Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clay Davis

Grasshopper Vaporiser, the portable we've been waiting for?

88 posts in this topic

I just wanted to share this for all those vapour heads who haven't seen it yet and thank @@vapefiend for making me aware of it on his Facebook page. To find the link just google 'indiegogo grasshopper'.

The Grasshopper portable vaporiser ticks all of the boxes for me. I've been waiting for something with a feature set like this to arrive and with such a fast moving market and wider legalisation/decriminalisation, it was only a matter of time for it to become available; I just hope it lives up to the promises.

So first things first, this unit is not publicly available and they are at the point of gaining funding through a crowd sourcing campaign on 'indiegogo'. If they don't meet the funding target of $100,000 dollars, this thing won't even be released. The good news is, at $81,000 and with wide support and 22 days left in the campaign, they are highly likely to reach this target.

The vape costs $99, combined with the international postage we would have to pay (at a reasonable $20) this thing comes in at an affordable £74 delivered. That is the benefit of being the first to (blindly) buy, you will get it at what I can only presume to be a close to cost price.

So here it is:

gallery_77891_6268_186165.jpg
And here's why I think it will be a such a successful vape (if they pull out off):
  • Low cost, cheaper than any reputable vaporisers currently on the market
  • Attractive, durable and portable unlike the majority of vaporisers currently available and more desecrate (with the exception of the Puffit inhaler style vape)
  • Replaceable batteries for only $5
  • Lifetime warranty (excluding the battery)
  • Easy cleaning - the end, which contains the 'bowl' can be unscrewed and dropped in ISO and is the only part that will require cleaning
  • Convection heating, the herbs are heated indirectly by hot air drawn through the bowl, a superior method to conduction (contact) heating which can heat unevenly
  • Externally selectable temperature dial and supposedly accurate temperature selection
  • Microprocessor controlled heating element which maintains selected temperature and reacts to your draw speed to maintain that temperature
  • Standard USB charger, which allows use whilst charging and elegantly attaches to the end using magnets
  • User upgradeable software/firmware via USB. This will enable tweaks to the device, post manufacture- a very unique and appealing feature
  • Future oil friendly bowls and water adaptors in the works once the funding has been achieved
  • Very quick heat up time (5 seconds claimed but I'm sure you'd need 30 seconds or so to be at a stable temperature)
  • Decent battery life, 3 hours claimed and 1 hour to charge from a USB mains charger (2-3 hours when connected to a laptop)

I've now come across as a complete fan boy! lol

I have no connection to this device but am seriously impressed by the feature list and after researching the company, i'm equally impressed by their ethos and community based stance.

I've seen @@vapefiend has chipped in to be one of the first to receive one and I'll be pledging this afternoon. I was wondering what you vapour heads think? Be interested to hear if it has the same appeal for you lot.

Vape life baby!! :yinyang:

Edited by Clay Davis
2 people like this

Damn it Clay! Now look what you made me go and do!

1 person likes this

Looks quality lets hope thy raise the doller

1 person likes this

I think it looks great, been thinking about buying one for a few days but this video puts me off, He draws on it for ages and doesn't get much of a hit, looks like it would take a lot of constant sucking to clear a few bowls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZK9rQ553sw

4 people like this

Sorry @@Hot_Rock, don't shoot the messenger!

I know what you mean @@StevieRays but it's early days.. I dunno, I think it's hard to gauge. I've noticed certain buds barely produce vapour compared to others, so I don't think it's all that fair to judge on this video. The problem with portables is there are always going to be compromises. I think what's important is the low draw resistance, so even if you do have to draw more compared to a desktop unit, it isn't an effort. But It does seem a bit too good to be true!

Obviously there is risk with buying an unproven product, but at this price I think I've been swayed. By the way it's due to be shipped in Feb 2014, all being good.

2 people like this

might be an idea to take a few soft quick draws to get the heat flowing through the herb properly before your able to get a decent hit an go for your proper tokes. the same applies to my volcano. i either have to let the chamber sit on top of the unit with the heat on for a few mins max to allow the herb to heat up a lil bit or i have to put the fan on an leave it about 10-20 seconds before i get any real vapour come through an then put the bag on.

i dunno if jus leaving the herb in this an leaving it on for a min or so would help solve this problem. i dont see why it wouldnt.

3 people like this

I've also found that @@Grimweeder, a very good point. I notice on the solo this seems to happen, the first few draws have less vapour but plenty of flavour. In my opinion, clouds of vapour don't mean a lot- if you want clouds, go smoke a bowl!

3 people like this

Lets hope its as good as they reckon

1 person likes this

Like everything about it, but I did wonder that there might be difficulties in getting a decent draw/high. I guess we won't know until a few more have been tried & tested, but one to watch :yes:

1 person likes this

There are discounts available on add-ons for black friday!

1 person likes this

Good shout! Got the update email earlier to notify me because I put money down on one on Sunday. They've reached the $100,000 and are at around $120,000 unlocking add-on's (new colour, oil bowl & water pipe adaptor). I chipped in more money today for the 'water pipe' :yep:

Didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if anyone else is risking it! :yinyang:

I'm personally not risking it as the claims they're making are so far beyond our current vape technology that for it to come together is going to be a pretty tall task. Not saying it won't, I'd really love it to, but I'm just personally not convinced that they'll be able to meet the expectations.

Fingers crossed though because if its even 2/3rds of what they're claiming its gonna be a pretty special bit of kit.

We'll see...........

I'm personally not risking it as the claims they're making are so far beyond our current vape technology...

What claims are those mate?

Fingers crossed though because if its even 2/3rds of what they're claiming its gonna be a pretty special bit of kit.

We'll see...........

That's what swayed me :yep: That and the low cost to risk ratio.

Your absolutely right though, a very tall order. I've spent a lot of time researching the company and there was a really good pod cast with them- they stated that the vaporisation market has been lazy, with little innovation and IMO they are right. Everything they have proposed is feasible, the only thing that I can't understand is the insulation to prevent the vape from getting too hot.. that's something we will have to trust for now because they have used new/uncommon materials to achieve it and is patent pending.

I foresee a delay but I really can see them doing it, being the first to break the mould. This trend is only set to continue in the market which is booming (with cannabis products currently being the largest growing sector in US), innovation is needed.

1 person likes this

Agree with you 100% @@Clay Davis. I've got my fingers crossed.

@@Hot_Rock Having a pure convection portable vape in such a small package that doesn't get hot and has a reasonable battery life.

2 people like this