Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DutchPassionTony

LED's. Dutch Passion thoughts and experience

87 posts in this topic

Electricity cost here In Australia have sky rocketed in the last 12 months 20% last June and another 20-30% coming this August my bill has gone up by $200 a quarter or $800 a year and i would say $60.00 of that cost is my room so Im forking out $240.00 more a year just to grow.

So you can see why Im keen on tweaking my room to get the led at optimal growth

When the next price rise comes through my garden will end up costing me $480.00 a year more in total fucking lot of dollars.

Cheers rasta :smokin:

Edited by rasta

So how much do you pay per KWH ?

And what yield were you getting with HPS ?

So how much do you pay per KWH ?

And what yield were you getting with HPS ?

The KW rate is 34 cents and will be going up to around 40-42 cents in August 2012

In regards to yield the strain Im growing isn't a big yielder but does wonder for my pain

HPS she produced 3 ounces per plant 4 plants 12 ounces

LED she produced 2.625 ounces per plant 4 plants 10.5 ounces

HPS uses 665 watts of power

led uses 326 watts of power

cheers Rasta :smokin:

I guess a seed company grows quite a bit of weed when creating a strain, would you not agree?

Sounds as good a place to as any to ask the question.

Criticising someone for imparting some experience sounds a bit weird to me.

I haven't criticised him.

So DP test grow all there strains with all types of lights?

The rest is Withnailed.

Edited by Owderb

Amazing results if true.

You're getting similar results to me with the HPS - half a gramme per watt - scope for doubling that .. I wonder what's lacking ... in my case it's ventilation.

To be getting twice the yield per watt with a very different light dispersion is odd .. many of us dream of getting 1.1g per watt...

It would help to have a detailed diary for both grows - room dimensions, ventilation, training methods etc, distance of lamp from canopy etc.

A photo paints at least a thousand words ... several even better.

So electricity is approximately twice the price in Oz - thereby halving the payback time to 7 or 8 grows.

For me that would be 7 or 8 years - 15 if I manage to fix my low yield. Perhaps that partly explains my lack of motivation.

Edited by compostverte

Hello guys - please keep the debate going. I am sure we can maintain a civilised tone on the subject of LED. No-one is saying they will overtake HPS in the short term. But further down the line LED has some big performance improvements coming, and substantial price reductions. The graph below shows both of these. Just 2 years ago no-one would even believe that LED would be able to deliver anything like the 'Think Different' harvest that was seen on the competition thread. So the technology is evolving.

gallery_70468_4085_6611.jpg

The chart has 2 lines on it. One line with the dark red data points shows how the lumens produced ('flux') is doubling every couple of years. The LED manufacturers see no end in sight to that trend. Like many solid state electrical devices they just keep improving.

The other line on the chart shows costs reducing each year. As each decade passes, LED for a given power output reduces to 10% of the original cost.

So how long before a 300W system falls within reach of the average joe? It won't be 2 years. But it won't be 10 years either. Like I said, we don't make the LED grow lights. A few years ago hardly anyone grew our beans underneath them. But in the last year in particular we are hearing from more and more people that are using them. So for us it is an interesting trend.

Edited by DutchPassionTony

A lot people are saying about cost of having to add extra heat to your grow, but is your house really that cold? And I bet you don't turn a heater on every time your lights go off? So therefore your plants are suffering colder temps during dark anyway and you still achieve acceptable results.. Surely if the ambiant temp in the room is acceptable (maybe a bit warmer than usual) then that would surfice? We grow plants outside in uk temps, no heaters out there... :unsure:

On the other side of the coin, what about those nightmare roasting hot summer days when your tearing your hair out trying to think of a way to get temps down and stop your plants from cooking under a 600? Also less heat = less humidity so lessons the chances of mould when your flowing during hot months.. There are growers who just refuse to bother and just stop growing indoors during the hot summer months.. For those growers being able to pull off another grow during the summer would soon recoop costs..

The technology has certainly come a long way looking at recent results with the more expensive 300w versions, now its the price that needs to come a long way too.

Edited by S.K.

Amazing results if true.

You're getting similar results to me with the HPS - half a gramme per watt - scope for doubling that .. I wonder what's lacking ... in my case it's ventilation.

To be getting twice the yield per watt with a very different light dispersion is odd .. many of us dream of getting 1.1g per watt...

It would help to have a detailed diary for both grows - room dimensions, ventilation, training methods etc, distance of lamp from canopy etc.

A photo paints at least a thousand words ... several even better.

So electricity is approximately twice the price in Oz - thereby halving the payback time to 7 or 8 grows.

For me that would be 7 or 8 years - 15 if I manage to fix my low yield. Perhaps that partly explains my lack of motivation.

Hey mate yeh power is fucking dear here the federal government has allowed the power companies to raise the cost buy up to 30% a year for 3 years to cover a huge upgrade of a fucked system so we have to pay (bastards).

The next 1 is number 2 (2012) so another coming in 2013 we will end up paying 50-55 cents per KW because the power companies are unable to manage there money (dickwads)

In regards to a diary im going to start 1 in 3-5 weeks when i get the new tent up and running will be a 2.4x1.2x2.0 600hps one side and the 336 led on the other side 3 plants under each light super cropped with 2 plants in the middle to capture the overlapping light.

These 2 will not be included in the trial only the 3 under each will be counted

I will make it as detailed as i can nutes/stretch/pics/growth/final weight not sure how good this first 1 will be tho new tent might need a little tweaking but will see how it goes.

The second grow will be betta i think as i have 10 fem shiva skunk to pop and put in maybe I might put 8 in and put 2 nlxbb in the middle for the overlapping light.

Any way i will do a detailed grow diary on both first 1 will be cocco second grow will be cannas bio nutes (organic)

Ok cheers all Rasta :smokin:

A lot people are saying about cost of having to add extra heat to your grow, but is your house really that cold? And I bet you don't turn a heater on every time your lights go off? So therefore your plants are suffering colder temps during dark anyway and you still achieve acceptable results.. Surely if the ambiant temp in the room is acceptable (maybe a bit warmer than usual) then that would surfice? We grow plants outside in uk temps, no heaters out there... :unsure:

On the other side of the coin, what about those nightmare roasting hot summer days when your tearing your hair out trying to think of a way to get temps down and stop your plants from cooking under a 600? Also less heat = less humidity so lessons the chances of mould when your flowing during hot months.. There are growers who just refuse to bother and just stop growing indoors during the hot summer months.. For those growers being able to pull off another grow during the summer would soon recoop costs..

The technology has certainly come a long way looking at recent results with the more expensive 300w versions, now its the price that needs to come a long way too.

Some good points there S.K with me heat is a huge issue in summer with temps outside hitting a whopping 34c even 42c in February (hottest month) average is 34 tho but still i grow good pot with those temps.

Winter it gets down to 6-8c at night so that's when i use the minute timer fans on for 1 minute every 6 or 7 minutes keeps the room nice and warm and dosent affect the growth one bit

A lot people are saying about cost of having to add extra heat to your grow, but is your house really that cold? And I bet you don't turn a heater on every time your lights go off

In the cooler months Oct-May I have an heater come on as soon as lights go off because even in the day when my lights are off it gets too cold and I'm in a tent in a small bedroom. My extract is on 24/7 which I believe is the right thing to do which I know doesnt help with temps but plants need to breathe

Most people grow at night in the uk and temps especially for 6 months out of the year are very cold and if your lights give out hardly any heat your room could be too cold especially at root level, I know mine would, and anyone who says cold root balls dont affect growth is seeing things differently from me

When you have a full canopy it can get really cold at pot level, even with an HPS on

Owd

Edited by Owderb
3 people like this

Totally agree the roots need to be warm for optimal growth have you tried a minute timer for the fan say 1 minute on every 4 or 5 minutes i haven't noticed any difference in the growth of my plants in winter and the roots well pots seem to be warmer to me when i do this.

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed

Haitz's law is a law of physical phenomena. Like Moore's law. and like the former, its basically exponential. says in the article All other light sources will be replaced by LEDs by 2020.

So its a question of when, not if.

Now I know a moderate bit about electronics, and LEDs are cheap as chips to buy individually (I.e. not wired up) and easy to wire up.

So the question I'm asking myself (and please feel free to point out the obvious) is -

whats so special about these "panels" (arrays) that they cost one large?

(apart from this industry's usual money grubbing)

and can we work out how to do it for less. Is the panel a reflector also?

Haitz's law is a law of physical phenomena. Like Moore's law. and like the former, its basically exponential. says in the article All other light sources will be replaced by LEDs by 2020.

So its a question of when, not if.

Now I know a moderate bit about electronics, and LEDs are cheap as chips to buy individually (I.e. not wired up) and easy to wire up.

So the question I'm asking myself (and please feel free to point out the obvious) is -

whats so special about these "panels" (arrays) that they cost one large?

(apart from this industry's usual money grubbing)

and can we work out how to do it for less. Is the panel a reflector also?

Your right they are cheap i think the main cost is the housing they use plus the lenses that hydrogrow use cost a bit.

I was looking on ebay and you can buy High output leds for $1.20 each that's still $400 for the leds in my unit then

leds $1.20 x 336

power supples $20.00 each x 6

fans $20.00 each x 6

heat sinks $8.80 x 16

lenses $15.00 x 16

wire say $10.00

Housing $50.00

That's a total of $1084

my unit cost me around $1600 and dont forget the supplier has to make a buck then the hydro store needs to make a buck so you can see how costly it is

I know the supplier wont be paying this price for parts but you or I would so for that little extra you get a well made unit with warranty

I forgot the PCB also they cost $8.00 each x 16 so thats another $128.00 to ad to the cost of building 1 yourself and then freight for the supplier for the parts

Edited by rasta

This is what my unit looks like

post-12739-0-74467800-1329348434_thumb.png

post-12739-0-68598000-1329348482_thumb.png

post-12739-0-78855000-1329348539_thumb.png