Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drops boms

General Hydroponics (GHE)

28 posts in this topic

Hi all

I use GHE 3 part nutes flora series with good results. But their range does not include a pk 13/14 booster type which peeps on here mention quite often so it got me a thinking :smokin:

Because its in 3 parts its more flexible than some other brands so....

Apart from the usual recipes used i.e. normal 1-2-3 3-2-1, epsom salts or lucas formula do any1 on here do things diferantly i.e mixing things up slightly to say make a pk boost as as far as I can see/read the plant takes up difering amounts/combinations of nutes almost on a weekly basis.

So if any1 has any brain waves good ideas or actually does it diferant and they want to share i'd love to hear em.

Thanx in advance

....Drops

P.S. No flamin or pulling peoples pants down as I get enough grief of the wife :argue:

bumpety bump

can these nutes be used with coco?

i´m using GHE but i´m trying just micro and bloom at a ratio of 1:2 all the way from seed to death.

So far so good, i´m hand feeding in coco but haven´t done a whole grow start to finish yet so am a little reticent to reccomend as yet

Flick

The "Useless Formula" has been around for quite a while.

But

I personally like the 3:2:1 , 2:2:2 (1:1:1) formula for veg and Lucas and cal mag for flower

I see no need and have no desire to use pk boosts

K.I.S.S

keep it simple stoner

OK, I figured I would post this here, since some folks are asking about the GH 3 part.

This is my feed schedule -

Here is the nutrient regimen I use and how I control PH with little or no ph up or down...

So OK - feeding schedule week by week. This is the GH weekly feeding program, slightly tweaked. I will only call out the volume of each part per gallon of water in the following manner: grow, micro, bloom, ppm range. Example - 5-2.5-2.5-400/800 would mean 5 ml grow, 2.5 ml micro, 2.5 ml bloom and a ppm of 400-880. Remember it's per gallon. You Euro's can easily convert to liters. 4 liters is just a little bit over 1 gallon. It should also be noted that I use the hardwater micro due to my tapwater. I suggest using the hardwater micro in place of the regular micro if your tap water is over 200 ppm total or you have over 70 ppm Ca. RO water users should use the regular micro.

Veg -

week 1, 5-2.5-2.5-400/600

week 2, 10-5-3- 600/800

week 3, 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom

week 1, 6-6-10- 800/1200

week 2, 3-7-12 - 1000/1400

week 3, 3-8-14 - 1000/1400

week 4, 3-8-16 - 1000/1400

week 5, (discussed in detail below*)

week 6, 0-7-20 - 1000/1400

week 7, 0-6-20 (see bleow**)

* During week 5, if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.

**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing. I should note that if I use ferts for a few days in week 7, I take the lants over the 8 week mark. Personally I flush for a min of 14 days. But 10 is bare minimum imo/ime.

The ppms work out almost exactly. I tend to lean toward the lower side of the range, unless I have a really heavy feeder that I know can handle it.

At every ressy change out I add in 5 drops per gallon of 35% food grade H2O2. During flush use ph adjusted water at 5.5-6.0

I will add epsom salt at week 1 of bloom if the plants are heavy feeders AND I see signs of an Mg def. Otherwise I won't use it. The only time I have ever had Mg def is during transition. The GH 3 part is a little low on Mg, but the PBP and Canna nutes are way lower.

Now- how to control your PH...

There are a couple factors that cause your PH to drift. The most common is running the nute solution too strong or too weak. If it's too strong, your PH drops. If it's too weak the PH rises. You have to find the balance point. If you find that the formula above is say, a little strong, and say you have a 20 gallon ressy, mix the nutes for 18 gallons. If it's a little weak, mix it for 22 gallons. You follow?

The other common mistake is mixing your nutrient solution and trying to adjust the PH right away. You have to allow time for the ph buffers in the nutrient solution to do their job. Mix the nutes up, and bubble or circulate for 12 hours before even looking at your PH. You will find the PH to be almost right on target.

I use little or no ph adjusters. (Except during flush). I use tap water, with a starting PPM of 300-400 and a starting PH of 7.4-9.0 (Thats crazy you say! The water is too hard, you will never get stable PH and you will have too much Ca, causing a lockout of Mg!) Bollocks I say.

Every week, on Friday I drain the ressy and fill with plain water. I let that run overnight giving the plants a little flush. This also allows the chlorine and ammonia to evap. On Saturday morning, I mix the nutes into the ressy. I DO NOT adjust ph at this time. Let that run as is overnight. On Sunday morning, I check ph and adjust if needed. Usually don't have to.

Doing things this way has saved me from constant PH drifts, and using about 150 ml of ph down every ressy change, and a little here and there throughout the week to keep it in the desired range. Now, the most I ever have to use is about 30 ml.if any at all. (I have a 35 gallon ressy btw) My Ph stays at a constant 5.5-5.8.

If you are still having PH issues using the above method, an alternative is to PH adjust the plain water to 5.5 BEFORE you add nutes.

Well, that's how I do it. Bring on any questions, happy to answer them for you.

Cheers and good growing to everyone.

Edited by huck
5 people like this

The "Useless Formula" has been around for quite a while.

But

I personally like the 3:2:1 , 2:2:2 (1:1:1) formula for veg and Lucas and cal mag for flower

I see no need and have no desire to use pk boosts

K.I.S.S

keep it simple stoner

Nice post huck :yep:

KISS lol nice

good info, i'm coming back later to digest this :guitar:

Edited by roundsquare

click this K.I.S.S for more Lucas and coco info

Edited by huck
1 person likes this

Thanx Huck

You are smashing it lad

All The Best

....Drops :yinyang:

i use general hydro 3 part. ive tried the lucas formula but thought it was far too strong, im a believer in less is more when it comes to bydro nutes. ive also tried the ratio flickthebean mentioned 1:2 with micro and bloom, it worked nicely but i dont use it any more. i now use the recipe recommended by general hydro 3.2.1. for veg and 1.2.3. for flowering, i also add a little pk 13/14 at 4 weeks into flowering although the pk booster isnt neccesary with general hydro 3 part as its possible to tweak the ratios of the 3 part so the p and k levels are increased which acts the same as adding a pk booster. i dont fancy getting a calculator out to work out the desired ratios so i just stick to the 1.2.3 recipe and add an additional pk booster.

i dont let my ec get higher than 1.4. also i avoid ripen, i dont see the point in adding more nutes to remove nutes so i flush with plain water nothing else, ive never heard anything good about ripen :stoned:

Edited by the_shogun
1 person likes this

I do not understand your statement, as Lucas is a 1:2 ratio................

Being a ratio formula also means that you adjust the strength simply by adding more or using less h2o

I also do not understand what you mean about adding nutes to remove nute when using Ripen, maybe you could clarify this for me.........?

ive tried the lucas formula but thought it was far too strong, im a believer in less is more when it comes to bydro nutes. ive also tried the ratio flickthebean mentioned 1:2 with micro and bloom, it worked nicely but i dont use it any more. i now use the recipe recommended by general hydro 3.2.1. for veg and 1.2.3. for flowering, i also add a little pk 13/14 at 4 weeks into flowering although the pk booster isnt neccesary with general hydro 3 part as its possible to tweak the ratios of the 3 part so the p and k levels are increased which acts the same as adding a pk booster. i dont fancy getting a calculator out to work out the desired ratios so i just stick to the 1.2.3 recipe and add an additional pk booster.

i dont let my ec get higher than 1.4. also i avoid ripen, i dont see the point in adding more nutes to remove nutes so i flush with plain water nothing else, ive never heard anything good about ripen :stoned:

I do not understand your statement, as Lucas is a 1:2 ratio................

Being a ratio formula also means that you adjust the strength simply by adding more or using less h2o

I also do not understand what you mean about adding nutes to remove nute when using Ripen, maybe you could clarify this for me.........?

ive tried the lucas formula but thought it was far too strong, im a believer in less is more when it comes to bydro nutes. ive also tried the ratio flickthebean mentioned 1:2 with micro and bloom, it worked nicely but i dont use it any more. i now use the recipe recommended by general hydro 3.2.1. for veg and 1.2.3. for flowering, i also add a little pk 13/14 at 4 weeks into flowering although the pk booster isnt neccesary with general hydro 3 part as its possible to tweak the ratios of the 3 part so the p and k levels are increased which acts the same as adding a pk booster. i dont fancy getting a calculator out to work out the desired ratios so i just stick to the 1.2.3 recipe and add an additional pk booster.

lucas formula is a ratio of 0-8-16, thats an exact amount of nutes per litre of water, therefore if you add extra water or use less water its not technicaly the lucas formula you are using.

ripen is recommended for flushing out your plants. it has nutrients in it so when you add it to your water you are adding nutes when you want to be removing the excess ones, imo plain water does that perfectly well with out additional additives :stoned:

dude a ratio of 8:16 is a ratio of !:2 and is therefore the Lucas formula

Ripen is Ripen not a flushing agent/compound

Edited by huck

dude a ratio of 8:16 is a ratio of !:2 and is therefore the Lucas formula

Ripen is Ripen not a flushing agent/compound

i understand that 8:16 is the same as 1:2 but when you factor in 'per gallon' it makes the ratio more specific. the lucas formula ratio is 0.8.16 per gallon of water, any additional water or any less water and your not using that ratio therefore you are not using the lucas formula :stoned:

ripen is used by a lot of growers instead of flushing with water

Edited by the_shogun

The Lucas formula is a ratio of 1:2 regardless of how much or little h20 is used

Ripen is a "forcing solution" and not designed in any way shape or form to be used as a flushing solution

Ripen is a comprehensive plant nutrient used during the late flowering stage of the plant. It is specifically designed to speed up and enhance the ripening process, while increasing the content in active principles of medicinal, aromatic and culinary plants.

Edited by huck

Lucas Formula for seedlings/cuttings

For young plants (< 4 weeks old) or cuttings, which may not be able to handle a full strength feeding formula, may require that you dilute the nutrient solution before feeding. This is OK, just make sure you keep the correct ratio when mixing. For example, 50% strength would be 4ml Micro and 8ml Bloom, or 3.5g of dry Maxibloom per gallon.