Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StevieRays

Mystery Oil

144 posts in this topic

@@SwiftyGreen The Gasone does have the lowest PPM value, but that particular brand of gas contains Mercaptans, which are put in for leak detection. Smells of rotten eggs, not something you need or want in your extracts.

Whilst the Newport has the highest PPM, it is still a low number, We need to find a UK supplier of Lucienne online, which shouldn't be this difficult, considering it is made in the UK.

@@KingBlueRizla Thanks for clearing that up and will have a look into the Lucienne :v:

E2a My bad for Skim reading Graywolfs info above the table I've been up all night :upside:

Edited by Swiftygreen
2 people like this

Another update from GrayWolf.

Well the Colibri and Ronson samples arrived, and were eye openers. The Colibri measured 15 ppm residuals and the Ronson 224 ppm. I expected them both to be lower, especially at their prices.

Here is the up dated list with the results for Ronson and Colibri.

Next I will take in bulk gas for testing.

As noted in Skyhighlers post above, MO's ppm samples from a larger run were not yet ready, nor were the discrete samples to further isolate the evil spirits.

gallery_70722_5914_29813.jpg

Forget Ronson :rofl:

Edited by KingBlueRizla
4 people like this

Some potentially sad news, in that in extended testing, Specialty Analytical has found some cans of butane with contaminants at more that three standard deviations from the low levels that they typically maintain. As ya'll may know, there are only 3.89 standard deviations to the complete curve, so that suggest that the refineries are not always in control and can't be depended on.

More information on the actual numbers Monday, when they are released to me and I can do the math.

1 person likes this

Impurities were the one main reason why we stopped making and smoking oil so many years ago.

Maybe some of you might know of the "Eye lid twitch" issue lol It happened using ISO and a few other type methods/solvents as well. Not Naphtha though but I've only used Naphtha recently and for ingesting only. I have smoked a ton of it since and with no eye lid twitch lol

This BHO stuff really made me think about it all over again. I've only made BHO once and only to see what it was all about.

I'm not a butter or shatter or BHO fan as I haven't seen anything where it shows to be clean.

Bubble's the way! :)

Edited by gb1

Yeah bubble for me to, since after reading this thread my days

Well im going to carry on making BHO and ISO , im not at all fussed about ingesting a few PPM of random hydrocarbons, after i accidently swallowed a mouthful of petrol while syphoning a tank it seems a bit pointless worrying about trivial amounts.

:rofl:

4 people like this

Some potentially sad news, in that in extended testing, Specialty Analytical has found some cans of butane with contaminants at more that three standard deviations from the low levels that they typically maintain. As ya'll may know, there are only 3.89 standard deviations to the complete curve, so that suggest that the refineries are not always in control and can't be depended on.

More information on the actual numbers Monday, when they are released to me and I can do the math.

Hi, old thread now I know, but is there any follow up on this variation @@Graywolf (I had a look on SPR but couldn't see an update)?

I was looking for an update on this also..

Would using ISO be safer?

10-4-13

Still awaiting lab results for the last three, but did get the results for two different lots of Lucienne, as well as Gasone and Iwatani.

The nice lady in the office and I miss-communicated earlier in the week, and I incorrectly reported the last Iwatani results as Lucienne. Even the ppm is incorrect, as the Iwatana cans are 394 ml instead of 300 ml.

That aside, and cutting to the chase, here are the correct Parts Per Millionth residual contamination, after evaporating away the butane, as reported by a certified third party analytical lab, for the first three brands,

The, balance of the information on other brands to follow, ostensibly Monday:

On the subject of refining our search, Marty ordered the standards required to further investigate the aromatics detected in the ppm range, as well as the cyanide compound in the ppb range.

More on that after the standards arrive and more experiments are conducted.

OOPs...........Sorry not able to post the picture, but the two samples of Lucienne had 1.4 and 1 ppm respectively, or an average of 1.2 ppm, while Gasone and Iwatani were at .66 and 1.8 ppm. The picture is at http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-mystery-oil/

Hi, old thread now I know, but is there any follow up on this variation @@Graywolf (I had a look on SPR but couldn't see an update)?

Except for my home testing, no one in the US is currently quantitatively testing the butane supply for non-volatile residue (Mystery Oil.) If you follow the link GW supplied in his post quoted above, you'll find a link to a forum where I have up a Best to Worst Canned Butane list that is continuously updated. You'll also find a link on how to do the test, which is what I recommend, that you learn to test your own solvents! My simple, easy, and concise test provides the weight/percentage, tint, and odor of the residue with just a 300ml/165g sample (one can's worth.) To test bulk tank supplies just use an inexpensive scale to squirt the same amount (~165g) to the receiving jar. About 165g has turned out to be the perfect minimal sized test sample to get decent readings with a milligram scale, a larger sample can be taken for increased accuracy, it just takes longer to boil off...

My bare bones explanation of the situation is GW's qualitative third party GC-MS test seems ok, but my testing indicates the same lab's quantitative testing to be flawed, no other third party lab testing has been done. If there is accurate third party quantitative non-volatile testing available, no one's using it, Colibri, Newport, Capital, and Puretane, had much, much more residue upon retest a year later...

Here's my basic non-volatile residue test (please boil off the butane in a safe manner outside)

Cut the top off a one gallon ziplock bag to further reduce the weight (generic bags are fine.)

Fold the bag up, place a rubber band around it, place it on a milligram scale, and record the tare weight.

Open the bag up wide, fold the top down one inch to stiffen it so it doesn't collapse, and place the bag into to an evaporating dish.

Place the evaporating dish in another dish like you would when doing an open blast boil off, warm water goes in the second dish...

Squirt a 300ml/165g can of butane into a quart Mason jar. See the video below, freezing the jar and solvent is of benefit in keeping the blow-by to a minimum.

Pour the solvent from the Mason jar into the bag.

Add warm water to the larger dish to speed up the boil off.

After boil off, pat dry the outside of the bag.

Vacuum down the bag to remove any volatile residue (like pentanes,) and moisture.

Fold the bag up, place a rubber band around it, place it on a milligram scale, and record the final weight.

The difference in weight is the amount of non-volatile residue (Mystery Oil.)

Divide the weight of the non-volatile residue by the sample weight, and multiply the result by one hundred to obtain the percentage.

Notes:

Here's a video of how to squirt liquified gas into a Mason jar, "New Method for making BHO" by Jamus Herbeau,

https://youtu.be/VTVRYk0Zdg4?t=1s

Here's the milligram scale I use, and recommend, an AWS Gemini-20,

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428083560&sr=8-1&keywords=milligrams+scale

To get accurate milligram readings every reading must be followed by a check with the calibration weights. I recalibrate over and over as the scale's readings drift as it warms up. Feel free to obtain a better scale... but it's going to cost you dearly.

Here's the small inexpensive scale I use to weigh samples in the Mason jar, an AWS BL-1KG-BLK 1000 by 0.1 G,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012N1NAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This test provides weight/percentage, odor, and tint of the non-volatile residue. Take a good whiff of the test bag before and after vacuuming down, there should be very little odor after vacuuming. Fold the residue area of the bag over a couple of times, and place on a white surface to check the tint. A little yellow tint is typical of Korean and Chinese gases even if it's good stuff otherwise.

Best, John E (SkyHighLer)

Edited by SkyHighLer
1 person likes this