Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

forest dog

Wood Burners

94 posts in this topic

no, thats definitely a pyrex dish, what a fantastic/cheap way of making a window/door, just had to replace glass in my woodburner, £20 for less than a piece of A4

1 person likes this

Bloody amazing, i`d have a wood burner in the blink of an eye but my poor choice of residence has scuppered that idea for the time being

I have the same problem as you describe. Burned wood for 35 years and miss it dearly. Cut a tree up a few days

ago and told the wife where we used to live that tree would bring a lot of money. But , where we live now nonone

would take it because there is wood available everywhere in the area. Sure do miss having a wood stove.

excellent I've got 2 wood stoves and 1 wood fired boiler love the things you can't beat a real fire.

I've had mine over 10 years each shocked the prices of them these days I paid £150 for my big cast iron stove it's £400 now 12 years later robbing bastards. The boiler cost me more than my car lol for the boiler alone.

Edited by Haventaclue
1 person likes this

Lovely, really nice

I'd love a wood burner, or even just a proper fire

How easy is it to install a wood burner in a modern house?

opened my fireplace last year, been without for 10 long years, never again :yes:

1 person likes this

@@Tony Montana piece of piss depending on where you want to put it :yep:

1 person likes this

Really @@Embryo ? That simple? Would love one in my living room but would also love to capture the energy created

I wouldn't say it's a piece of piss mate, a useless cunt I know skimped on flue and ended up killing his own son in his sleep by carbon monoxide poisoning. :doh: Do it properly and get it tested afterwards.

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this

My opinion is subjective obviously...

But yes it is a very simple process :)

2 people like this

I'm not disagreeing with you mate, I installed a wood burner by myself and found it really easy. Just need to make sure the flue is long enough to draw up the smoke and gasses. It's sad that if the guy I knew had spent an extra 10 pounds on flue length, his lad would still be alive today. Installing a burner using an existing chimney is much easier than building one from scratch. Get a carbon monoxide alarm and have the flue tested by a professional if you're in any doubt imho.

:yinyang:

8 people like this

Flue pipe is wider one end and thinner the other so they stack into each other you should use fire cement! Easy to retrospectively fit to a chimney the suggested method is to run the flue all the way up the chimney otherwise there is potential leakage problems if you have a 2 story and a blocked off upstairs fieplace.

I live in a 1930's house which has 4 fire places was originally coal (I'm actually banned from wood fires in my house deeds but I can burn coal go figure lol.) I have a boxwood stove which I love no see through door but I leave the door open when heating I only shut the door for starting the fire or when I cook on it.

Would love one in my living room but would also love to capture the energy created

Rocket mass heater.

8 people like this

Thanks @@Cambium

T, x

Yeah, I have seen these before but the others I have seen are more 'rustic' to say the least.

Where I grew up on the farm we had 2 old multifuel Rayburns with water jackets that could heat up the 5 bed old house with no pvc glazing or modern insulation without a problem when going flat out.

The most common way to install a wood burner as someone else has said is to run the flue all the way up your chimney with a decent cowl on top, if you get a spinning one it adds a good draft and stops back smoke into your room. Always bear in mind that if you want a good fire you need a draft inside the house too, which most modern houses don't have (unless they were built by cowboys).

I have the most basic gas bottle design woodburner in my allotment shed and I slept the night comfortably there last winter when it was -8 outside :)

The first property I bought had a beaufiful Yotul (geni I think) straight into an ancient 5ft fireplace. The walls were 3ft thick and granite and after a couple of years living there I had a chimney fire. This was because the flue just ended inside the bottom capped chimney and couldn't be cleaned without breaking it. The fire lasted for a good few weeks and the back wall radiated heat from the granite lintels and kept the house toasty.

Having said that, we also had a fire in one of the Rayburn's flue and that was scary as it went directly through the lean-to roof which was fibreboard and asbestos :/

I love home fires but they can be really dangerous...

Edited by erbsta
1 person likes this

opened my fireplace last year, been without for 10 long years, never again :yes:

That is just what we are going to do for the coming winter. :)