Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

My allotment

1,014 posts in this topic

@Captain Bonglington  Hello mate, I don`t have the space to keep such large quantities sadly, but I am happy with just digging in manure for now. But thanks any way :)

@Percygrower_420 Hello mate, last year was a drought year here and weeds were manic, my crops were poor as well. hopefully  this year will be better. Just planted Marfona spuds outdoor today. Trying to avoid the frosts.

good luck everyone.

got broad beans, beets, garlic,onions, gooseberries,strawberries and potatoes growing well atm.. got a fig tree which is going to be nice when they fruit never had a proper fresh one looking forward 2 it, anyone got any recipes/ideas for the beets, goin to pickle some ofc but thinkin what else to do

1 person likes this

My favourite way is roasting them,  after eating them this way I feel pickling is a waste.

1 person likes this

I'll give that a try then ratdog

1 person likes this

I like to roast them too, then serve with goats cheese on some toasted ciabatta. beetroot and sweetcorn are my most successful garden harvests, everything else is a bit hit or miss for me. This year I'm trying onions (rubbish last year) garlic and butternut squash. 

1 person likes this

Well, after a couple of tough years mentally and weather wise, droughts imparticular, and pests like rats, I`ve decided after nearly 5 years to give up the plot and convert a part of my garden at home to a plot, it will be much easier to manage, and I have running water!

Here`s a little pick of a few things I managed to get going this year, this is the last of the peas, potatoes and broadbeans, probably about a 1/4 of the whole amount grown. Rat`s were a real pain, but the onions have done amazing in the polytunnel this year.

large.594bcbee20445_vegfromtheplot.jpg

14 people like this

it's must be national @ratdog day mate! lol 

Great effort on the veg looks tasty,I was raised on my Grandads allotment that gave a staggering amount of produce.

He was lucky in that the allotment was literally a 30 seconds walk away.

It'll be good growing in your own yard once you have it up and running nicely.

Edited by Badbadger

Thanks Badger, not sure what you mean about the national day though? lol

I`ve got a load of stuff already growing at home, sweetcorn, runners, beets, courgettes, sprouts, kale x 2, spinach, sweet potatoes and leeks. and sweet chillies, hot ones, and cucumbers!

Can`t wait to finish the project, got the wall built, now I need hardcore and topsoil, had offers but it requires picking up and that`s a major labour issue so will be buying in is expect.

Edited by ratdog

Ooh sounds good! So far I've only harvested a few beets this year. I'm having a go at pickling them. 

I like this thread. It's quite inspiring 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Kiminal said:

I like this thread. It's quite inspiring 

I`ll continue it with the new plot when it`s ready :)

Edited by ratdog
2 people like this

Getting closer to finishing the plot at home, so I thought I`d post some half finished pics for posterity. And some pics of my veg gardens at home.

Here`s the wall, needs rendering. I`ve back filled with 1.5 tonnes of scalpings and 3 tonnes of topsoil so far, 4 more dumpy bags on order. To give you and idea of size, it`s 16 metres long and 4+ metres wide.

large_wall.jpg

sweetcorn `lark`

large.sweetcorn.jpg

leeks `Musselburgh`

large.leeks.jpg

yellow courgettes `Atena Polka F1`large.courgettes.jpg

Purple Sprouts and unknown kale

large.59539112a2ea9_kaleandpurplesprouts.jpg

Nero Italian kale

large.595391113c35d_lacinatokale.jpg

Sweet potato unknown

large.5953910de55f8_moresweetpotato.jpg

Runner beans `painted lady`

large.5953910b28d0c_runnersandbeetschives.jpg

more sweet potato

large.59539107e3513_sweetpotato.jpg

group shot

large.595390f7ac797_groupshot.jpg

13 people like this

Fairplay looks spot on ratdog, really need to get started on something similar myself.

2 people like this

Well, after a couple of days hard at it, the new plot is really taking shape. Still some more fencing to put up, hopefully tomorrow along with the little poly tunnel

large.596e3d33bb588_newplot.jpglarge.fence.jpg

11 people like this

@ratdog, tidy job man. :yep:

Nice bit of fencing that is. 

That's a shitload of scalpings and soil gone in, bet you've seen enough of the wheelbarrow for now.....:rofl:

It's amazing how far a ton of topsoil doesn't go, I made some raised beds out of old tree crates, I underestimated the amount needed by a long way.

They're great for growing in, but I need to up my slug defences next year, once the bastards get in to the bed they'll decimate it overnight.

I'm harvesting a few spring onions and new potatoes at the moment though, makes a lovely spud salad! 

Your garden's looking great dude. Shame you gave up your allotment, I can see how it's a lot of work though, great if you're retired, but I know from working in large veg gardens in the past, its almost a full time job. :yes:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
1 person likes this

Thanks @Captain Bonglington, I`m still very chuffed with the fence. I didn`t use the wheelbarrow, I had to empty stationary dumpy bags, I was hoping the slit the bags on the crane but it wasn`t to be, so no, I don`t want to be doing that again any time soon, especially during the heatwave we had at the time lol

the tunnel is doing well in this stormy weather we had this week, and I`ve built a nice bench today to work on and raise plants into the light on the fence side.

I`m glad to be away from the allotment now, it was becoming such a chore and it was perfect timing, I reckon after the growing season is over and a bit of landscaping/planning I`ll be able to get plenty of veg from this size plot, not to mention being able to water till my hearts content and weed as and when I want to.

and no, a bag of topsoil goes nowhere lol

3 people like this