Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Happy Hippy

Nikon dslr

Hi guys just hoping to be pointed in the right direction plse...got a d3100 with the bog standard 18/55 lense and im currently looking thru older lenses on fleabay

Am i correct in thinking that most of the lenses will fit the camera i have without any adapters, and i will just lose autofocus function on the d3100?not a problem as i intend to try and use aperature/manual operation..ive done nothing but watch youtube vids about how to use my cam in manual mode so im going to be playing about with it lots..im hoping i can get somewhere near the quality of pics on here..

Also are there any special old lenses that peeps recommend that are great pieces of kit but dirt cheap now we have the digi revolution...

Cheers guys any advice really appreciated..

Peace

1 person likes this

Your lens is aps-c, which refers to the sensor size. If you buy old 35mm film lenses or Aps lenses then you need to be aware that the focal length is different. Roughly speaking IIRC this makes a 50mm full frame lens 75mm on your camera.

And obviously it needs to be Nikon mount.

1 person likes this

There's allot of good old lenses out there the best place to research them all is Ken Rockwell's website, he'll give you the low-down on just about every Nikon lens and camera since the 70's. Lens Hero is also a good resource although the information is very limited. You should also read the back of your camera manual, it'll tell you exactly what lenses will work and what functionality they will have on your camera. Sadly the days when you could pick up the true gems from the 35mm film days for peanuts has passed (if they were ever really here) with the introduction of full frame DSLR's. There's still bargains to be had but you're not going to find something for nothing.

Peace

2 people like this

Generally, fast lenses are better optics than slower ones, that is a 50mm f1.4 lens is better than a 50mm f2.8 lens. Hence there will be a difference in price. The larger maximum aperture is possible because the optics allow it to be used whilst still maintaining acceptable sharpness.

thanks everyone i will be back soon with loads of Qs im sure..

peace

Hey dude :D

Your Nikon body has no motor in it to so it can't Auto focus the older lenses,

Manual focusing is damn hard without a split screen prism in the view finder.

Okay for non moving subjects like canna though soooooo, Also alot of them willn't meter on your camera but again not so important IMO.

Look for second hand AF-S and AF-I lenses as these will work fully, But you can get away with all older Nikon Pre AI, AI, AI-S, AF-D and AF lenses if you wanted.

Toke care

Mrm :v:

1 person likes this

Hey dude :D

Your Nikon body has no motor in it to so it can't Auto focus the older lenses,

Manual focusing is damn hard without a split screen prism in the view finder.

Okay for non moving subjects like canna though soooooo, Also alot of them willn't meter on your camera but again not so important IMO.

Look for second hand AF-S and AF-I lenses as these will work fully, But you can get away with all older Nikon Pre AI, AI, AI-S, AF-D and AF lenses if you wanted.

Toke care

Mrm :v:

Hiya Mr M

Thanks for the info m8,as usual ive dived straight in and not really thought about the body but now i gotta learn to make the most of it,ive been trawling thru fleabay and im still in shock at the prices of the dedicated macro lenses and now im totally confused as well doh..oh well at least i got something to keep me occupied as i do loads of research..

toke it easy dude.

Peace

If you want a dedicated macro lens there's not that much benefit having AF anyway or VR for that matter. I ended up getting a Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 AI lens for £90 for my D600, it's a bit battered but still does the job and the glass is clean. I was also drooling over flashguns for macro. I studied the SB-400, then SB-600 and SB-700 decided on the latter, then decided at some point each was the right one for me to get with a short detour into iTTL ring flashes. Eventually I just bought a £8 diffuser that slips over the end of the lens and stuck with the built in flash for now. That's my macro setup sorted for less than £100.

Peace

Edited by Laphroaig

We could answer your question better if we knew the sort of photography you're interested in. For example, if it's motor sport you want to shoot you'll be looking for a telephoto as you probably won't be that close to the action. Nikon does a pretty decent 70mm-300mm zoom. The 70mm focal length won't give you a decent wide angle for landscape shots but you'll be able to zoom in on the action.

The standard kit lens you have is decent enough for general photography but not rated too highly amongst Nikon users. For an 'every day' lends I use the 18mm-200mm lens as this allows a wider angle shot at the 18mm end but has enough of a zoom to target further away subjects.

If you like street photography you might want to look at their prime lenses. These have a fixed focal length so you can't zoom in or out from the subject (you just move closer or further from your subject to frame it). A 50mm F1.4 is a fantastic lens. Very fast, very sharp and good value for money.

If you want a lens to do macro work the 85mm isn't bad. I've got the 60mm but would have preferred the 85mm.

If you want a dedicated macro lens there's not that much benefit having AF anyway or VR for that matter. I ended up getting a Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/4 AI lens for £90 for my D600, it's a bit battered but still does the job and the glass is clean. I was also drooling over flashguns for macro. I studied the SB-400, then SB-600 and SB-700 decided on the latter, then decided at some point each was the right one for me to get with a short detour into iTTL ring flashes. Eventually I just bought a £8 diffuser that slips over the end of the lens and stuck with the built in flash for now. That's my macro setup sorted for less than £100.

Peace

Hi m8,cheers for the info i think i will go down the sameish route as you,ive watched a few vids and one in particular used a macro extension ring on my same 18/55 lens and i was well impressed so ordered one as well..not the dear one with all the contacts though doh.

Thanks man :yinyang:

We could answer your question better if we knew the sort of photography you're interested in. For example, if it's motor sport you want to shoot you'll be looking for a telephoto as you probably won't be that close to the action. Nikon does a pretty decent 70mm-300mm zoom. The 70mm focal length won't give you a decent wide angle for landscape shots but you'll be able to zoom in on the action.

The standard kit lens you have is decent enough for general photography but not rated too highly amongst Nikon users. For an 'every day' lends I use the 18mm-200mm lens as this allows a wider angle shot at the 18mm end but has enough of a zoom to target further away subjects.

If you like street photography you might want to look at their prime lenses. These have a fixed focal length so you can't zoom in or out from the subject (you just move closer or further from your subject to frame it). A 50mm F1.4 is a fantastic lens. Very fast, very sharp and good value for money.

If you want a lens to do macro work the 85mm isn't bad. I've got the 60mm but would have preferred the 85mm.

Hiya Twisted..yeah dude i shoulda said initially i just want to get real decent plant pics of course,then im sooo intrested in the macro world i want nice big pics on my walls that those who dont smoke will ask what they are lol...then when it warms up i would really like to get into the street art type 50 mm f1.4 is exactly what ive been looking at on fleabay,so thanks for letting me know thats a gdun..

Defo no landscapes,portraits...just not bothered its all about the weed pics for me 1st off..sado i know lol..just gotta get on cream of the crop :bong:

Peace

lol then you'll need to be looking at the macro lenses. Nikon do some great glass in this range. As I mentioned the 60mm and 85mm are well respected and these will be great for the type of photos you're after. However, there is also a 120mm if you wanted to shoot the hairy fanny of a gnat.

There's a monthly magazine called NPhoto which is handy for any new Nikon user as the articles cover how to use the various switches and dials on your camera. It's worth a look.

lol then you'll need to be looking at the macro lenses. Nikon do some great glass in this range. As I mentioned the 60mm and 85mm are well respected and these will be great for the type of photos you're after. However, there is also a 120mm if you wanted to shoot the hairy fanny of a gnat.

There's a monthly magazine called NPhoto which is handy for any new Nikon user as the articles cover how to use the various switches and dials on your camera. It's worth a look.

Cheers dude thats exactly what i need 120mm...there was a thread on here years ago and one post looked like the surface of a crystal moon and i fell in love with it..wish i cld find it now doh...thanks man for taking the time to let me know its appreciated :yinyang:

peace