Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

forest dog

Wood Burners

94 posts in this topic

:wassnnme: After we nearly died cos of carbon monoxide poisoning as the previous house owner cut corners every which way he could with the heating, Mr PB decided we were gonna go for a wood burner instead of a new gas fire....... First we had to build the old hole in the wall into a fireplace and lay down appropriate hearth stones to accomodate the burner.... A chimney sweep was called prior to this to make sure the old chimney would do the job, and I honestly expected that to cost mucho wonga, but he done the sweep, and pressure testing for about £100 ;) ....

Dont make the mistake we made... we saw one , we liked it, we bought it. Then we found out that anything above 5 kilowatts meant having to fit extra air vents, so what we had bought was just too powerful for our lounge unless we fitted 4 air vents in the room.....

Start again... lol .... as we had already built up the area for the burner we were faced with having to find a burner to fit the hole we had :doh: as opposed to buying a burner then making its hole lol....

We eventually found one, and called the engineer to fit it as you have to have a Heatas Certificate to certify that it has been fitted professionally as without that certificate.... well, lets just say it is a house insurance loophole. Had or if anything goes wrong, no certificate means your house ins may be questioned and used as a loophole to get outta paying ....

So pleased we followed it all thru especially as the energy companies upped there prices this winter......

For cheap wood, a good idea is to find a place that recycles old pallets, and use the main blocks as they are already cut up for you, using this along with seasoned purchased woods, cuts the cost even more and they burn well, are sized well.... admittedly they have nails in them here n there but they get chucked when you clean the fire anyway....

I learnt also that you have to use seasoned wood to burn, so in effect come Spring, we will be buying next Winters wood giving us the rest of the yr to dry n season it ;)

Sadly our dog has laid claim to the burners surrounding area lol , and we end up all scrapping for a place to sit and enjoy its warm red glow .... Feels like a trip back in time to my mum holding a sheet of newspaper over the old coal fire to get it going lol , glad to say lighting it is a much easier job than then....

4 people like this

Huge amounts of wood lying around after the storms .....get those chainsaws out !

PB we did the same as you, but had an old chimney breast/fire place to use and built it all round the stove...new hearth and stuff.. I bloody love it and so do random women that I may have entertained :wink_kiss: What is this Heatas cert thing ? never heard of it..

And our cat lays with her feet on the hearth and just crashes out....it's a nature thing...cat and heat and man and fire...!

Those burners are beautiful and I'm surprised to learn that the chap who makes them is a friend of a friend, I didn't realise he had that little talent hidden away.

We've been considering a burner but we're leaning more towards a rocket mass heater now, as I've a couple of mates who have them and they cannot recommend them highly enough.

2 people like this

:shock: Well blow me down..... wood burners, the cost of wood etc.... is it worth while financially?

Felt I had to share this with any of you that are perhaps thinking of going down that route. Today we received our bill from npower, been waiting with bated breath for this bill to see if we are financially better off now that we have our wood burner up and running.

Admittedly because of energy company price increases we have been more aware and frugal, for instance , I made an enormous thermal door curtain, instead of just turning up the central heating when I felt cold sat in my t-shirt, as is the norm in our house. Jumpers were the first line of attack lol ,turning off lights that just sort of get left on and closing doors too.... little things to try and save money to spite the energy companies and their costs.

Mr PB has kept a record of the cost of wood we have used so far too..... So, is it worth while?

I was truly worried that we had been spending more, but I told Mr PB that if we broke about even then that was cool. I just love the sound of the wood burner crackling and roaring away, the sounds alone make me feel warmer lol

Right, figures , pounds and pence.... we pay by direct debit and as it stood our monthly bill was £184 :eek:

The bill we received today has reduced this monthly bill to ...... take a suck on that spliff peeps..... now it is £60.00!!!!!

For the first time ever in Winter, we are in credit by £607.02! I truly am beaming like a Chesire cat lol . It isn't just using the wood burner that has reduced the bill, as I said we have been more aware of all energy being used and wasted, but.... well bugger me :yahoo: Npower owe us wonga , YEEHAW!

So YES, it was worth the bother of fitting, worth the bother of lighting it, and worth the bother of sweeping up the ash next morning. Which this yr is a bonus as I intend to start an organic compost heap ;)

9 people like this

I'm a big wood burner fan. All the guys who live on their boats here have got one, and I know exactly what you mean about the sound, PB, that and the glow mean that you start to feel warmer almost straight away. We only got a machine mart special, but that with free wood has made for a cheap, warm winter. Last year a friend scrapped a wooden yacht, so we burnt that, this year another mate has started up a boat-building business, and I get all his offcuts and wasteage. Beautiful bits of mahogany and teak that it almost seems a shame to burn.... almost! The same geezer was on a trawler last winter and saved all the sea-coal from each haul, the nicest stuff you could possibly burn, some of it is proper anthracite, welsh steam coal that doesn't even smoke, and the heat it produces is something else. We liked it so much I'm considering going out with my skiff in the summer and trawling up some for myself.

E2a: Buy a Bosch electric chainsaw and have a word with local tree surgeons and gardeners, they're always looking to get rid of wood, otherwise they usually have to pay to get rid of it.

Edited by Sun Tzu
3 people like this

3 guys at work with burners, im the one with the chainsaw license and i love sortin wood for them. Had a massive ash come down in the last storm which should keep em good for a bit :oldtoker:. # re plant :yinyang:

3 people like this

Last year a friend scrapped a wooden yacht, so we burnt that, this year another mate has started up a boat-building business, and I get all his offcuts and wasteage. Beautiful bits of mahogany and teak that it almost seems a shame to burn.... almost!

Decadence! For free!!

2 people like this

As seen as my boiler broke on Xmas Eve I thought I'd bump this thread lol still haven't got mine but my Dad has had his installed and it's awesome, heats the whole house. Even more determined to get mine sorted now

Fuck your boiler lol

Merry Crimbo everyone

:xmas:

2 people like this

@@Tony Montana if you're not in a smokeless area, get yourself a multifuel boiler stove, fucking ace, if you're smart you can have unlimited heating and hot water for >€100 a month (in Ireland) For comparison, I used to burn €2k worth of kerosene a year, had electric bills of up to €200 a month (fecking immersion heaters) Now €80-€100 a month on coal nuggets, a little labour in the Summer filling the shed with deadfall, one load of lovely turf in September @€150, and my electric bill down to €100 a month.

When you learn how to use the valves on the stove to maintain the burn, you can burn em 24/7

5 people like this

Love these burners, hopefully moving into a new place in the sticks soon, this has given me inspiration to try and make my own gas cylinder wood burner for a bloke space in the shed! :yes:

I've a clock made by Steve Parry from a chainsaw engine and a load of bike bits, it's awesome! :)

im in the middle of fitting a small log burner in my house. ive only got the chimney / flue to finish when the weather eases up and i can get up onto the roof safely.

ive got some questions about what i can burn. i have access to a joiners workshop skip at my work, its always full to the brim with all sorts of wood. i read on google that i shouldn't burn treated woods. other than the obvious man made woods mdf, chip board etc im not sure how to tell if wood is treated or not. apparently pallets are ok to burn so is most of the wood in the skip at work ok to burn too?

Edited by Shogun
2 people like this

Usually treated wood means tannalised or paid ted/stained etc.

Next time your in the garden centre look at garden furniture or fence panels etc. They have a light green hue to them. This is the tantalising and should be avoided.

If it's coming out of a joiners skip and its from anything that isn't going to be out in the weather youl be OK.

Once you've seen tannalised wood youl know what I mean.

In fact @@Shogun seeing as we're in this modern age a Google of tantalised wood will probably help.

If the wood looks clean. Ie the same on the outside as what it looks like where it's been sawn it will be fine.

Pallets are definitely fine unless again treated. Pallets are actually what most kindling is adequate from these days.

Pallets to be avoided are the blue euro Pallets.

Any that are made from light coloured softwood that are clean is what your after.

An easy way to bust Pallets is to throw them on the ground while there turned in a diagonal kite shape. The weight of the pallet hitting the ground tries to consetina it and walla. A busted pallet in a couple of drops

Hope this helps

Edited cos spellchecker changed tannalised wood to "tantalised wood" which may have been interesting to Google lol

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
3 people like this

I use to have woodburners when I lived in trailers,twas lovely watching the 'pictures' through the flames,good times.