Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abe Froman

Vegetarian Recipes -Post your favourites here

55 posts in this topic

Seeing as there's a lot of us that have done / want to cut meat out of our diets for various reasons i feel the site could do with an area dedicated to it.
So to separate the meaty meals from the meat free , i thought it'd be an idea to start a thread dedicated to it.
i'm looking for a range of ideas from breakfast to evening meal that will help us all keep healthy and full of energy. :grubsup:
If there's enough , it might lead to a subforum which could be separated into threads for Breakfast , Lunch/Dinner & Tea/Evening meal. :chef:

Edited by Abe Froman
13 people like this

Excellent idea Abe, thanks. My daughter is vegetarian and I'm always on the lookout for new recipes we can enjoy together :yahoo:

2 people like this

ingredients -

1 can of beans - 2 slices of buttered toasted bread.

...you can see where i am going

5 people like this

looking forward to some nice recipes and shall contribute a few myself

As a chef I hate vegetarians. I could barely type the word without feeling the anger. :furious:

Good luck with it though, I'm sure you'll find lots of people who are passionate about vegetarian food.

• 4 sprigs fresh tyhme, leaves only

• 6 allspice berries

• 1 bayleaf

• 1 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped

• 10cm/4in piece root geinger, peeled, very finely sliced

• 1 onion peeled, chopped

• 1.2 litres/2 pints or water, veg stock

• salt and freshly ground pepper

• 450g/1lb yam or potatoe, peeled, cut into 3cm/1¼in pieces

• 400g/14oz sweet poatoe, peeled, cut into 4cm/1¾in pieces

• 450g/1lb pumpkin or buytternut squash, peeled, cut into 4cm/1¾in pieces

• 4 large spring onions, trimmed, lightly crushed with the edge of a knife

• 2-4 scotch bonnet, finely chopped

• 1 x 400ml/14fl oz can coconut milk

• 1 x 400g/14oz can butter beans, drained and rinsed

• 150g/5½oz spinach or callaloo, leaves only, washed, shredded

bring to boil simmer spices n stock for half hour-1hr then add veg and simmer for hour or 2 daammmm

gallery_37232_4830_73258.jpg

gallery_37232_4830_120677.jpg

Edited by Jiffa
11 people like this

Cooked brown rice

Chopped onions

Tomatoes

Vegetarian cheese (mature cheddar works well)

Place layers of each ingredient (to taste) in an oven proof dish, repeat layering and bake at gas mark 4/5 until it looks ready, serve with nice bit of salad :grubsup:

1 person likes this

What is it Jiffa ?

a soup/stew depending how much stock you reduce , more stock less veg is a ace soup

no animals was harmed during this production

Edited by Jiffa
3 people like this

I've stopped putting beef mince in my (Anglicised) chilli, now I just use a selection of beans, 5 or more different types. Just as tasty, filling and satisfying, but much cheaper :)

8 people like this

Nice one, Abe :yes:

Here's a recipe which we tried the other day - this is more of a winter recipe to help the immune system and (apparently) protect a bit against colds and other wintery ailments. It looks fierce but it's actually very creamy and mild, not like eating 50 odd cloves of garlic in other words. Highly recommended (also suitable for vegans :punk:)

Garlic soup made with 52 cloves of garlic

26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) organic butter (grass fed)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 cup fresh ginger
2 1/4 cups sliced onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
26 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
4 lemon wedges
Preheat oven to 350F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and toss to coat. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes. Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves. Transfer cloves to small bowl.
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, thyme, ginger and cayenne powder and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add roasted garlic and 26 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; add coconut milk and bring to simmer. Season with sea salt and pepper for flavour.
Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.
8 people like this

As a chef I hate vegetarians. I could barely type the word without feeling the anger. :furious:

Good luck with it though, I'm sure you'll find lots of people who are passionate about vegetarian food.

@@BigJohnny yes vegetarians are very annoying ! But their are plenty of vegetarian dishes I would happily eat everyday, I think meat is a little overrated.

The majority of Indian people live a meat free diet and have some of the very best vegetarian dishes ever !

Dont get me wrong their is meat and then their is good meat, good meat cannot be beaten. Most animals would dye slowly and painfully without man, for instance deer loose their teeth and die of starvation in the wild, so thats something that buds me about veggies.

@@BigJohnny yes vegetarians are very annoying ! But their are plenty of vegetarian dishes I would happily eat everyday, I think meat is a little overrated.

The majority of Indian people live on a meat free diet and have some of the very best vegetarian dishes ever !

Dont get me wrong their is meat and then their is good meat, good meat cannot be beaten. Most animals would dye slowly and painfully without man, for instance deer loose their teeth and die of starvation in the wild, so thats something that buds me about veggies.

@@Boojum

is it canned beans or do ya cook yer own from dried?!

I am an unrepentant meat eater - I even tried being veggie for over a year a long time ago - but that loooks interesting... and I LOVE beans, me! :grubsup:

@@podencoid

I'm also a garlick freak, must try that!

edit: the OH is veggie, but I get bored, except with lentil dahls and the likes...

Edited by Bones_Chronic
1 person likes this

Why?

3 people like this

10 Min Minstonie for under £2

1 Oninion Peeled and sliced thinly

2 Gloves of Garlic Peeled and chopped

2 Veggi Stock cubes

1 Tin of chopped tomatoes with juice

Spaghetti broken into small pieces

Frozen Vegg mix (Iceland £1 bag) Carrots Peas Green beans cauliflower

Fry off you onion and garlic until lightly golden brown, add tin toms and simmer for a few mins until the toms thicken slightly.

Add boiling water and veggie stock to fried onion mix, season salt pepper oregano if you have some, simmer and taste for you liking !

Add broken spaghetti simmer until spag is al dente, add your frozen veg dont over cook them this is the key !

Add Parmesan and croutons for something a little more special !

2 people like this