Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cravetherave

Wiring the Xpelair WAC 1

24 posts in this topic

it depends on what model you've got, the slower 150 A1 runs at 60w & the 150 L1 runs at 115w, if you've got the L1 model,

you could try it with the wac1 on setting 5 but i dont know if it would run or cause any damage, you'd need to ask davey jones or scraglor

as theyre the resident sparks with definite knowledge to make sure ;)

tho if it does run, you'd need to factor in altering the powersetting ratings, ie - at no5, it would be at 65% & at no4 it would be 48%, the rest are too low.

Thanks for your reply pal :yep: but I've ordered a 2A variac last night to play with :-)

you wont be disapointed with the variac but just make sure you've got an enclosure big enough to house it, if you need any help, ask away :yep:

you wont be disapointed with the variac but just make sure you've got an enclosure big enough to house it, if you need any help, ask away :yep:

Appreciate that, cheers. Coming from Wattbits BTW, Maplin's don't seem to do them anymore!

Joint Hogger:

Just a quickie:

My 2A variac turned up today (ordered Sun evening, not bad that).

I understand how to wire it, but it makes mention of the earth connection, but there is no earth connection. Does it mean to earth any metal enclosure I may use, or earth the metal chassis of the variac? There is no terminal for this that I can see

Thanks for the help :yep:

this was a major pita getting the Earth connection figured out & i nearly fried the variac,

these days, Ravistat like to send out a few pics i took detailing where the Earth goes.

right, if you get the variac, unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom of the connector plate &

gently prise the plate up like this, be very careful as theres only an inch or so of free play.

e2a - you also need to unscrew the 2 nuts on the E connector (Live out)

2A Variac 1

2A - updated earth 1.JPG

then you need to scrape of some paint around the screw hole on the metal mounting bracket
so theres a good contact when you use a crimp ring connector to connect the earth, the connector
fits inbetween the mounting plate & the connector plate, one of the 2 screws you took out holds it in place.
(btw, i didnt use a yellow ring, this is just to highlight where it connects, so use a red ring for 1.5mm cable)
jobs a good yin :skin_up:

2A - updated earth 2.JPG

2A - updated earth 3.JPG

Edited by Joint hogger
1 person likes this

just also remembered when looking at the last pic, i dont know if theyre still sending out the 2A variac with 270v dial or if its 240v but if it is still 270v,

you have to adjust it 27 increments for every 10% power, so its 27, 54, 81, 108, 135, 162, 189, 216, 243 & 270, just remember tho that the minimum

setting it should be set to is 40% or 108, the fans internal motor & capacitor need a minimum amount of airflow to keep them cooled.

1 person likes this

Nice one pal :yep: funnily enough that is exactly what I was going to do re the earth conn. As for the dial legend, yes it's a 270v one, so cheers for the heads up on that scaling issue. Had it wired up already with a light bulb, minus the earth, works a dream ( though with only 4 contacts I should hope so!)

1 person likes this

BUMP My wac1 arrived this morn,just wired it up with my stube 100,lovely and quiet on setting 2 :yep:

1 person likes this