Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
worzel

Naphtha, is it n-Hexane?

31 posts in this topic

Someone I know is going to need to make the Rick Simpson oil 'cure' in the near future and I am after some confirmation of what they should use as the solvent. I have searched through the forums and I can see various things being mentioned as potential solvents, but as someone quite new to chemicals (buying them) I need some assistance due to the many different names which these can be known as.

Is this n-Hexane the same as Rick's Naphtha?

n-Hexane Supplier

Your help is much appreciated

W

Edited by worzel

Get yourself some IsoPropyl Alcohol from eBay, Rick mentions this towards the end of one of his videos I think...

Get yourself some IsoPropyl Alcohol from eBay, Rick mentions this towards the end of one of his videos I think...

Thanks - I have looked into IPA as well but I would like to find the UK equivalent to Naphtha and that will enable a price comparison of the two. If IPA is the chosen solvent it wouldn't come off an auction site as there is no quality control in place. In order to do this as correctly/safely as possible the risks of misinterpretation of the chemicals etc. would need to be minimalised.

At the website I posted earlier, Hexane is fractionally cheaper than IPA (at 25L).

What do you mean quality control? The companies selling them are registered bio fuel companies?? The Iso they sell is 99.9% pure and at just over £65 for 25litres delivered pretty damn cheap!

2 people like this

What do you mean quality control? The companies selling them are registered bio fuel companies?? The Iso they sell is 99.9% pure and at just over £65 for 25litres delivered pretty damn cheap!

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks I'll look into this.

I would still like to know about Hexane, if anyone can help?

I use Ethanol, 95% grain alchohol to make the Remedy or PTO, RSHO, Cannabis oil.

:yinyang:

Edit2+

Ethanol has widespread use as a solvent of substances intended for human contact or consumption, including scents, flavorings, colorings, and medicines.

Fractional distillation can concentrate ethanol to 95.6% by volume (89.5 mole%). This mixture is an azeotrope with a boiling point of 78.1 °C, and cannot be further purified by distillation.

wikiP

Edited by stonedcold
1 person likes this

I have been using thispost-12930-0-56884700-1335257703_thumb.jpgit will leave a residue after the alcohol has evaporated this can be removed will do a thread on my experiments so far making rso oil

this is my resultpost-12930-0-73761300-1335257756_thumb.jpg :guitar:

2 people like this

Iky I would not use that type of Ethanol because it is Denatured with a benzene product to make it unfit for human ingestion.

Take a look at this PDF

Most industrial ethanol is denatured to prevent its use as a beverage. Denatured ethanol contains small amounts,

1 or 2 percent each, of several different unpleasant or poisonous substances. The removal of all these substances

would involve a series of treatments more expensive than the federal excise tax on alcoholic beverages (currently

about $20 per gallon). These denaturants render ethanol unfit for some industrial uses. In such industries undenatured

ethanol is used under close federal supervision.

Edited by stonedcold
5 people like this

Hope this helps? It tells you all about the polarities of solvent's & alcohol.

My link

Love n' Light pT :yinyang:

Edited by passintime
2 people like this

Iky I would not use that type of Ethanol because it is Denatured with a benzene product to make it unfit for human ingestion.

Take a look at this PDF

Most industrial ethanol is denatured to prevent its use as a beverage. Denatured ethanol contains small amounts,

1 or 2 percent each, of several different unpleasant or poisonous substances. The removal of all these substances

would involve a series of treatments more expensive than the federal excise tax on alcoholic beverages (currently

about $20 per gallon). These denaturants render ethanol unfit for some industrial uses. In such industries undenatured

ethanol is used under close federal supervision.

I know what you are saying as I take this out after the alcohol has evaporated

here is a shot of the impurities before removal,post-12930-0-26720100-1335263685_thumb.jpg I then wash it with fresh water to take out any water solubles

just like to add it looks like a lot of residue .this is because this extraction was with wet bud

when using dry material it is less

Edited by iky

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks I'll look into this.

I would still like to know about Hexane, if anyone can help?

Light Naptha is typically a mixture of Pentane and Hexane. We both extract with HPLC grade Hexane and use it for alchemy. It works very well, but is harder to purge than butane.

1 person likes this

This is what I use as a cleaning solution.

Suppose to work very well for extraction.

The 0.01% residue may be removed with water which has already been said.

Hope you get what you need.

post-70947-0-46947400-1335271816_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

However, that 0.1% impurity could still be toxic. Evaporation of the solvent may leave a concentrated amount of the impurities behind. Is it not better to find a source that is listed for use in items that will be consumed?

1 person likes this

However, that 0.1% impurity could still be toxic. Evaporation of the solvent may leave a concentrated amount of the impurities behind. Is it not better to find a source that is listed for use in items that will be consumed?

Its actually water...

1 person likes this