Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BigHerb

BodyBuilding

526 posts in this topic

Well I got stuck in yesterday, feeling it today lol

Feeling great non the less, can't wait for the next workout tomorrow.

That hemp protein doesn't half taste fucking awful lol

I put a couple of scoops in my morning smoothie before the workout and it was bad enough,

then I had a couple scoops with milk post workout and I could just keep it down :yuck:

I have been looking for an organic whey protein that is not full for flavorings and frutouse etc...

but I am struggling to find one.

Any recommendations on a pure whey, and how to stop them tasting shite? :)

I mix Hemp Protein Powder with Ribena dilute juice and just add the water.

I think it taste's ok with that.

Well I got stuck in yesterday, feeling it today lol

Feeling great non the less, can't wait for the next workout tomorrow.

That hemp protein doesn't half taste fucking awful lol

I put a couple of scoops in my morning smoothie before the workout and it was bad enough,

then I had a couple scoops with milk post workout and I could just keep it down :yuck:

I have been looking for an organic whey protein that is not full for flavorings and frutouse etc...

but I am struggling to find one.

Any recommendations on a pure whey, and how to stop them tasting shite? :)

Nutrisport 90+ is pretty clean and very cheap...just whey concentrate, micellar casein (essential for night time nutrition) and cocoa powder. They may have added sweeteners recently, not sure, but I do know they never use aspartame.

Cheapest bucket I've found -

http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/nutrisport-90-protein-powder-5kg

Organic whey is out there but VERY expensive.

3 people like this

you've not ruined yourself have greenfloyd? :ouch:

i big into my training do a 4 day split, chest/biceps mon, back/traps/calfs tue,, sholders/triceps thur, thigh/hams fri , and relax all weekend :wassnnme:

currently 5ft8 and around 85kg :yep:

Edited by thc4free

you've not ruined yourself have greenfloyd? :ouch:

lol

Not had the chance mate :down:

Started last week as planned but came down with the the cold and chest infection so after reading it was best to rest from training if it's in your chest, so I have.

But still focused, itching to get going again. only stopped aching after 4 days lol felt a good ache though and it will get easier.

Managed 4 pull ups, then 3, 2, 1 then 1 so happy with that for first go.

I also did 5 x 5 shoulder presses, Dumbbell bent-over Row, dips and biceps curls.

I purchased some unflavoured whey protein from myprotein, adding it to the usual smoothie I have in the mornings and once started again I'll include another through the day.

Just been spending time reading up on the food side of things and ideas for cooking.

I eat healthy as it is, but need to gear it more towards protein and slow release carbs if I understand correctly.

HOws it going floyd? You a hulked out monster yet?

I've just started training again after a year long layoff because of illness. I'm now 10 stone and I'm hoping to get back to my normal weight of 11.5/12 (i'm a short arse) later this year, I'm hoping to put on at least a stone in the next 3 months and then I reckon gains will slow down a bit after that. For the first month I really want to get my strength back so its the big 3 lifts- bench, deadlift and squat along with chins, handstand presses (both adding weight as I go) along with a few other exercises that fit. Gonna sound myself out this week and put together a plan for next week and I'll stick it up.

It's a home workout so I'm trying to keep things simple. Simple exercises but also keeping the fannying around to a minimum. Without lots of equipment you can quickly end up spending time setting weights up and doing other stuff that is not working out and it just extends the workout, I want to be able to blast through the workout without moving plates from bars etc.. It's better doing an hour and under hard work than doing 2 hours but spending most of it not working.

Edited by solarchild

If anyone is keen on using hemp protein, get some cocoa powder too.

1 scoop of hemp.

A teaspoon of cocoa (or a couple of teaspoons of drinking chocolate).

250ml milk.

It's not a taste sensation, but it's WAY nicer than plain. HempNatural used to make a chocolate flavoured one too before they started making all their fancy fitness-specific ones. They might still make the strawberry flavoured one... I think it works out slightly less protein per scoop though, so more pence per gram for the flavoured ones.

Solarchild - for putting up your Squat and DL - look at Starting Strength or one of the other novice programs. FUCKLOADS of calories and loads of milk. Nothing will put your numbers up as fast.

E2A - a proper novice program will take no more than an hour of work INCLUDING warming up each lift from an empty bar and taking all the plates off again to change from one lift to the next... and you'll be FUCKED if you try to add in too many assistance exercises.

Edited by tengreenfingers

Cheers Ten. I've not tried the hemp stuff, I'll try some next I run out.

Nah, I'm not a novice. Just starting from scratch after a long layoff, so whilst I reckon I'll take it slow at first I'll be all guns blazing in a few weeks. I've had to do this a good number of times now- workout put on some good weight and strength and then have six or more months of doing sweet fa and losing it all again. The good thing is that when I start off again I get the benefit of muscle memory and newbie gains and my strength goes through the roof really quickly. This time I'm fit for good thank fuck (fingers crossed obv)

I reckon a good workout once I'm up and running will take me about 40 minutes. Tbh after that I start slacking anway, whether I'm fucked or not. I'm all for the intense workout- my brain isnt suited to anything longer. I enjoy it but get bored and sloppy after too long.

I'm not sure if I've quite communicated what I meant. Apologies if you already know the following.

"Novice" is an awkward word.

It doesn't mean piss-weak or new to strength training, it just means capable of using linear progression.

Use a novice program to get back up to speed even if you were formerly a hulk of a man and have had a year or so out.

That means you add weight to each lift, each time you do it and keep doing so until you simply can't recover quickly enough between sessions and then switch to an intermediate program.

Increase your squat weight by 5kg every time you do it (3x a week).

Increase your deadlift by the same (1x or 2x per week)

Increase your bench, press and whatever power lift you're doing by 2.5kg every time you do it (1x or 2x per week).

To be brutally honest, almost everybody in almost every gym in the western world is a novice. They may be big and strong but they are suffering from fuckarounditis and have taken years to get where they should have been in months. No point fucking around with supersetting, backoffs, light and heavy and all that until you can no longer simply lift more weight each day than you did a couple of days before.

Even if you've previously done a proper novice program, topped out and switched to intermediate you're probably as well starting back on a novice program now to get the most out of the start of your work. If you've had a year out you've got capacity for newbie gains again. Make the most of it. You might be on a novice program for a few weeks, you might be on it for a few months, but if you jump right to medium first you'll be progressing far slower than you could be.

2 people like this

I'm not sure if I've quite communicated what I meant. Apologies if you already know the following.

"Novice" is an awkward word.

It doesn't mean piss-weak or new to strength training, it just means capable of using linear progression.

Use a novice program to get back up to speed even if you were formerly a hulk of a man and have had a year or so out.

That means you add weight to each lift, each time you do it and keep doing so until you simply can't recover quickly enough between sessions and then switch to an intermediate program.

Yeah, taotally agree. Tbh I think most people can put on a shitoad of weight and strength doing a novice workout (yeah, I did misunderstand you) for quite a long time. It took me quite a while before I had to start tweaking my training because of a lack of gains. That was training as a rugby player rather than bodybuilding but the same applies. I think most people change workouts too soon and try to get too complicated too quickly, through want of change rather than any gains slowing down- which then has a negative effect rather than taking them to the next level

To be brutally honest, almost everybody in almost every gym in the western world is a novice. They may be big and strong but they are suffering from fuckarounditis and have taken years to get where they should have been in months. No point fucking around with supersetting, backoffs, light and heavy and all that until you can no longer simply lift more weight each day than you did a couple of days before.

totally agree

Even if you've previously done a proper novice program, topped out and switched to intermediate you're probably as well starting back on a novice program now to get the most out of the start of your work. If you've had a year out you've got capacity for newbie gains again. Make the most of it. You might be on a novice program for a few weeks, you might be on it for a few months, but if you jump right to medium first you'll be progressing far slower than you could be.

Yeah, I think the only reason I will be making changes as I go along will be more to do with the equipment I have and working around my illness related weaknesses rather than changing up for no reason. Which I admit can be really tempting when you first start training and youre full of enthusiasm, I've done it myself and kanckered myself before now.

Last time I was a gym rat there would be loads of people doing isolation exercises to train their brachialis or whatever after reading about it on a bodybuilding forum when they cant even manage to do a chin up.

Keep it simple, pick heavy shit up and eat a lot works for a long time.

1 person likes this

The thing that wrecks my head is skinny (and I mean, made out of toothpicks and knotted string) guys doing 3 or 4 variations of "chest day" exercises. Absofuckinglutely insane waste of time.

You look like you drink halves because pints are too heavy to lift and you're doing programs meant for intermediate and high level bodybuilders? Nutter!

It always amazes me how many people take advice from the guy with massive guns and chesticles even though he's got legs like a sparrow... meanwhile looking at the genuinely stacked people like they are insane for squatting more than once a fortnight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "genuinely stacked" category - but I do get some funny looks for chalking up (ball of climber's chalk in a bag) which makes me laugh when the funny-lookers are wearing branded, gel-palmed nancy-gloves while doing 5 variations of fucking preacher curls.

I'll post my new workout thingy, some might find it interesting. Its a really cheap and easy way of working out that I've come up with to suit my circumstances. About a week after I started training again I got a new job that has me working away from home all week. So I've had to come up with something I can do in a hotel room, rather than giving up. I used to do bodyweight exercises when I was in this postion but I'd always try to lift heavy stuff back home or in the gym. Now I'm not really gonna get the chance. When I was a bit crocked with fucked up joints I used resistance bands to workout with instead of weights as I found them easier on the joints. They are basically a strip of latex about 1.2m long. Wrap it round something and pull. For 6 of them- 2 light, 2 medium and 2 heavy was about a tenner from tkmax- but theys sell em all over the place. The heavy one is strong enough to do a one armed bicep curl with it under your feet and it feels heavy. To add weight you can double them up- so for a row i use all of them- sat down with the bands under my feet and row towards you. You can also grip them lower down to increase resistance. You can get some pretty heavy weight movements done with them.

Piece of piss to carry round with me in my travel bag and do a full body workout. You cant really do any of the big lifts like deadlift or squats- you can do them but not in the same way you would if you had a massive bar and a rack. Together with my extending chin-up bar that also comes along with me everywhere I do a 45 minute workout every night in my room. You can do stuff like bench presses with the chin bar halfway down a door frame and the bands wrapped round it.

Not perfect but a really, really cheap and easy way of working out. I'm putting on aabout 2-3 pounds a week at the moment

Edited by solarchild

Well I managed to put on a tidy load of mass over winter, unfortunately the fat came with it. Started cutting a month ago, almost immediately did my back in pretty badly doing deadlifts in a rush.

Only just back at the gym now, still not right so I have to be selective about what lifts I do and how long I can do cardio before the back starts going.

It has to be all about the diet then so I predict, sadly, that I'll lose a fair bit of muscle along with the flab :(

if any of you guys have injuries or problems its worth looking at mobility wod .com the guy is awesome

its free and you will definitely get more mobility ,and hopefully stay injury free