Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-=DrGreenThumb=-

Aquaponic Fish in UK?

I know you can't "name names" but where can I buy live "baby" cod in the uk? Like what "words" should I be searching for, "fisheries"? "fishfarm"? I can't seem to come up with anything?

Thanks in advance.

:yinyang:

mate cod are saltwater can saltwater be used for aquaponics

4 people like this

jimboos right mate

they use tilapia in warm climates, do they not like the cold?

roach and rudd would work in uk

or goldfish and carp

roach grow quite quick i think, but not sure you can eat them...

i would have a taste tho :0

1 person likes this

I've watched a few of the Murray Hallam DVDs and have done some readng, I would like to experiment with aquaponics one day.

Copied this from another site regarding fish:

The Ideal Fish

Although there is no "perfect" fish for Aquaponics, the following are desirable biological and economic attributes when selecting the best fish.

The fish species should:

1. be capable of reproducing in captivity

2. produce numerous and hardy eggs and young

3. have well-known culture requirements

4. be adaptable to many types of culture systems

5. be adaptable to multi-species farming (polyculture)

6. exhibit rapid growth to a large maximum size

7. readily adapt to artificial feeds

8. be tolerant of crowding and high density conditions;

9. exhibit high survival (low mortality) rates

10. be easy to handle, harvest, and transport

11. be resistant to disease and parasite infestations

12. not be cannibalistic or territorial

13. be readily available as eggs, and fingerlings

14. have a high market demand

15. exhibit high feed conversion rates

16. have good dress-out weight values

17. have a long shelf life

18. be easy to process

19. have a healthy appearance and color

20. have good eating qualities

= Tilapia!

Edited by Otherwise L.A.C.
1 person likes this

I've watched a few of the Murray Hallam DVDs and have done some readng, I would like to experiment with aquaponics one day.

Copied this from another site regarding fish:

The Ideal Fish

Although there is no "perfect" fish for Aquaponics, the following are desirable biological and economic attributes when selecting the best fish. 

The fish species should:

1. be capable of reproducing in captivity

2. produce numerous and hardy eggs and young

3. have well-known culture requirements

4. be adaptable to many types of culture systems

5. be adaptable to multi-species farming (polyculture)

6. exhibit rapid growth to a large maximum size

7. readily adapt to artificial feeds

8. be tolerant of crowding and high density conditions;

9. exhibit high survival (low mortality) rates

10. be easy to handle, harvest, and transport

11. be resistant to disease and parasite infestations

12. not be cannibalistic or territorial

13. be readily available as eggs, and fingerlings

14. have a high market demand

15. exhibit high feed conversion rates

16. have good dress-out weight values

17. have a long shelf life

18. be easy to process

19. have a healthy appearance and color

=   Tilapia!

Would guppies be a good choice? A small fish but fits into every point made more or less..

Trout(rainbow and brown) are the best bet in the uk, plenty of trout farms up and down the country will sell you fingerlings right upto plate sized fish.

3 people like this

Don't folk just use normal koi carp garden pond fish? :unsure:

Well I've bought my IBC Tank now, just have to pick it up. I'll have to look into Pump and other stuff, hopefully find something cheap. Anyone recommend one for an IBC style system?

mate cod are saltwater can saltwater be used for aquaponics

DOH!! :doh: I was on medication when I posted the thread up, thats my excuse anyway!! lol

jimboos right mate

they use tilapia in warm climates, do they not like the cold?

roach and rudd would work in uk

or goldfish and carp

roach grow quite quick i think, but not sure you can eat them...

i would have a taste tho :0

I'm looking for edible fish, make it more worth my while raising them. Double the rewards.

=   Tilapia!

How warm will the tank have to be to use this fish and can I get them in the UK? Online? North East?

Trout(rainbow and brown) are the best bet in the uk, plenty of trout farms up and down the country will sell you fingerlings right upto plate sized fish.

I think it could well eb trout then, like you say, lots of trout farms around the place. Will have to get in touch with them, maybe even ask there advice. Do you know if they grow well in confined spaces?

Don't folk just use normal koi carp garden pond fish? :unsure:

I was something I can eat mate, not something to just look at or feed the plants. I want to be able to have a bit of fresh fish as well at some point.

If our familiar with the torrent sites, I'm pretty sure Murray Hallams DIY aquaponics DVD is on there (or buy it if u can find it). But takes you step by step making a DIY aquaponics setup, it's handy as he recommends pumps, fish to bed ratios etc.

I was looking into it for when I get my small holding, but now am moving to central Portugal where it's trout and carp galore, so may not bother..or just set up a DIY one with solar powered pump for fun.las it does look great fun.

I think perch is another good fish for uk. I couldn't use tilapia in Portugal either as I believe it's on their invasive species list.

I was something I can eat mate, not something to just look at or feed the plants. I want to be able to have a bit of fresh fish as well at some point.

Have you looked into fresh water bass?I know you can keep them in aquarium's and they are edible fish,as they are very popular to catch and eat from the locals here in the canaries.They catch them in the reservoirs in the mountains where there is also many carp..

Edited by redtilidie

= Tilapia!

Tilapia taste foul,like mud,their only redeeming feature as a table fish is they are fast growing :unsure: Wasnt a renown breeder of cannabis seeds going to write a book on "Guppyponics"?There was a high times article regarding it,I think he used Cichlids and Guppies using the tank run-off to fertilise his ladies,dont know if he ever brought out the book??A quick google reveals my memory isnt as bad as I thought it was :guitar:

http://hightimes.com/grow/agrossman/479

I’ve started up a small Aquaponics business here in the UK and can supply Tilapia fry just go to Ebay and search for live Tilapia.

My 2 cents on this subject is, "Quote" these fish can live in the worst of conditions, but I don't think the chap had in mind your grow tank when he quoted that.

Major factors are water temperature must be in the mid 80’s for optimum growing conditions all season and PH between 6.8 – 7.5

The plants you are growing need a PH of 5.5 for seedlings and cuttings and then 5.8 for veg/flower

This fish thrive in alkaline water the opposite to what your plants thrive on

Better off choosing another species!

I hope that helps

As for the quote Tilapia taste foul what a load of rubbish!!! Tilapia is one of the most delicious fish your ever going to eat, its white flesh is not fishy it actually is a more like cod or freshwater bass. If you eat one that tasted like mud bad luck that fish wasn't properly cleaned before serving. Like your plants everything in life needs a good flushing. Cannabis, Lobsters, Crayfish and Tilapia

As for the quote Tilapia taste foul what a load of rubbish!!!

Only saying it as it is,maybe my palate isnt as well developed as yours but to me it tasted of crud,there again maybe I am not biast and am not selling fry :unsure: