Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

forest dog

Wood Burners

94 posts in this topic

We had a multifuel fire fitted 3 years ago and it was the best thing we have done, the house was toasty all winter and the fuel bills were reduced quite a bit.

the price of logs these days is crazy, really reflects how much woodland has been cut down wantonly in the past.

We were lucky having our own woodland to manage and this always kept us in 'free' wood.

I remember paying about 25 quid a tonne, now (depending on where you live) it is as much as 140 a tonne but it still works out cheaper by 1/2 than using domestic oil or kerosene.

Don't know if any of you have heard this before but I memorised it when I was a kid from helping out this dude who used to deliver logs.

Beech wood fires are bright and clear,
If the logs are kept a year,

Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for long it's laid away.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
Blaze up bright and do not last.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
Even the very flames are cold.
Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills you eyes and makes you choke.
Apple wood will scent your room,
With an incense like perfume.
Oak and maple, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter cold.
But ash wood wet and ash wood dry,
A king shall warm his slippers by!

3 people like this

Yes it certainly helps to know what you are buying as you can get ripped for wet wood and resin filled pine. We pay up to £50 a ton for the odd load but we mainly get ours for free its just the work to cut load then restack it.

Its the resin filled pine that really funk up a woodburner and chimney/flue. Its this that causes chimney fires. Costs a fortune to get it removed by a chimney sweep too. Really not worth the risk burning it unless its the odd log in a mixed load of hardwood and you want a quick flash of heat when you light the fire...

£50 a tonne is cheap mate. I remember laughing at the influx of city folk into my village who get ripped off for unseasoned wet logs and crappy pine and then complaining about their houses being cold in winter, while the locals would look sheepish and snicker in the pub ;)

1 person likes this

Just finished my latest burner its made out of 2 gas cylinders and some other bits I had kicking around I ripped the heat exchanger out of a condensing boiler and turned the condenser in to a heat exchanger so it makes huge amounts of hot water its even got a hot plate on the top so I can boil my kettle and run my still planning to heat the whole workshop with this one I have got a few radiators to hook up to it and a hot water cylinder for lots of lovely free hot water

6 people like this

could you post up a picture? sounds like a brilliant project

2 people like this

Rocket mass heater.

brilliant :yep: i spent an hour or 2 looking into these yesterday after reading your tip.

i want one in our outhouse , i'd love to incorporate one into the design..

cheers cam :smoke:

Edited by Abe Froman
4 people like this

i really want to make a small rocket heater as my fireplace is tiny ,being only about 14" x14"x22" and can i find an example that would fit in it anywhere ..nope ..if anyone has any vids of tiny rocket heaters for small fireplaces please post them up

the price of logs these days is crazy, really reflects how much woodland has been cut down wantonly in the past.

We were lucky having our own woodland to manage and this always kept us in 'free' wood.

I remember paying about 25 quid a tonne, now (depending on where you live) it is as much as 140 a tonne but it still works out cheaper by 1/2 than using domestic oil or kerosene.

It tracks the price of other fuel gas/oil goes up the cost of wood goes up.

From what i can gather the designs are flexible vince , but certain things have to be taken into account & some parts need renewing such as the internal chimney. :unsure:

i think that the minimum recommended size for the duct is 4 inch.

and things like ease of cleaning / ash removal need to be thought about.

3 people like this

Woodburners rock

Here in French land I pay 110 euros for 3 cubic meters of dry split oak,thats delivered too

2 people like this

brilliant :yep: i spent an hour or 2 looking into these yesterday after reading your tip.

i want one in our outhouse , i'd love to incorporate one into the design..

cheers cam :smoke:

Ianto Evans - Rocket mass heaters is the book to get.

1 person likes this

Bonjour to you hawkwindzoo ,that is a good price for oak ,last winter we were dng oak for 55 euros the steer ( cant remember how to spell it ironicaly) and it was to bloody hard to make the money buggered the tendons ,cold feet chapped face and hands,doing it for free wood realy . This year 4 trees blew down in the garden inthat big wind we had a month ago ,burning that at the moment its green but it burns .I wrapped some microbore round the flue pipe of my old Godin and connected it up to my gas water heater to save on gas .still allways runs out in the middle of cooking the Sunday roast . Catch yer later

1 person likes this

i traded logs for cheese, im happy ;)

rocket stoves can be made to pretty much any size, youve just got to scale it down, some guy made one on the youtube somewhere that runs off matches, about the same size as a couple of golfballs, have a look at the portable rocket stoves, theres a guy making them that looks like wooden chests, you going to fit a mass? all you need is a 4 inch hole in the registry and you can use flexi pipe to go to that

could you post up a picture? sounds like a brilliant project

Hi I will take some picks of the wood burner tomorrow

I made it out of a large gas tank that came out my old 4x4 that I gas converted 12 years ago and the gas tank had got to rusty for road use

2 normal gas cylinders and some other bits and bobs that I had in the scrap metal bin ..

the heat exchangers came from a knackerd condensing boiler I payd 99p for off ebay picked up 5 miles from the house

central heating pump £3.00 local boot sale and a load of used copper pipe I picked up off freecycle with 5 used rads

also got a old copper water tank taken the immersion heaters out of it trying to make a heat exchanger to fit in side that at the moment to get some clean hot water out of the system as well

the boiler used to heat a 5 bed detached house so it makes loads of hot water its hard to stop it boiling its self to death and the main cylinder glows red hot got some fire bricks here might try lining it not sure yet ..

next think is a rocket burner for my shed home here got a few ideas how to get blown hot air off that to heat the ferret shed help keep them and the dog warm

Edited by hinky999
1 person likes this