Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NattyFido2

Solid ducting (plastic)

24 posts in this topic

Hi peeps, anybody using 4" solid plastic ducting? If so, how do you connect the fan and filter to it?

The ducting I have is the same size as my fan and filter but doesn't fit over them. I had thought of using a short piece of flexible ducting to connect them, but the outside diameter of the plastic duct is just a little to big for it to fit over.

gallery_46350_5285_549.png

This is how I want to arrange it, the asterisks mark the joins that don't fit.

Any ideas?

Natty :afro:

Larger regular "foil" ducting over the top of the plastic ducting with a jubilee clip and some gaffer tape?

Edited by KingBlueRizla
1 person likes this

Duct tape is your friend

:pugwash:

1 person likes this

I use to use a little length if the standard foil ducting to join the solid tube to the fan, filter, etc., which incidentally was pvc drain pipe ( or soil pipe cant recall) :yep:

edit: with jubilee clips and duct tape

Edited by ACR
1 person likes this

Can you not "shammpher" the inside of the plastic pipe to sqweez over other joint ? what about a reducer (5" to 4") then seal with insulation tape ? not ptretty but should work out ok as longa as you have that seal :yep:

Or as KBR said...

G :v:

1 person likes this

Wouldn`t use duct tape its not strong enough IMO a decent brand of thermal insulation tape can withstand massive temp fluctuations and also moisture levels , using duct tape will just have you re-applying over and over agin :yep:

6 people like this

shammpher

Making up words? It only brings up 1 search result on Google! :clapping:

chamfer*

1 person likes this

Ah, spelt properly. :D Never heard of it before though...

lol not making up words mate just cant spell for toffee ! apologies some will know what i ment but in future i shall check before saying something of the sort !

Ah, spelt properly. :D Never heard of it before though...

I picked it up of the building sites years ago i use it in my job daily (im a thermal insulation engineer) but obviously i have never had to spell it before as pointed out lol

4 people like this

Yeah, I only just learnt its gaffer tape, not gaffa tape. :D Never had to write it, so never thought about it. :D Never a need to apologise for spelling. :D

I was wondering if heating the end of the ducting to soften it would allow me to push it over the CF, but only having a clipper by the time I got one bit warmed up, the rest has cooled down! Will probably have to use flexible duct from the CF to the first 90 degree bend.

Take a look around pipe centers etc online and look at the different sized plastic pipe/tubing , they have some real peculier sizes as i have come acroos when im lagging pipes at work for instance 4" pipe work is measured at 114 (ID) im sure you can get pipewprk with a ID of 114.7 perhapes the .7 will just be enough to connect over (with a little chamfer too) thanks blanket :D

G :v:

1 person likes this

When i was wiring houses, we used to use 4" Wavin pipe, the stuff used for sewer pipe from your house or for drainage etc, when we were doing long runs venting from a fan to the soffit outside, we used the plastic ducting to do this, push the plastic ducting inside of the plastic pipe and run electrical insulation tape around the join, then do the same at your fan, though i am not sure about smells, so you may need to give it a try first, but even when it was above a shower cubicle it kept things sealed as there was never any condensation issues or leaks, sometimes we used it for runs up to 5 metres, and never any problems. get decent electrical insulation tape and use plenty constantly overlapping as you move along the join. Dont buy the cheap crap ya see in petrol stations as the glue isnt very good.

1 person likes this