Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wotnwhy

Approach Grafting. A success?

35 posts in this topic

So at the start of the month I had a half hearted go at an approach graft. I said I'd start a thread if successful, and still early days, but I think it's worked. So here we go! :)

The host mother plant is Smile, the approacher is Sour Bubble. Both are bonsai mothers standing about 8 inches high.

20 days ago I took an arm of each plant, stripped everything below the first few internodes and lashed them together. I then took a scalpel and cut about a 20mm section off each stem, above the lash. I went quite deep, about halfway, maybe more. And I then bound the 2 together, which is what you can see in the below photo:
gallery_64756_5052_150887.jpg

(The dying leaves to the left of this are a failed normal graft attempt)

6 days later I take the binds off to see they have appeared to heal together:

gallery_64756_5052_59025.jpg

The other side (I don't have a photo at this stage), doesn't look as good as this, and appears to have healed seperate. But this side looks excellent with a nice dark scar.

So it's off with the root of the Sour Bubble, and off with the top of the Smile:

gallery_64756_5052_155571.jpg

And so as the next week went by, the graft started slowly dying. This was 7 days ago:

gallery_64756_5052_7939.jpg

But it was dying very slowly. A few sprays of PM Essence seemed to help. It was going from the bottom up and it was just getting to the very top part as the drying and wilting seemed to halt.

Over this last week, it has looked like the surviving top part has actually been growing! And after taking some pics tonight and comparing. I would say it definitely has:

gallery_64756_5052_216410.jpg

(In this photo you can better see what I meant earlier about the other side of the graft not looking to have taken, you can see the start of the incision from the Sour Bubble)

gallery_64756_5052_216410.jpg

So I'm tentatively calling my first successful graft! :D

I will keep this updated as things progress!

16 people like this

Congratulations on a very cool effort, but it still took you 20 days, when many growers can have roots on a clone in 10 days, but still great fun!

Ha ha! Thanks :) But I'm not doing this to save time. The idea is to have several different strains on single plant to keep mother numbers down ;)

Edited by wotnwhy
14 people like this

a multi strain bonsai mum is on my "to do list"

great start well done

:smartass:

MM

Ha ha! Thanks :) But I'm not doing this to save time. The idea is to have several different strains on single plant to keep mother numbers down ;)

But having differente genes between root mum and crafet strain would interfer on the final clone? Say after 6 month that smile probably will dlower diff the original one?

Edited by se7en

had no idea about this, hadn't even crossed my mind. good work mate :v:

its interesting what you've done and i hope it works out well for you, i understand where your coming from keeping numbers low and still have a good selection of different strains to play with. Keep us all posted

Anasrzi

Great stuff. Be really cool of it all works out for you! :smokin:

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

@se7en We'll have to wait and see because there's no solid info out there (that I've found). Apparently with roses, after a couple of years the separate strains start to merge. But roses can self pollinate (no male) and it's during pollination that 2 different sets of genes merge(?). So I'm hoping no. But only time will tell with that one.

Before the weekend I started an approach graft on another arm of the Smile, this time with a Blues. Unfortunately I went away for the weekend and my housemate forgot to water... The Blues didn't dry out, but the Smile did. Hopefully things recover ok. Will get some pics of the start of the Blues graft up later! :hippy:

EDIT - To add; Just a thought, but if the graft DOES start to take on some of the genes from the root plant, then it wouldn't be an instant or complete change. So at some point, you would have a mix of two FEMALE plants, no dad used. Could be even more interesting than a boring old graft!! :shock:

Edited by wotnwhy

So here we have the start of the 2nd graft attempt.

The new plant to be grafted is one of my Blues, the lower yielding, but faaar sweeter smelling of my 2 examples, and what I'm hoping will be the strawberry milkshake pheno I had last xmas (still a week or 2 till the first grow of this is chopped, so I don't know for super sure yet)!

med_gallery_64756_5052_29842.jpg

Lot's of long branches here so hopefully not so awkward pulling the 2 together!

Then picked a stem on the Smile, and stripped the 2 ready to lash together. Blues left, Smile right. You can also see the Sour Bubble graft at the forefront of the pic.

med_gallery_64756_5052_44155.jpg

Once lashed together, sections were cut out of each stem. Ended up going way too deep with the blues, leaving only a sliver of stem :doh: But trooped on and got the cuts together and lashed them up. I didn't get any pics of this middle bit as I was panicking about the Blues. But once tied up, things looked ok:

med_gallery_64756_5052_216826.jpg

So I would say I'm quite pleased that, considering what happened over the weekend, both plants look happy! I will be removing the lashes later to see if things have started to heal together.

3 people like this

So the binds have come off. Doesn't look to have completely taken, but then neither did the Sour Bubble, so we'll see how things go.

(Blues left, Smile right)

gallery_64756_5052_90372.jpg

Most of the graft doesn't look to have joined, but there is a tiny area Immediately above the lashing that still there that doesn't look too bad. Fingers crossed!

And with all the bindings off. The 2 have stayed together.

gallery_64756_5052_100773.jpg

And so it's off with the bottom of the Blues.

gallery_64756_5052_96761.jpg

This time I have decided to keep the Smile top in place too. My thinking is that with it still being there, it will help keep the energy from the Smile roots flowing up towards the Blues. Will take it off in a couple of days.

And finally, a shot alongside the Sour Bubble graft.

gallery_64756_5052_105553.jpg

8 people like this

Very interesting this. Have read about it but never seen photos of it actually being done.

Will be following. Good luck!

Well done Wotnwhy on this fine work… Grafting is not the easiest thing to do, but it looks like you have managed to do it and quite nicely as well. I will be looking forward to seeing your future attempts and updates to your grafting journey :yes:

Thanks for the kind words @@Stoned Whale @@Valencianvimana :)

Unfortunately, the Blues graft didn't take, never bonded so never got to the snip. Tried again with a #1 cut in a Jiffy pellet but then forgot to water the pellet and again failed...

I'm currently inundated with plants and have no room for manoeuvre. But once my current lot dries and the next go into flower I'll have the space to try again. In the meantime I'll get a pick up of the Sour Bubble graft soon, as it's coming along great!

:hippy:

1 person likes this