Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Danger Doom

Do buds still dry in the jars?

33 posts in this topic

My buds are feeling dry to the touch but still a bit sticky, still a tiny bit moist when ground up.

If I put them in jars now will they still dry but just slower, or does it stop the drying process al together?

Cheers.

If they are airtight then the buds won't get any drier. The moisture will disperse evenly throughout whats in the jar. Have you already cured them mate ? If not then check some of the threads on here as you want to get it right.

2 people like this

Ok cool.

Nah I haven't cured them yet, they are still on the drying rack. I will wait untill they grind up nice then put them in jars.

Stems should snap like twigs man. If you underdo it you will have excess moisture in the jar. Which will make your bid smell fuckin awful. If its to dry. You can throw a leaf or apple peel in the jar for a bit to put some moisture back in there. When you jar them up check them a couple times in that day. The moisture will spread evenly as said. Should be easy to tell if they still need time out of the jar. Enjoy ya smoke mate.

3 people like this

Sounds to me like the perferct time to put them into brown paper bags for a few days before going in to jars :skin_up:

Edited by HailCannabis
1 person likes this

I am having kind of the same problem.

I have jarred mine up today, the buds were dry but the stems were not, they did snap but not cleanly.

This is why i think the stem snapping thing doesnt apply at all times.

Dont you need a bit of moisture in the buds before they hit the jar as opposed to no moisture (very dry buds), to bring out the flavour and smell and also to help with the smoothness of the smoke.

Thats what i believe anyway, i think it works well

My NL stems never snap clean however long you leave them. But you can tell when it's dry, it's just plain dry...

If you have to get them in jars for whatever reason, before they're fully dry, stick a sachet of silica gel in the jar with your buds. That'll remove any excess moisture.

Evening,

I have jarred mine up today, the buds were dry but the stems were not, they did snap but not cleanly.

My NL stems never snap clean however long you leave them.

Do you mean the main stem of the plant ? Clean snapping one of those is difficult even when it's been dried for months.

The stem that a floral cluster has grown around is the one to check - the one running through the bud. It should snap cleanly or grind up with no apparent moisture difference from the rest of the material. The cluster itself should break apart when ground between your fingers.

This is why i think the stem snapping thing doesnt apply at all times.

It does if you're talking about the correct stem. The only stem which should be in the jars as you can't remove it without destroying the cluster itself.

Dont you need a bit of moisture in the buds before they hit the jar as opposed to no moisture (very dry buds), to bring out the flavour and smell and also to help with the smoothness of the smoke.

Thats what i believe anyway, i think it works well

Yes however not to the extent that the moisture level is apparent to us. Material which is really 100% dry will crumble to dust. If you haven't taken the time to dry it properly prior to jarring expect similar results to the most recent victim of mould.

- Kafka

5 people like this

just jar em when thi pretty much snapping n make sure to burp every day.simple no fuckin about wi brown paper bags n shit like that.

If I put them in jars now will they still dry but just slower, or does it stop the drying process al together?

Cheers.

That's what burping the jars do , remove the moisture from the buds ,so yeah they'll keep drying as long as you burp them jars

Just keep an eye on them every day until they dry properly ,if buds get moist in there get them out for 5 minutes or so to let the moisture escape

If you let them dry properly before them go in the jars then you don't have to worry about burping every day ,and yes they will still cure nicely because even if is bone dry to the touch there is still a small percentage of moisture inside them to carry out the curing process

in fact..WHY would folks wanna put budds in a brown bag b4 the jars? :unsure::yinyang:

Evening,

My NL stems never snap clean however long you leave them.

Do you mean the main stem of the plant ? Clean snapping one of those is difficult even when it's been dried for months.

The stem that a floral cluster has grown around is the one to check - the one running through the bud. It should snap cleanly or grind up with no apparent moisture difference from the rest of the material. The cluster itself should break apart when ground between your fingers.

Sorry i should of made my self clear, i was talking about the branch stems between the buds like you are.

My bud stems were still not snapping when i jarred them up though i fear i may have dried them too quickly (6-7 days), the buds were a tiny bit sticky what do you suggest i do mate?

The buds are still dry and crispy to the touch but they are becoming increasingly sticky, they have been in the jars for nearly 24 hours.

Its just the smell or taste hasnt got any better, still is ok though.

How many times should i be burping? i am doing it for 30 mins 3-4 times a day.

I am new to curing, used to try but have always smoked my crop before it got to its best.

:spliff:

Edited by bud_boi

That's what burping the jars do , remove the moisture from the buds ,so yeah they'll keep drying as long as you burp them jars

Just keep an eye on them every day until they dry properly ,if buds get moist in there get them out for 5 minutes or so to let the moisture escape

If you let them dry properly before them go in the jars then you don't have to worry about burping every day ,and yes they will still cure nicely because even if is bone dry to the touch there is still a small percentage of moisture inside them to carry out the curing process

FYI : Curing requires oxygen - which is why people burp jars. Stale air is removed and fresh air allowed in which continues the curing process.

I'm quite amazed this isn't common knowlege :(

in fact..WHY would folks wanna put budds in a brown bag b4 the jars? :unsure::yinyang:

It allows the remaining moisture level to even out once the majority has been removed by the main dry. Stem cores still wet ? Bag it.

- Kafka

1 person likes this

just jar em when thi pretty much snapping n make sure to burp every day.simple no fuckin about wi brown paper bags n shit like that.

I'v always done this , every crop. Right about that time when the outside of the bud seem a little crisp but the stem is still not as snappy as you want I feel going into paper bags for 2-3 days seems to even out the moisture content perfectly, ready for jars. I dont know the science behind it, I just know it works for me so I stay doing it...

Edited by HailCannabis
1 person likes this