Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpiderKamenetzki

Seeds straight into soil... how long roughly till it sprouts?

Hi guys,

Growing Paradise Seeds Vertigo as my first ever grow, planted the seeds at 22.30 on Thursday night. Out of the 5, I planted 4 straight into their final 10 air pots litre pots, and the last one I put in a wet paper towel between 2 plates. As of about 23.30 last night, the one in the paper had sprouted the first little bit of tap root. I was too high to risk potting it at that point, so I did it this afternoon around 12.30.

I was wondering, for the ones planted directly into soil, how many days should I be expecting until they sprout? When I planted them, I put them about about an inch down in pre-moistened soil, damp but not soaking. Since then, I have been giving the top soil a good misting everyday with spray bottle, again making sure not to soak the water. About 2 hours ago I popped cling film over the top of all 5 pots, and turned on the CFL which I will be using for the first few days of their lives above soil.

So I know for sure 1 has definitely germinated, and the other 4... no clue. I have a feeling the paper towel germinated one with pop before the other 4, if they even pop at all. Is there anything I've done wrong so far? At what point should I start worrying about non starters? At 22.30 tonight the 4 straight to soil seeds will be 4 days planted.

Obviously as I'm a first timer I'm probably a little more worried than I should be, but still it's in my nature to fuss a little too much sometimes. Can anyone give me some peace of mind?

normally a couple of days ime.

Had em pop after 5/6 days b4 tho...

good luck. :smokin:

how many days should I be expecting until they sprout? When I planted them, I put them about about an inch down in pre-moistened soil, damp but not soaking.

I'd say never days. That's way too deep, they just won't have the energy to push through that much compost, in my experience. The compost contracts and hardens as you wet it and let it dry too, to the disadvantage of the seed.

Honestly, I'd get a small tool like a knife or the blunt end of a teaspoon or whatever and gently scrape back a few layers of compost. I'd go until I can see the top of the seed and what it's doing.

I've buried seeds too deep in the past, never that deep though. After a week, if you think it's dead and dig down you often find the seed germinated but coiled up on itself, just couldn't 'handle the pressure' you could say.

Anyhow, that's what I'd do, best of luck with them :smokin:

7 people like this

i agree with HailCannabis,an inch is way too deep...gently scrape off some soil dude and you should see them popping through the soil anytime..

i have had seeds that have taken up to 5 days to germ in soil before ,so try not to worry too much.

atb :oldtoker:

Thanks for the stellar advice boys. You were right. They'd sunk even deeper into the pot because of the watering. Gently dug down with a teaspoon until I could see their heads, all 5 had tiny tap roots sticking out. One of them I scooped up with a bit of soil in the spoon... it had literally only just poked the tip of the tap root out... so I put it back as gently as possible. Hopefully I haven't damaged any of them. Guess we'll see in the next couple of days.

Seed direct into pot 4-5 days typically.

What I do is water the pot before the seed goes in. i.e. don't put the seed in the pot

with dry compost, then water. Water first and then make a 1.5cm hole and pop the seed in

and cover, then add a few drips of extra water over where the seed is.

Keep that centre bit where the seed is nicely damp for the next day or 3.

I have 2 Paradise Seeds Wappa (not auto) in water right now, my tiny pots are prepped with damp compost

so as soon as the seem splits in they go.

I will be interested to see how their Auto Vertigo grows.

Keep a close eye on them once they sprout, seedlings is the trickiest time IMO.

Edited by Soberman

Well I'm not sure how successful this attempt will be now - I had to dig around in each pot last night in order to locate each seed and rescue them from death by too much soil. I was very careful but I'm worried that I may have damaged or disturbed the germinated seeds. They all had white tails but lord only knows if they'll all sprout. I'm expecting them tonight or tomorrow morning. The soil is being kept moist and the pots have cling film over them now. Also the radiator is on in their keeping it a steady 26C.

I have a grow diary going on in the grow diary forum, but I'm not going to start it proper till the seeds pop their heads up. I'll link you of they don't die.

they'll be ok, leave them be now :)

warmth and moisture is all they need. If mine don't pop I warm them up a bit more, they seem to get energy from the warmth.

Happy days! Just got back from work and I can see two little seed heads above soil! I feel like a mother who's just been reunited with a child thought previously lost. Well, at least 2 are alive. At 10.30pm tonight it'll have been 5 days. Looks like we'll see the diary start proper tomorrow.

3 people like this