Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trichomedome

Fishing ? Surely There,s Other Fishers ?

82 posts in this topic

Fishing who,s into fishing and what do they fish for ? I love fishing 80% of it is salmon and sea trout, but i also like fishing for wild brown trout. I live a stone throw from imo some of the best trout fishing in scotland the upper reaches of the clyde. I also fish the river nith the tweed,tay,the earn in fact all over scotland. owd if you happen to read this i,ve seen your " rod reel and relaxation" and wonderd what it is you fish for. well i,ll see how this goes for now ? CR

Edited by cantregister

sorry found the right place

i love fishing (carp)...the trouble is im crap at it!!...tbh i just like the peace n quiet!!

Im also a carp fisherman but to be honest I think I prefer the setting up of my fancy rigs and getting a base camp set up with my bivvy etc than actually fishing! I used to go sea fishing with my auld man when he was still with us, really enjoyed that whether it be fishing off the dock or going out in the little boat.

Trout, Salmon and Sea-Trout man here. Also fish the Nith (1 week in October annually). I tie flies for my own use as well. Nothing like reeling in a fish caught with your own fly.

Bio

Same as Biokid . I spend a lot of time in July/August dryfly fishing .

Although i'd never fish for stocked rainbow trout or on man made reservoirs . A flashy lure is something i wouldn't be tying up unless it was for someone else

Yup, dry fly or minnow fishing for wild brownies is one of the passions of my outdoor life. I really should start tying my own flies too.

Another carper here...

You cant beat that buzz when your alarm goes screaming off & you hook into a big old warrior.

Ive only been into it a few years,still learning to be honest.

Carrying all that gear tho :wallbash: & then blanking,ohh the joys!

Tightlines.

Penny.

Mackrel and whitey, don't know why but sitting aside a river holds nothing on me, i'm more a sea fisher, got a boat but in middle selling it, to hopefully find sommat better. Much prefer to go 5 miles out to sea and find a wreck and see what i get. BUT....I've always wanted to try some salmon fishing in scotland but not too sure how to go about it. :wallbash:

Although i'd never fish for stocked rainbow trout or on man made reservoirs . A flashy lure is something i wouldn't be tying up unless it was for someone else

" A purist lol"

Has either of you been to orkney ? the wild brown trout fishing is unmatched £20 or £30 for more lochs than you can shake a stick at. I wouldn,t say i,m strict no rainbow, i,ve had some good days at them but wild brown,sea trout and salmon are tops for me Edited by cantregister

I loved fishing out in a boat off the south coast or in the Bristol channel, my best time was catching spur-dogs, basically small sharks but with 2" poisonous spikes behind their fins :fear: i`ve only ever seen them in the channel on that one day because it was so calm for the channel that was the only time we could hang around the middle, catching skate on carp gear is a blast too lol this was all about ten years ago so i don`t know what the state of the fishing is like now, the only fishing i`ve done in the past couple of years is mackerel off of Beer, well, tbh we didn`t catch a single fish and ended getting pissed and stoned trying to get each other soaked from boat to boat lol

Has either of you been to orkney ? the wild brown trout fishing is unmatched £20 or £30 for more lochs than you can shake a stick at. I wouldn,t say i,m strict no rainbow, i,ve had some good days at them but wild brown,sea trout and salmon are tops for me

Pay to fish ? River management is only for rivers that are fished by hundreds of anglers.

I'd pay for a day ticket to fish a weir for salmon just for a day out maybe but Salmon fishing hasn't that element of hunting like there is in mimicking an insect , or watching a trout rise and sip your fly down , eyes straining to see and then knowing the split second when to bend into a fish .

Or upstream nymphing ,you have to be fast and usually depending on the take you'd be going for a tarpoon strike , at an angle to hook the fish in the top lip .

Having said that the feeling of a salmon on a light trout rod is incredible . What I like to do to relax is sit down with a worm but rarely am I relaxed when I'm fishing during mayfly or sedges . blue winged olives in July .That's good sport , heart in mouth stuff !

Yup, dry fly or minnow fishing for wild brownies is one of the passions of my outdoor life. I really should start tying my own flies too.

the problem with the minnow is not a lot of people can fish it properly, So it,s banned at most rivers usualy by those who can,t fish it. Like a penny i,ve only fished for the last 4-5 yrs, other than when i was a lad drowning worms lol. Luckly i come from a family of fishers so when i got back into it i had plenty of advice on hand.

Another specimen carp hunter here lol but its starting to feel like I'm camping with a purpose.

After many nights of motionless alarms I've come to enjoy the sense of being one with nature

The only gripe I have is all the : try this new wonder bait/rig/tackle speel given out by the fishing industry, come on guys all you need is a worm on the hook and a thermos of tomato soup

1 person likes this