Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

My allotment

975 posts in this topic

Morning mate, I don`t mind how many pics you want to add, fill yer boots! :)

as for the courgette, I would move it next to the pumpkin and get them grow in opposite directions, they will trail across the garden. If you leave it there it will block out everything around it, they can get very big in the right place.

4 minutes ago, Magicmunchietree said:

You inspired me to do this!!

Well that`s very kind of you mate, thanks :magic: please feel free to post updates as to how you get on this season, btw, if you have any large containers you could get a few spuds and/or carrots on the go, they will be fine to go in now too.

atb :)

Just now, ratdog said:

Morning mate, I don`t mind how many pics you want to add, fill yer boots! :)

as for the courgette, I would move it next to the pumpkin and get them grow in opposite directions, they will trail across the garden. If you leave it there it will block out everything around it, they can get very big in the right place.

Well that`s very kind of you mate, thanks :magic: please feel free to post updates as to how you get on this season, btw, if you have any large containers you could get a few spuds and/or carrots on the go, they will be fine to go in now too.

atb :)

Cheers man, That is some food for thought, I will move the courgette today then. And I will, I aim to get the garden fully turfed soon so I can have a nice patch in the middle for sunbathing and BBQs, something I havent had for years. 

1 person likes this

I will take advantage of the next lot of cheap turf I see going so I can do the same, haven`t had a nice soft lawn to lie on in years.

Well fuck me it`s a warm on out there today :D

Just prepped an area for and planted 18 runner bean plants grown from seeds from last years crop so this lot is free bar a bit of compost. And I went to the ironmongers to get some twine and couldn`t resist getting a few strawberry plants, I put three in a recycling container with some fresh compost and FBB, they are 2 Elan and 1 Delizz. That and a good watering and it`s time to hang in the hammock :magic:

1 person likes this

One of my cauli`s wilted just after planting and I had to cull it, didn`t think much about it until today, was weeding and noticed one was wilting slightly, went for a walk with the dog and come back to find three down, checked the roots and guess what? fucking cabbage root fly, found maggots in the roots, I just hope the rest don`t succumb, the broccoli seem okay on the other side atm, and I have 6-7 back up cabbage plants to make the numbers back up as long as there isn`t a massacre :crybaby:

Well it seems the damage done by the cabbage root fly is limited, hopefully.

Just took a load of pics for an update to things and it`s really getting going now

Mixed brassica`s and sweet potatoes

large.5b1157db630a1_brassicasmixed.jpg

Group shot of bed two

large.5b1157e5f1ce0_vegpatch.jpg

First signs of toms

large.5b1157eac2a0f_firsttom.jpg

Broad beans nearly ready

large.5b1157f44f5c4_broadbeans.jpg

the rest

large.5b1157fa705aa_bball.jpg

Bolthardy beetrootlarge.beets.jpg

Close up of the calabrese, they have all been sprayed with Thuricide, a concentrate of bacillus thuringiensis that targets only the caterpillars and doesn`t harm anything else.

large.calabrese.jpg

carrots

large.carrots.jpg

corn and sweet peas waiting to go in

large_corn.jpg

Strawberries just starting to flower

large.strawberries.jpg

Runners racing up the sticks, they are in last years compost from the bin to the left, looks like they like it.

large.runners.jpg

Peas nearly ready, just hope the leaf miner doesn`t pay a visit too early

large_peas.jpg

Jazzy new potatoes, the write up says up to 80 tubers per plant lol we will see

large.jazzy.jpg

And my fav pic from this lot, some chive flowers for the busy bees

large.5b1157fd742e3_chiveflowers.jpg

7 people like this

Looking  good old pal. But Carrots in a tray ?

JOM

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, justonemore said:

But Carrots in a tray ?

Hello mate, they look like they are in a tray from that angle but it`s about 8" deep

Well this weather is amazing and every thing is romping along nicely, just had my third pick of bits, here`s my tea for tonight

large.5b228db4aa943_dinnertonight.jpg

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

Superb mate looks like some healthy grub for tonight's tea! Those chive flowers are good on a salad too, lovely oniony flavour :)

I think I've bought the wrong beans, mine got to about a foot tall and have started flowering.. yours look to be going mad up those sticks!

Do you reckon I'm too late to get some different beans started?

Edited by Openairbud
Question
1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Openairbud said:

Superb mate looks like some healthy grub for tonight's tea! Those chive flowers are good on a salad too, lovely oniony flavour :)

I think I've bought the wrong beans, mine got to about a foot tall and have started flowering.. yours look to be going mad up those sticks!

Do you reckon I'm too late to get some different beans started?

Hello bud, never tried the flowers before, always left them to the bees.

I just sowed some French beans, they will go for gold now, go for it, the gumf on the packets are only a very rough guide, especially if you are down south, even if you are more northerly you would only just be sowing and planting now.

:)

1 person likes this

Looks good in here mate.  Must be brilliant to just be able to go out and pick your own dinner from the garden.  

1 person likes this

On 6/14/2018 at 5:18 PM, ratdog said:

mine got to about a foot tall and have started flowering

most of the time it goes like that, they carry on growing so don`t worry. mine got to the top of the canes well before flowering this year, only just showing flower now tbh, but that`s the first time that`s ever happened to me

On 6/15/2018 at 11:13 AM, Eyes of redness said:

Looks good in here mate.  Must be brilliant to just be able to go out and pick your own dinner from the garden.  

Thanks mate, it is :)

1 person likes this

Well we are into July already now and this years weather has been epic although watering has been a difficult thing to keep up with, you can`t just water everything with the hose that isn`t in the ground, you need to mix up and feed, but it`s been ok, not working so much lately has helped. (I`ve been working about 1 day a week on average this summer and that`s enough in this heat :sweaty: )

Here`s a selection of pictures I just took

Runners are really taking off, they were grown in the compost from the container next to it from last years organic waste

large.runnerbeans.jpg

There looking slightly blurry in the back is a cucumber a friend gave me, I`ve had terrible trouble getting the buggers to grow without wilting this year, I also have one on the windowsill in the living room so hopefully I`ll get something this year.

large.cucumber.jpg

Decided to grow cornflowers again this year, with the obligatory fucking blackly that`s been on everything this year 

large.cornflower.jpg

Last of the remaining calabrese

large.calabrese.jpg

Wild foxglove from the flower garden

large.5b3a1f7f7582d_wildfoxglove.jpg

Unknown plant in the garden :wassnnme:large.5b3a1f7dd8977_unknownplantingarden.jpg

This trailing flower has put on a terrific show this year, smells like bubblegum wafting around

large.5b3a1f7d4102a_trailingflowerthatsmellsofbubblegum.jpg

Some sweetcorn and a tray of peas and french beans just sprouting in the top corner

large.5b3a1f7cb1838_sweetcornpatch3.jpg

more sweetcorn

large.5b3a1f7c18200_sweetcornpatch2.jpg

even more sweetcorn lollarge.5b3a1f7b632ac_sweetcornpatch1.jpg

some sweet peppers

large.5b3a1f7aad1ca_sweetpepper.jpglarge.5b3a1f7a2ac33_sweetpepper3.jpglarge.5b3a1f779734b_sewwtpepper2.jpg

Some super hots just turning redlarge.5b3a1f78df327_superhotchilli.jpg

the host plant

large.5b3a1f798a814_superhotplant.jpg

One of several sunflowers here this year

large.5b3a1f7854f77_sunflowerinaction.jpg

second batch of calabrese where the broad beans were

large.5b3a1f7713232_secondbatchofcalabrese.jpg

Some Rome toms

large.5b3a1f75a7b67_romatoms2.jpglarge.5b3a1f751a373_romatoms1.jpg

More wild foxglove

large.5b3a1f749a446_morewildfoxglove.jpg

A carrot floating in the pond among some canna

large.5b3a1f7420ac5_largecarrotfloatinginpond.jpg

The brassica bed coming on great now

large.5b3a1f71b46cb_brassicsandsweetpotatoes.jpg

Beetroot bed getting rather big, along side new curly lettuce

large.5b3a1f7117cc1_beetsandlettuce.jpg

And lastly, more beetroot in where the spuds were

large.5b3a1f7067bc0_beetrootfollwingpotatoes.jpg

My only challenge this year is to keep production up when something finishes, going well so far, still have more peas and french beans to go in and also some squash plants coming on, and the brassica bed should keep producing all year and into early feb perhaps.

8 people like this

Whoa great stuff here, glad to have found this thread. You have a wonderful growing space. Growing outdoors is the dream. For now I'll stick with green indoors and veg and flowers out! I love my Allotment!

1 person likes this