Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Percy Bud

The (possible) history of Skunk#1

494 posts in this topic

On a recent search for info about the history of Skunk#1, I found a couple of good posts on the MNS forum.

Originally posted by Outkast seeds on Roll it up, then re-posted by Elmer Bud on MSN.

Skunk #1 Story

Skunk#1 was the result of a communal breeding effort by a small clique of breeders who worked the coastal hills surrounding the Bay Area. The first "skunk" plant (C.Gold x AFG unstable) was not discovered by this group but, Jingles who cut the unstable line, but kept this one special plant for his personal garden. This was around '69 or so. anyway, the clone made its way round the club and soon this Bay Area group decided to adopt it as a project.

With the C.Gold mom used by Jingles as well as the Haze Bros they set about trying to create a stable version of Jingles "skunk". The result would be known as Skunk#1. Columbian Gold x Acapulco Gold/Afghani There are better people around here to tell you the exact details, not the least whom is Sam_Skunkman over @ TFD. Yes it's him.

My understanding of the SK#1 breeding group is that it started very small and grew as time went by. SkMan starting out as a Jr grower in the late 60's and rising to the level of chief breeder and seedmaker for the seed co.

in the late 70's/early 80's. It was supposed to have been very difficult to join this group and a prospect would first have to be sponsored by a member of the inner circle then be required to breed out a certain number of versions of Sk#1 from both clones provided by the club as well as genetics they provided themselves. This way they assured quality control and widened the gene pool at the same time. The original unstable "model skunk"plant was a direct cross of C.Gold x Afg. But the Bay Area people soon found out how difficult it was going to be to cross a C.Gold to anything. So it was found that it was easier to cross these difficult plants to a plant that was already hybridized. Hence the Introduction of A. Gold into the mix. This also apparently added two other favourable traits. In addition to making crosses easier, high GCA has been stated by Clark as one of the goals of the breeders, the A. Gold also marginally reduced flower time but most important was its addition to calyx/leaf ratio. If you turn to P 248 of Mels Dlx you will find a pic of four mexican colas. Notice the two shots on the bottom are taken against the background of Sandy W's barn. I'm almost 100% sure the plant on the lower right is A. Gold and about 90% that it's the primary A. Gold mom in Sk#1. Notice the foxtail style buds and hi C/L. Now imagine this crossed to an Afghani, starting to get the picture? By the way most but not all of the Afghanis were from MLW.

As I said earlier most of the Sacred Seeds breeding groups suffered disasters of one sort or another in the early days and in the case of Sk#1 it was the dreaded botrytis cinerea, grey mould. Introduced by some of the early Afghani crosses it kicked of a massive afghan genetics hunt/torture test. And while the late great Maple Leaf Wilson provided most of the genes they scowered every nook and cranny for an Afghani ;0. Many non Skunk#1 members of the Sacred Seeds who were also working on their own projects got involved.

I already spoke about Sandy W's indolent and there were apparently others though the only one I am reasonably sure of was an East Bay biker/Vietnam Vet who went by the handle "Mendocino Joe", who as you can probably guess by his name he was supposed to have been one of the founders of the Trinity grow scene. Joe was working on a grape/pepper flavoured mostly afgani hybrid not related to Sk#1, but he had a large collection of genetics and was a good grower and so he was included in the torture tests. The ultimate result of these tests was a special line called Skunk#18.2 (Sk#1 x Afg bx-1). It is a line that imparts incredible hardiness and pest/disease resistance on its offspring.

The Skunkman brought several kilos of these seeds with him along with his other stuff when he moved to holland in '82 in the wake of his release from prison. As far as I know he has only given these seeds to Nevil, Shanti, and Wernhard from Positronics. (ever wonder why Shiva Skunk {NL#5 x SK#1) is so resistant to spider mites?)

In the wake of the Sacred Seeds bust in '82, "Mendocino Joe" moved to the Vancouver islands and changing his handle to "Romulan" Joe bringing with him some early Sk#1s or derivatives, a line of Central Ithsmus lowland Thai that may have been purchased from the Haze Bros and of course his grape/pepper flavoured indica strain, Romulan. Soon to be a BC classic. It was these lines that Pr. Ziggy @ Federation seeds in BC was supposed to have purchased from old Joe shortly before his death, and are offered as Island Sweet Skunk, Golden Triangle Thai, and Romulan. Torture tests and "inoculations" were mostly done outdoors with special patches of extra clones in an isolated area, which were then deliberately infected. Deceased and pest riddled local plants would be transplanted into these special gardens and then the plants were tested to destruction while the growers watched and made note of the strongest individuals. Sacred Seeds was all about division of labor.It's one of the ways they accomplished so much in so little time and they used natural selection to work in their favour. Skunk#1 first went on sale in '78 or '79. As far as I know it was the only strain that Sacred Seeds didn't give a discount on orders over 1k seeds. Seeds were 2$ a piece and people bitched about prices even back then. Especially that no discount thing But like the Hazes (which could sellout a year ahead) SK#1 sold out every year. The seeds were sold as F1's made if I recall with a F ? filial plant backcrossed to one of the original parents. Due to the communal nature of the project, there were many parents as each breeder included his own variation, Skunk#1s bred from the same P1 stock but often getting to the goal a different way, for instance some variations used C.Gold on the male side. With tight control over the P1s the breeders could assure their stated goal of making true breeding stock but with the widest possible gene pool they could also be sure to achieve both high SCA and GCA. also stated goals of the project.

SCA : ht tp://www.pnas.org/content/102/20/7180.figures-only

GCA :ht tp://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=GCA

Now I can tell you from personal experience that exactly what constituted a "skunk" was a matter of just a little debate but they basically came down into camps which actually carried forward into the Dutch world. The "Sweet Skunk" camp, which including the SkMan, and the "Stinky Skunk" camp. In terms of modern Sk#1 the CC/TFD Skunkman bred "the Pure" is bred for more consistent plants and towards the SkMans ideal Sk#1. While the stinky side of the house would be best represented by the SeedBank/Mr Nice skunks which also have more variation in types like the earlier California skunks. I must state here that there is no right answer, its a matter of taste and a debate that’s been going for on about 30 years. In '82 I came home one night and turned on the TV. Just as they went to commercial the news bimbo teased the story, "coming right up after this" police official say they got the source of the skunk. Yeah right I thought, we'd heard these claims before, always to be followed by shot of some deputies pulling three scraggly plants from some poor sucker's patch. This time it was different, this time they were standing in front of a warehouse.

Sacred Seeds was busted in '82. The Skunkman was arrested and the cops were in position of the groups main seedmaking op. But this bunch was savvy and had pre-paid bail bonds/lawyers on retainer and so SkMan was out in a matter of hours. And so began one of the greatest capers in Sacred Seeds history.

An event I will call "the great rootball rescue". Skunkman, out on bail and eager to find out the condition of his grow rooms stakes out the grow to make sure the cops aren't waiting there for him. After sitting for hours he finally gets over his paranoia and makes a cursory recon and can't believe what he finds, the cops in either there arrogance or ignorance have left the place secured with only police tape. checking the grow as well as the dumpster out back the found many plants cut well above the first node and some that had been simply pulled from their containers and tossed whole. the dumpster was also full of seeds and it was obvious that the cops had broken many seed containers but because there were so many eventually just started throwing jars out whole. the cops had left all the stuff there until morning when they could properly catalogue it, including all the grow equip. Skunkman sprang into action, called a number of the un-busted members of the club and the "great rootball rescue" was under way. His friends showed up and they literally stripped the place of every thing useful. Lights were sold to pay legal fees, the rootballs, including the Haze mom SkMan has to this day were nursed back to health by the people who escaped prosecution and the police were left with a distinct lack of evidence. Causing some of the cases to collapse entirely and some, like SkMan to serve greatly reduced sentences. If they’d gotten him on everything they wanted him for he'd still be there. Instead, He served less than a year and on his release he collected up his strains from his friends, including Sk#18.2 rescued from the dumpster and made his way to Amsterdam were he founded Cultivators Choice seed co, named after the top award at the annual Sacred Seeds harvest fests held in Nor Cal from 67-83. A year later Skunkmans new friend acquire a second batch of Sacred Seeds Sk#1 seeds. When Cultivators Choice went out of biz a few year later Nevil bought most of their stock. While both worked from the same set of Sk#1 females each has there own males (breeders never give up a male) selected from the only two importations of authentic Sk#1 into Holland.

The Cultivators Choice variation is the one offered by TFD as "the Pure" The SeedBank version is @ Mr Nice, Shanti's Shit is his Sk#1/Afg variation with "Pure Shit" aka pure Sk#1 upcoming.

Neville adds these comments;

As I've always said, I believe that Maple leaf is behind SK1. AfgT is archetypical Skunk. The original Super Skunk (AfgTxSk1) made SK1 seem like a pale shadow of the hybrid. I never believed that Afgani#1 had anything to do with SK1.

Jingles is Sams old nick name (one of many).

N.

And;

Yes you are and thank you for a useful question.

Skunk#1 has useful characteristics not found in the Maple Leaf line. SK1 has unparalleled calyx to leaf ratio, a sativa like trait that I'm guessing came from a Mexican ancestor. Despite carrying many sativa traits, SK1 is as early as the Afghan ancestor. SK1 is an inbred line that throws true to type. Being a sativa dominant strain, SK1 provides a nice balance to indica dominant types.

Mostly, when people buy seeds, they are looking to grow the ideal plant, according to their taste. Smell, taste, high and yield, along with resin production are the basics. This must be achieved in a plant that flowers as early as possible. After that it's cosmetics.

Smell and taste have some correlation with the high and defines type.

Yield usually can be improved by hybrid vigour, along with careful matching of types. You lengthen the bud with sativa and you flesh it out with indica. Bud structure determines yield. Resin quantity is improved with indica, usually at the expense of yield.

Generally indicas flower earlier than sativas. It is often the late sativas that "fizz" with indicas. More yield at the expense of flowering time.

Breeding the ultimate hybrid is often a question of combining extreme characteristics from a number of lines in one hybrid. No pure breeding line has it all. A lot of work goes into creating these super hybrids. The objective is for every packet of seeds to contain something special. It's an individual plant that wins a cup. It's my job to stack the odds in favour of the grower.

Super Skunk was the most popular strain ever released by quantity of seed sold. Many lines have been created from this hybrid and SS is a part of most modern SK strains. There were a range of types that could be selected for and each breeder has put his stamp on the line by the choices he makes. The breeders who focussed on yield, lost some of the punch, which accounts for the bland sweet types. Those who focussed on resin and skunkyness lost some of the yield. Rarely is anything as good as the original F1.

N.

It would be interesting to know if there's anyone on this site that can add to this story.

P :smokin:

5 people like this

Not a bad little story. I've no idea how accurate it is, but it's an interesting read :)

1 person likes this

Skunk#1.doc

heres summat I found here a while ago very interesting

jingles is another name that Sam the skunkman went under

Edited by r3d

ive grown a fair bit of c/gold , now thats a big friggin plant if ever there was 1 , smells like love hearts ! 16-20 week flowers was a laugh a minute ( no it bloody wasnt but still ) , iva also had a play with acapulco which wasnt great , panama red was interesting as it looks a bit burnt off , as for afgan wellllllllllll i was gifted some seeds from an american friend whos sadly dead now , hes was an american india ( it gets more surreal dont worry ) who had lost his legs at war ( i didnt want to ask which 1 ) , turns out he was some sort of special ops , anyway whist out and about hes in afganistan and loves his green , he finds a wild source and goes to town , he brings bits home and its where i came in , skip on years i sent the old bugger some seed and in return he offers to send me some of his , he then sends these accross and i think ``what the hell i can germ the top of a maccy burger so lets give it a try `` , the result from this wild afgan was a beauty , i mean it was a stunner , frosty as you like , a beauty in pinks and purple , a progressive stone that got you massed , funky fruity powdery taste to it , just all round brilliant , ive still got it around somewhere seeing as i made about 5000 seeds accidently ( forgot to turn the bloody fan off with a male in the room , oops )

My link

anyway grown a few skunk 1 out and i do wonder at times

7 people like this

intresting read dude. waiting for more peeps to add it it

Hi r3d, thanks for the post, there's also a good piece on G13 in there. :yep:

I found a pic from the 1987 Seed Bank catalogue with a more Sativa leaning Skunk#1.

post-52842-0-82022300-1323967484_thumb.jpg

:spliff:

eta Just to point out the bit of text that says "sweet",.Not skunky, even back then.

Edited by Percy Bud

sam skunkman really makes me sick, he was an informant, that is why many humble canna growers/breeders in the san fransisco bay area went to jail for a long time, and lost almost everything, while he stole their seeds and ran to Amsterdam with them, claiming them to be his own. he is an amateur breeder at best. he helped with skunk number 1, though certainly didnt create it. He also did not give Neville his haze seeds, 100% fact.

Skunkman has spent his time in trying to corner the coming legal cannabis market by getting on the top of the government distribution. So obviously, he must have some kind of connection to get to this level and that is why Sam the Skunkman has problems with credibility.

He also gathered info for the DEA on Neville Shoemaker, the true king of cannabis, a legend in my eyes, this man is responsible for 50% of what we toke today, and created many legendary strains. Neville had to go on the run from the DEA for years, though they eventully caught up with him and tried to extradite him, though Holland would not allow this to happen.

Sam resides on another canna site, and the whole site is a total joke, full of lies to mislead anyone who may venture there. They ban members on an hourly basis if they post anything that would shed some real light on the rip offs who fund the site.

This canna community has a lot of shady dishonest money grabbing characters who will hopefully fade away one day, but will all the bullshit stories and lies, its hard to see the truth through shit stained glasses

9 people like this

I think you will find sam skunkman did give nevil the seeds jim 100% true

Nevil was on the boards last year and said he got them from sam

I think the yrs 66,67,68,69,70 was on the bags off sam only 7 popped and from them, all the legends were made

1 person likes this

RIP Skunk No.1.

2 people like this

iv got 30 sam the skunkman skunk 1 x haze in the fridge :spliff: just checked there mixed seeds x skunk1 x haze :spliff:

Edited by davie blah

RIP Skunk No.1.

You must be kidding Arnold, she's alive in nearly every modern hydrid. Even your beloved Blues.

As for mum.

I'm optimistic that early, viable seeds are still lurking in stashes. Maybe it's time to dig them out.

iv got 30 sam the skunkman skunk 1 x haze in the fridge :spliff:

No good it the fridge Dave, sprout those puppies. :yep:

Percy, I first smoked Skunk No.1 at the end of the last century, about '95 or so. By 1999(?) I was growing it for myself. Back then, all Skunk had a distinctive aroma it was totally unique. As was the hit.

I have not smelled that smell since 2001 or thereabouts. I've tried popping more seeds than enough, and I get good weed but it is not the same as No.1 used to be.

Many other lovers of the original agree over this too.

Blues stands out, because it is so very different from what Sk.1 used to be. I guess the smell and taste marked it off as a cut worth keeping. I love it to bits, but it ain't the same as Skunk no.1. Even though that is its true origin, I believe.

I am not dissing the current releases, please understand. But the original Skunk no.1 flavour and smell and hit, has been long been absent as far as I can tell. I grew Sensi's two current releases a while back. Very good. But not the same.

2 people like this

^ I would reserve your judgement until having tried Mr Nice Shit. He purposefully bred it so that it had a longer flowering time and recaptured the essence of the older version.

I've also grown and smoked pre 2000 Skunks. My first seeds were perchased in the early 90's from the SSB.

So I understand the change.

Could your pallette have changed in this time? As I feel memories of Ganja can often end up rose tinted.

1 person likes this

i just checked there and the seeds iv got are samtheskunkman skunk1 x haze x mixed seeds heres some more info if anybody wants them il send a pack into the site as percy says no good sitting in the fridge im never going to get round to growing them :spliff:

(MIXED Batch Many different varieties, accidently mixed, new seeds)

Sleestack/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1

KandyKush/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1

OG18/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1

Hindu Kush X Sk1

Hindu Kush/Sk1 X Sk1

Cal Orange/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1

Afgh #1 X Sk1

Skunk #1 X Sk1

NLA/Sk1 X Sk1

G13/Sk1 X Sk1

OTP/Sk1 X Sk1

OTR/Sk1 X Sk1