Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arnold Layne

Any Carnivores

69 posts in this topic

I'm currently an omnivore, but am pondering an end to buying commercial meat in favour of buying a gun with which to shoot my dinners. Mrs L is just about veggie and wouldn't skip a beat. But I fancy a bit of wild meat, rabbit, hare, pigeon and <ahem> the odd peasant. I don't eat much meat, about two meals a week are based around it here. Anyone already doing this? Any full Carnivores about this place? Any of you shoot your meat, or is it all slaughtered commercially?

My reasons? Mainly conscience. For decades I have been actively monitoring UK slaughterhouse practice. Its has deteriorated a long, long way over 40 years and has now reached the point where I cannot buy the produce with clear conscience.

Commercial meat = cruel meat, 99% of the time. Very few humane slaughter house practices left IMO. The speed and scale of the operation, and the low profit margins, guarantee the cruelty, as do the poor work conditions and low paid workforce.

If I manage a switch to wild meat, it should also stop me abusing veggies so much, which they will be pleased about, I'm sure ;):wassnnme:

7 people like this

I know a couple of people who shoot for the table, one on a daily basis, i like the idea but have never fired a gun let alone hit the target, i fear i would go hungry if i had to. Also i`m not sure how i would go about getting permission to go hunting around here, i live on the edge of a town on the Somerset/Devon border so having somewhere where the right animals are to shoot isn`t a problem but the fact there are a lot of organised shooting set ups here (pheasant/partridge) i`d not want to stray somewhere i shouldn`t if you know what i mean

I shoot some of my meat and have done since I was a boy.

I think it tastes that little sweeter when you have hunted it yourself plus you can see what sort of condition it was in whilst alive.

I have to admit I don't do it for moral reasons though, its really a sport to me.

If you need any advice about shooting/hunting in general let me know and i will see if I can help.

I forgot to add, definitely get permission!

Being arrested at gunpoint for armed trespass and poaching isn't funny!

3 people like this

would love to do the same arnold was raised on wild meat used to go shooting and ferreting with the old man when I was a wee boy and loved it. feeling tempted to get into it myself.

go for it man ye will love it :yep:

Something I have given thought to over the years, but living in the city I would find it a little difficult.

Though there are organised shoots relatively locally, Pheasant, Rabbit and Hare being the main quarry I think, I don't have my own transport and don't fancy jumping on a bus with a rifle/shottie slung over my shoulder! lol

But, I do think at some point in the future I would like to get licensed and go and shoot for the pot.

Am not into it in any sporting sense, but I do agree with your points about commercial slaughter practices, and eat considerably less meat as a result, I do try and be as responsible as possible when I buy my meat, which basically means I only really eat free range chicken and fish on a regular basis now.

I do know a good butcher relatively locally, he does get some good stuff in every so often... locally shot pheasant, pigeon, rabbit etc... lovely!

Edited by audioaddict

I don't have my own transport and don't fancy jumping on a bus with a rifle/shottie slung over my shoulder! lol

Why not, that's what I do!

Just remember to seal your dead things in a ziplock for the return journey as a rucksack dripping blood draws funny looks...

Also if you are thinking of getting a firearm the police have to come and inspect your property prior and can do so without notice if you are granted a license/certificate. Just something to bear in mind if you blaze indoors...

1 person likes this

Yeah, I also did this when much younger; nowt like a days shooting when you come home and hang up enough grub for a week or more. At the mo, its just an idea; I could probably get places to shoot; knowing a few local farmers helps, and they always like you to shoot off pigeons and other "vermin". Pheasants, well that's more <ahem> accidental, like ;)

Air rifles don't half cost these days, though! Yikes! :( Gonna have to save if I want to go down this route; a decent gun is essential.

Wait til ya see the cost of decent pellets....

E2a what type of air rifle are you thinking of getting?

I mainly use a pcp for hunting as its easy to shoot (no recoil or noise) but are more expensive to buy and run (needs a supply of clean and dry air to run)

I do still have a couple of spring guns that I mainly use for ratting/plinking tho.

Edited by djembryo

I don't have my own transport and don't fancy jumping on a bus with a rifle/shottie slung over my shoulder! lol

Why not, that's what I do!

Just remember to seal your dead things in a ziplock for the return journey as a rucksack dripping blood draws funny looks...

Also if you are thinking of getting a firearm the police have to come and inspect your property prior and can do so without notice if you are granted a license/certificate. Just something to bear in mind if you blaze indoors...

haha, a gun slung over your shoulder and blood dripping from your backpack, definitely a look to avoid round our way! lol

I didn't realise it was not so taboo to walk/use public transport... something that just seems dodgy to me!

Plus, I reckon sticking to air rifles would be best as long as I grow indoor, otherwise I'd be shooting meself in the foot! harhar.

Arn with you being nearly coastal you not considered sea fishing for your protein

1 person likes this

Where do I start Arya,

I can't seem to meditate the carnivor out of me. There I said it !

I've seen you mention the farm shop a lot, may I ask why your lack of enthusiasm now ? I was under the impression that slaughter was done mobile and to a higher standard of life and death and regulated better than mass abbatoirs ? Or is that my farm shop/something I made up to justify my flesh consumtion ?

Can you kill to eat quarry with an air rifle ? I heard otherwise but this was from a guy who said male cannaplants were legal so I figure 'pinch of salt'-advice there and won't object to clarification :D

Good luck brother :lucky:

1 person likes this

Always liked a rabbit for the pot,my lurcher provides this on our walks out.

i always loved shooting and guns -still do.

As far as permission goes i once tried for months asking local farmers and only got one farm,so its hard if you dont move in there circles.

i also poach a few rabbits but i still respect where i am such as closing gates etc.

I am well known on here for my love of wildlife and dont think i am a hypocrite for killing a rabbit for tea.

3 people like this

@blacksheep

As long as you take the pellet out, yeah its fine....

Been doing it for nearly 20yrs!

In fact I've got a recipe for squirrel burgers that I'm hoping to try this year...

So your gonna stop buying commercial meat cos of ya 'consience' but ya got no qualms about shooting animals for the table?

Hmmmmmm.... Don't make much sense to me, why is one cruel and t'other not then?

If it was to do with 'consience' ya would stop eating meat surely?

Or am i missing summat here? :unsure:

Edited by HazyDaze
1 person likes this