Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jalapeno

1st Growroom, can't feel much airflow!

Hey guys :) I've been lurking on this forum for a while and learned rather a lot, i feel, thanks to all of your wonderful input and occasional horrid problems ^_^

So now i'm working on my 1st Grow with the following equipment:

100mm Rhino Pro Filter

Lumatek 600w Dimmable with 600w MH/HPS bulbs

Ruck RKW 100L temp controlled 4" fan

all inside a DS120 (120x120x175 [even though it said 120x120x200...])

Now, i've wired up my fan, which is sitting on top of my tent and attached acoustic ducting to either side. Now when i turned it on, i can feel no air leaks anywhere, but i don't really feel that there's too much air being pulled through my filter. Basically i was expecting it to be a little more dramatic.

The fan is, at max speed, 270m3 (min 173m3) and it seems like the filter is rated 350m3

I fucked up because i thought the fan was rated a bit higher until i just rechecked the specifications... but does this sound as if it should be able to handle 5 or 6 plants within that space? Are there any key points i should be looking for to know that it's going to be able to handle the smell, by the time the smell comes? I'd hate to get to that point only to have to uproot everything after i get the fear.

Should i buy a bigger fan? I also messed up buying a 150 silverstar when everything else was 100mm, i totally didnt notice it was a vented fan when i quickly changed from an adjustawing after reading about the silverstar being perfect for that room size :/ :russian:

I have this terrible habit of being over enthusiastic and jumping in thinking i have everything figured out, then running into these issues :wallbash:

If you got this far, thanks for reading, I eagerly await your replies :)

Ok so i just sat inside, zipped everything up and within about a minute there was negative pressure inside the tent, walls being pulled in an all that so it seems like the little fan is doing its job :wassnnme:

So... since i answered my own question, i'll pose these.

[1]I had connected my 100mm ducting to my 150mm silverstar by the outside of the ducting, since the inner core would of course not fit. If i now reconnect it in the same fashion, i'll be going to about 4.5m of ducting that the fan is having to pull through instead of just the 1.3m-ish that is currently connected. How much difference does the length make, including that wide box that is the silverstar hood, to the extraction capabilities of the fan, and by proxy the filtration abilities of my Rhino?

[2]Since i'd then have to make sure to tighten up all the seals around the Silverstar, is there anything i'd be able to effectively do to ensure that i would have no leaks around the ducting holes as well? other than buying larger ducting?(which i will do in the future when i've got a little more cash. Spent just over £700 on all this kit, planning on growing fully organic. /tangent)

[3]Would it be madness to not have the inner tubing firmly connected? :) I assume yes, but grower's experience is of course valuable!

Failing those 3 points, i'll just remove the glass panel from the hood so that heat doesn't build up so much and cause any damage...

Thankyou :)

Edited by Jalapeno

Welcome to the site!

I'll have a go at giving you some help.

[1]I had connected my 100mm ducting to my 150mm silverstar by the outside of the ducting, since the inner core would of course not fit. If i now reconnect it in the same fashion, i'll be going to about 4.5m of ducting that the fan is having to pull through instead of just the 1.3m-ish that is currently connected. How much difference does the length make, including that wide box that is the silverstar hood, to the extraction capabilities of the fan, and by proxy the filtration abilities of my Rhino?

The fan is too small to use as primary extraction and for the air cooled shade.

You would be better buying a parabolic or using a second fan to air cool the shade which needs to be completely air tight along all duct connections.

[2]Since i'd then have to make sure to tighten up all the seals around the Silverstar, is there anything i'd be able to effectively do to ensure that i would have no leaks around the ducting holes as well? other than buying larger ducting?(which i will do in the future when i've got a little more cash. Spent just over £700 on all this kit, planning on growing fully organic. /tangent)

To ensure your ducting connections are airtight make sure to attach the inner core of the acoustic ducting as well as the outer core, silver backed tape and quality duct tape are the key.

[3]Would it be madness to not have the inner tubing firmly connected? :) I assume yes, but grower's experience is of course valuable!

Yes.

I'm very baked but fire away if I can help, I'll have a go.

:skin_up:

1 person likes this

you might get away with using a 4" fan in the winter when the outside temps are lower but come summer time, it'll be a different story.

for a 600w light, you will be better off getting at least a 5" fan & filter or if you have the cash, get a 6" fan & filter with a decent fan controller,

also, if you plan to grow continuously, you can use the 4" fan & filter in a smaller veg tent or cabinet & just use the bigger tent for flowering in.

1 person likes this

Thankyou both =D

I'll certainly take your info into account. Hoping i can get away with using this fan this time around, and by the time harvest comes i'll have more money for a bigger one in that case.

It's usually pretty cold here, it's chilly baltic in winter an top summer temps are often about 23 degrees. It's colder in my house than it is outside on those days. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but i'm also unsure of the heat output of a 600w light in those dimensions, and i hear that MH lights are hotter than HPS also. I'm somewhat surprised to hear that i may have heat issues, no doubt naively.

I should have stuck to my original damn plan! Was going to get a bigger fan and a cheaper shade. *sigh* what a dick. :russian:

Apart from all that, Just need to get some pots an some soil haha... i'll be able to test the temps when my contactor gets here as greens are currently out of stock.

hi bud, looks like yr fans a bit on the small side, if u have noise issues as well, look at the ksa box fans (avoid fleabay)

about £150, well worth it, those 600w chuck out a lot of heat, remember to balance yr filter to the fan, basic "fan controller"

useful to.

good luck with it

peace 'n luv

1 person likes this