach Grafting. A success?

35 posts in this topic

Good luck...

1 person likes this

Cool thread. I've only read a little about grafting and will follow your progress with interest. Have you considered smearing on a little rooting compound to encourage the hormones? No idea if it would help, but I think I'd be tempted (and in fact might give it a blast), it seems like it might work.

2 people like this

Great work dude, hope it all works out for ya. Ive not tried this myself but did read a bit about it quite some time ago, but the process was slightly different to the way you are doing it.

The way i saw it done was as follows.

1: Take cut to be grafted

2: Cut an angled notch into the branch you are going to attach the cut to

3: Apply a little rooting powder to cut and insert into notch

4: Wrap a small amount of sphagnum moss around graft site and cover with a bit of plastic(clingfilm or something) and secure around ends with twist ties making sure to secure the grafted cut also.

Cant remember exactly how long the moss was left on for but it was only used to stop the cut areas from drying to quickly, just to keep a bit of moisture there.

Anyway ATB dude

Freax

2 people like this

worth a bump...

2 people like this

Thanks for the bump @buddy13 :yep:

This was a lot of fun but I was only successful this one time. Made 5 attempts after but nothing ever took.

I kept this graft as a mother for a couple of years and eventually flowered it out to see what would happen. No issues genetic mixing as some hypothesised may be a problem. It was amazing to see a short, stocky, gnarly & colourful Sour Bubble flowering from the same rootstock as the taller, cola forming Smile. I should have some pics somewhere but haven't been able to find them, but sure enough if I do I'll come back and share them.

2 people like this

Alright there @wotnwhy 

Great little thread, I have a couple of questions to ask, did you take cuts off the grafted mother for each strain and grow them out? I know you said you kept her for a couple of years just didn't want to presume.

Thinking out out loud what about reveg a plant after harvest with a few different strains grafted at once, I suppose there is only one way to find out, this is certainly giving me something to think about, cheers take care.Jj:yinyang:

2 people like this

Hi there, thankyou :)
Yes, I took and flowered many cuttings from each side over the years. Never any change in what each strain expressed.

Not sure I follow you on the second part. Do you mean what about re-vegging a grafted plant that has been flowered out? Or what about grafting during re-veg?

I'll assume the first, and further assume that re-vegging a flowered graft wouldn't cause any genetic mashup or drift.

From my limited understanding, the plant holds all it's genetic info within every cell(?), which is passed on to the forming of new cells around it. So the graft meeting point will always be a 'wall' between the two conflicting sets of genetics. New cell growth around the join will be stemming from one side or the other, and will only take information from it's side. The only thing to pass through the graft point is supplies from the roots, no genetic information passes through.

As I say though, my knowledge is limited and I may well be wrong in my assumptions of the details. It would for sure be amazing if a genetic blend could happen! Imagine the possibilities!

3 people like this

18 hours ago, wotnwhy said:

This was a lot of fun but I was only successful this one time. Made 5 attempts after but nothing ever took.

shame about that part but..

7 minutes ago, wotnwhy said:

Yes, I took and flowered many cuttings from each side over the years. Never any change in what each strain expressed.

:notworthy:

this part is the bit I wanted to hear, multi strain mum's experiments coming up....

4 people like this

Bigger plants will make things much easier.
I think part of the problem I had was these mums were in 5" pots and only around 6" high... Meaning the 'approach' part of the approach graft was extremely tricky and fiddly, which I think was the major contributor in my continued failure.

Like with cuttings, I think bigger would be better.

2 people like this

Alright there @wotnwhy 

Thanks for your detailed response:yep:

I was thinking of re veging a harvested plant for a few weeks, then attempting to graft several cuts to said plant, with a goal of creating a multi strain mother, all in one plant, to keep the numbers down, and why not, at the very least it will give me something to do, thanks again for the info and your reply, take care.Jj:yinyang:

1 person likes this

That should work fine. Will have lots of fresh new growth to go off :yep:

I originally did this with the end goal of a multi strain mother to keep numbers down. If low numbers are important I think it has great potential! But it's also just a fascinating experiment to try and witness (still looking for the flowering pics..), I think I may have another pop at it too. Good luck and have fun! :)

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, wotnwhy said:

(still looking for the flowering pics..)

that would be great:cheers:

1 person likes this

Well as soon as me girls are done I'll crack on cheers again for the info @wotnwhy

take care. Jj:yinyang:

Posted (edited)

@buddy13 & @Jibba jabba I found the flowering pics!

Left side is the Smile, right is the Sour Bubble.

large.5b1efa4ce832e_smallIMGP0796Graft.jpg

large.5b1efa50d3665_smallIMGP0801Graft.jpglarge.5b1efa4fab2b9_smallIMGP0800Graft.jpglarge.5b1efa4e701c6_smallIMGP0799Graft.jpg

Smile

large.5b1efa5202cf2_smallIMGP0802Smilegraft.jpg

Sour Bubble

large.5b1efa49d849f_smallIMGP0803SourBgraft.jpg

Both sides looking and acting true to form. I nicknamed this Sour Bubble 'Red Vine' due to the fact that it spread out like a creeper plant with the dark red stems.

Edited by wotnwhy
4 people like this

On 11/04/2018 at 2:11 PM, buddy13 said:

shame about that part but..

:notworthy:

this part is the bit I wanted to hear, multi strain mum's experiments coming up....

I know can you imagine one mum with all sorts of special stuff grafted in. Sick idea!

2 people like this